+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One year milestone  (Read 4516 times)

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
One year milestone
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:47 AM »
Today is my 1 year anniversary of my first BHR, and it has been quite a year indeed.  Starting with the presurgical jitters (Ok, outright panic at times) for a couple months leading up to it, through the first few rollercoaster weeks of recovery after #1 which were far from easy, the rush of having no more OA pain on that side, the many little bumps (which seemed huge at the time) and many small and celebrated victories along the way, then a second BHR 4.5 months later, have all added up to a markedly improved, super smooth hip action that I could not even conceive up prior to all of this.  If I had known how well this would have turned out, I would not have waited so long to get it done, and certainly would have not worried so much about it.

I have followed all restrictions, did all the post op exercises religiously, walked every day a couple times at least, and gone about all my normal vigorous outside and inside work and fun pretty much as normal, with simple muscle soreness and stiffness that subsides over time.  My October 2011 BHR is only sore now when I do too much, and rarely stiff or at all troublesome.  All squeaking has subsided (the other hip never squeaked).

I feel amazingly blessed to have had such an incredibly good surgeon and surgical/recovery team, such a supportive and tolerant spouse, two everpresent canine "therapy assistants", and of course all the outrageously superlative, massively informed, unbelievably unselfish, really funny, and supportive Hippy's here, that all combined to make a very, very difficult situation seem simply easy.  I am humbled and eternally grateful to everyone here for your help and support, so Thank You from the bottom of my acetabular cups, particularly but in no way limited to Pat, Boomer, Hernanu, Kiwi, Curt, Tin, Woody, Danny, 2fer, Dozer, Biscuit, and so many others.  You are a unique bunch of people and the bond that exists in this community is beyond description, and the profound appreciation I have for all of you will remain with me the rest of my life.

There are a number of frosty beverages in my near future to celebrate this, probably combined with some aglio olio, cobalt-chrome enabled "gymnastics", and a huge campfire as soon as possible (but not necessarily in that order).

Best regards.

Dan

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:22:04 AM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

Re: One year milestone
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »
Congrats Dan! Really good to see you in this place.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

OtterDriver

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
Happy Anniversary Dan! 

Always encouraging to hear the good reports...enjoy the celebrations!

Bruce

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »
Happy birthday to your new bionic hips dan! ;)
I'm not far from my first year anniversary my self :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for the wonderful update and inspirational post! I have been following your footsteps closely since starting my resurfacing journey. You have been a great guide. Except for insisting upon doing yardwork and other labor for which resurfaced hips are entirely unsuited for.

I will raise a couple of glasses for you tonight to celebrate your milestone. We are fortunate to be part of such a unique Hippy community.

Boomer

RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Dozer26

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
Rock on, Dan! As Im literally following in your footsteps (same surgeon, bilat, etc.), I'm in your debt for the insight and encouragement. Really helped me through the days of worry and frustration over my apparent lack of progress. I'm very happy for you on your anniversary and will tell Biscuit when she gets home about your good news/success. We'll both be looking forward to the next update.

Until then, take care!

Dozer
Bilat BHR Dr. Brooks, Cleveland Clinic
Jan/May 2012

luann again

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
Yeah Dan! You go!!! Congrats and thank you do much for sharing. Here' s to many more hippy birthdays! Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
Congratulations Dan, great post.  It's amazing how fast time goes by when you are feeling good.  Now it's time to enjoy life again.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Dan L

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
Thanks everyone, the encouragement is much appreciated. The year has flown by, both sides continue to improve at a steady rate.  Looking forward to a beautiful fall weekend in WNY and vigorous Fun of the hip-friendly kind.

Getting close to resuming some volunteer work in the Cuyahoga Valley
http://www.nps.gov/cuva/index.htm which was one thing I had to stop months before surgery because of acute bone on bone pain.  It involves a lot of walking on uneven ground and up and down hills and ditches, stooping and lifting, which as you might imagine could aggravate OA and torn labrums. I'm confident the first one is ready, but not sure on the second one, seems close enough, we'll see.   It will be nice just to be back out.

Happy trails,

Dan

phillwad

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
Dan

Thanks for the insight = great to read your story and I agree about yardwork - there was something the doctor said about it should not be done with 2 new hips.  Keep taking the dogs for walks.

Dan L

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 06:42:11 AM »
We got some sunny and pleasant weather yesterday, so I donned my volunteer hat along with my backpack full of garbage bags and spent 3.5 hours cleaning up in our local National Park-- something I had to stop 19 months ago prior to the surgeries.  This effort involves walking along side a parkway, up and down the ditches and hills alongside the road, to clean up the perennial problem of litter created by the morons who see these areas as their personal dumping grounds.  Because of the uneven ground, and the need to stoop, bag and carry for some distance, and walking longer distances generally in heavy hiking boots, this activity had been pretty hard on the hips in the past.

I came through with flying colors.  No nagging bone pain this morning, some understandable muscle stiffness (not much) and very little soreness.  No pain meds needed at all.  I was pretty cautious and protective when going up and down some steeper inclines, and went more slowly than I would have before all of the hip issues, but I was not at all restricted in what I was able to do.  I still have some muscle healing ahead of me, but that is minor and expected.  Prior to the surgeries, I would have had that dull, unavoidable bone-on-bone pain for 3-4 days aferwards, to the point where any pressure would be very uncomfortable.

This, for me, is the "acid test" of my new hips.  I feel like "myself" again.  The miracle of the BHR's continues for me, and I could not feel better about getting my hips fixed.

GBLarry

• Second hip done Oct 10, 2012 after first in 2007.
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »
Good for you Dan!  Milestones and actions are so good to hear about. 
I have 5 years on right side and 5 weeks on the left side this Wednesday, and the newby BHR is working out better than the first.  I plan to be skiing in another 3 months, granted I may not hit all black runs, but I will be out there like before.  Last year I pushed it on the slope with the old hip and just knew it was time for the second one to be done, and I feel better now already than I have in a long time.  Working on all the strength programs I can and have much more lateral movement now than I have in years.  Stairs, workout machines, normal walking is a breeze.  Still have to remind myself that the left sock is one that takes special attention every day.  Now that it's colder here in WI, Ugg boots with no socks are fantastic.
Keep it up and let everyone know how good it is, in the event they are experiencing the 'jitters and panic' that we all knew, just before we got 'fixed'.  I am 66, going on 47 next summer ;)!
Green Bay, Wisconsin. USA

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »
Great test, Dan.

Great report, Larry - good to know you're going on 47, you might want to subtract a bit more given your second hip.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:44:44 AM by hernanu »

Kiwi

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:32 AM »
Hey Dan, great to hear you've ticked over the 1 year mark with your first hip so successfully. You are doing great and have always had a very sensible, yet diligent approach to your rehab.
It does seem a while ago now that a few of us were going through all the early post op 'experiences' together. Congrats on a successful road to date & I wish you all the very best for the coming years. Agree re the bond folk have on this site, it's pretty cool. Check in from time to time... I know I will.
Cheers
Kiwi
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Boomer

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
Congratulations on your recovery Dan! I'm slightly behind you time wise, but agree with everything you said. Amazing to suddenly realize after all the years of suffering that, There is nothing wrong with you!

My recovery has not been as successful as yours in some regards. I tried to rake some leaves last weekend and failed miserably. Dropped the rake after about ten minutes and went for a bike ride instead. No way I am picking up that rake again.

Thanks for the update. You are an inspiration. Welcome back!

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
Congratulations on your recovery Dan! I'm slightly behind you time wise, but agree with everything you said. Amazing to suddenly realize after all the years of suffering that, There is nothing wrong with you!

My recovery has not been as successful as yours in some regards. I tried to rake some leaves last weekend and failed miserably. Dropped the rake after about ten minutes and went for a bike ride instead. No way I am picking up that rake again.

Thanks for the update. You are an inspiration. Welcome back!

Boomer

I see those play hips are staying true to themselves  ::) .

There'll be plenty of leaves when you have your one year on the last one, but that bike path won't wait forever  ;D.

Dan L

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
Larry, Hern Kiwi and Boomer;

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.  It continues to make such a positive difference, and most non-hippys are tired of hearign it, so here I am :>) .

Boomer-- funny you should mention raking.  I also tried some raking a few weeks ago, and found to to be pretty uncomfortable-- I think the lateral motion was a challenge on my 8 month old BHR.  I put the rake away and got the mower out and cleaned up the leaves that way.   Riding my exercise bike does not seem to hurt at all while doing, it is pleasant exercise.  Have not had time to get out on the bike path, but eager too, now looking like springtime.

Thanks again all

Tin Soldier

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »
oops I missed this one back in Oct, sorry Dan.  Nice job on the anniversary.  Agreed, from the bottom of my acetubular cups (Good one!) I too appreciate everyones' support here and I am happy to support others.  Your initial post was very inspring. 

Hey - I broke my rake the other because I was doing too much raking, I could see the twisting being an issue.  Doesn't seem to bother me, but I don't twist much.   Does the yard work ever go away?  Maybe you shoul djust get on the bike regardless of the weather.  Treat yourself to a cool new bike light and good light biking rain coat.  Makes all the dif. 

Congrats!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat