+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Too Much Fun in the Sun!?  (Read 6798 times)

OtterDriver

Too Much Fun in the Sun!?
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:54 AM »
Hello All-

Faced with another potential surgery now and thought I'd ask for anybodies "two cents worth" in regards to Pterygium removal...benign growth on the surface of the eye from too much UV and outside exposure to the elements. 

Any Hippy Types with experience in this arena?

Thanks, Bruce

lycraman

Re: Too Much Fun in the Sun!?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:39 AM »
New one on me, but then we don't get too much sun in the north of the UK!!

Good luck
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
I have a pretty good sized one. Kaiser won't touch it until it moves over the pupil and affects your vision. I know a lot of surfers who have them but do not know of anyone who has had one removed. Please update this post, I'm curious to learn more because while mine isn't affecting my vision, it isn't getting any smaller either. Good luck

OtterDriver

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »
Hello B.I.L.L.-

I was told years ago by a respected Dr. in So-Cal..."leave it alone if it's not bothering you" as they sometimes come back with a vengeance after being removed.  Mine has grown since then and might be affecting my night vision (as the pupil dilates) and is changing the shape of my eye enough to cause an astigmatism!?  New techniques for removal supposedly have better results and I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Bruce

P.S.-Happy Anniversary to my right hip as of today!

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:51 PM »
Happy anniversary, Otter!!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:00:45 AM »

OtterDriver

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »
Hello Hernanu and B.I.L.L. -

Thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Getting back to you B.I.L.L. ...per your request.  I had my pterygium removed in Seattle about six weeks ago.  Dr. Walter Rotkis was recommended to me.  I did some research on him (and his technique), met with him on a Monday, surgery on Tuesday and flew home after a follow up on Wednesday.

My wife, and young son, couldn't stand to look at me because of the red eye that lasted a couple of weeks!
No pain, but have Rx drops for another couple of months to discourage the regrowth.

Part of the sunshine that apparently causes these growths was acquired just up the coast from you!  We moved to Newport Beach from Whittier in 1968.  That was after my Dad had to sell his oceanfront lot in San Clemente...
wasn't going to be able to afford building his dream view house there.  All of $100,000.00 back then!

Hope things are going well for you.

Bruce

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat