+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cost of Hip Resurfacing  (Read 1756 times)

thcaster

Cost of Hip Resurfacing
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:40:49 AM »
Newby here and thank you for putting this site together and exhanging all the great information.  One of my biggest concerns is the cost to have this done in the US.  I live in Colorado and saw 2 of the doctors in your list I've been researching with BHR.  I will obviously need to check with my insurance company, but wanted to get some feed back as to the overall cost of the BHR procedure.
Thanks, Trent.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Cost of Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:06:15 AM »
Hi Trent
Welcome to Hip Talk.

Unfortunatetly it is difficult to predict the cost of a hip resurfacing surgery.  Most doctors and hospitals won't tell you up front.  It is the US medical system.

I can tell you that you use to be able to have hip resurfacing surgery with Dr. Gross for about $25,000 up front - not including travel, food and hotel costs.  All the other surgeons have a much higher cost.  It is like pulling teeth to get a hosptial or doctor give you an estimated cost in the US.

It is best to work with your insurance company if possible.  Find a good experienced surgeon that they will cover. 

I went to Belgium to Dr. De Smet because I coud not afford surgery in the US.  I don't have health insurance and can't get it.  It cost me a total of $18,000 for the complete trip for my husband and I including all the medical costs, travel, plane, food and hotel.  The medical cost was $13,500    That has changed since the dollar has gotten weaker.

You can go to Dr. Bose in India for $10,000 to $12,000 total including first class air fare.

Many of us have gone overseas because we wanted really experienced surgeons and could not afford surgery in the US.  Since the FDA approved the BHR in 2006, there are now many more surgeons available and some are becoming experienced. You can check my list out for doctors and their stats  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Many people have had to fight and make appeals with their insurance companies. Here are some appeals that were successful  http://www.surfacehippy.info/insuranceappealinfo.php

Here is Vicky's most up to date costs on traveling overseas  http://www.surfacehippy.info/costofhipresurfacing.php  and other people's costs.

I hope that helps you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rlm869

Re: Cost of Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:36:52 AM »
i asked this question when i first got on the board and no one answered, but i totally understand why. all insurance companies are different and it really depends on your coverage. i have a VERY high deductible, so that was $2500 out of my pocket from the start. but, my out of pocket max per year is $7500 and after that my insurance pays 100%. so, you could basically say i am paying $7500 for my surgery. i can tell you, this is nothing compared to what the total bills have been.

just check out your plan and call them if you need to, that is what they are there for. unless you can afford the out of pocket for going overseas, it is your best bet to find a surgeon your insurance company will work with.
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz