+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1-week Post-Op  (Read 2151 times)

AdRoc

1-week Post-Op
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:22:40 AM »
One week post-op with Dr. Pritchett, and all is progressing nicely.

I've transitioned mainly to crutches and am successfully negotiating stairs and taking short walks outside, weather permitting (it is Seattle).  Exercises are going well, and I can see an end to the pain meds soon (I'm not trying to be a tough guy about pain, and just want to stay ahead of it). I don't need to rush back to any activity, so slow and steady is a big part of my mantra for recovery.

Still sore and stiff, but that will be the case for a while.  Had a bit of a problem with swelling over the weekend. Led to a rough night, but getting in the compression socks, targeted ice and keeping the leg more elevated got that under control.  I really didn't want or have to go to the hospital, so I'm happy that worked.

Don't know about any of you, but I am having muscle spasms every now and then.  Can be a bit painful with the incision and new joint, but I'm hoping that is par for the course.  They are nothing that leaves me in writhing pain, but they definitely make me take notice.

All in all, I'm fairly happy with my progress, and am really looking forward to my first post-op visit with Dr. Pritchett next Monday.

Keep watching this space for more... Here's to continued good recovery! :)

AdRoc
LBHR with Dr. Pritchett on 9 October 2012

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
Re: 1-week Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
Great News, AdRoc.  Sounds like a typical first week, which is a good thing.

I've read many other stories of spasms, so you're not alone there.  And the swelling can happen on-and-off for a few more weeks, depending on how much you walk/exercise/stay on your feet.  Rest and ice is the trick, as you've figured out.

Keep it up!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
AdRoc;

My doc prescribed muscle relaxers (zanaflex) that were very helpful with the spasms, and helped greatly decrease the need for pain meds with my 2nd BHR this past February.  Far fewer side effects, much less pain from the spasms and of course, much less spasticity.

Hope it helps

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Anna

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
Another happy hippy. Thats great news AdRoc  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »
I had a few spasms here and there, but there weren't bad.  Maybe upping your electrolytes would help? 

Slow and Steady is an excellent mantra for this, from here on til at least a year, for me, even more than that as I get back to things like soccer.   Its easy to overdo it, especially when you have a noticeable leap in the recovery process, you'll feel like Superman one day and you might overdo it. 

Good job, say high to Susan and Roman at the appointment.  You might ask for a CD of your images.  It's always nice to have that stuff on hand down the road.  You might also get some questions written down ahead of time. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

patrick_d

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »
Glad things are going so well AdRoc.  I am about 5 weeks behind you and it sure is encouraging to hear these success stories.

Slow and steady certainly seems to be the formula that everyone online here repeats.  Keep us posted on progress.

Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »
Great to hear you are progressing nicely. Don't get carried away and try to over do things though.
Do as instructed and all will heal nicely.

Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Spanielsal

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:06 AM »
Slow steady and sure healing, pushing things will give you problems. In 6 weeks time you'll feel like a different person. Everyday is an improvement tho. Enjoy the ride!
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  Take it easy and don't push too soon.

I moved your posts to Hip Stories. 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat