+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Happy hippy study  (Read 3335 times)

John C

Happy hippy study
« on: October 19, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
Another positive study, this one focusing on patient quality of life. After all, that's what it is all about.

http://www.clinorthop.org/journal/11999/0/0/2645_10.1007_s11999-012-2645-4/2012/Patients_Report_Improvement_in_Quality_of_Life_and.html
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

Re: Happy hippy study
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »
Exactly what I've been thinking (in my non-study way), thanks John...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Happy hippy study
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »
Normally I don't post abstracts in full, but this is a short positive one. If I am asked to remove it, I will.  Meanwhile, read some positive words about hip resurfacing.
Patients Report Improvement in Quality of Life and Satisfaction After Hip Resurfacing Arthroplasty

Wael A. Rahman MD, Nelson V. Greidanus MD, MPH, Alexander Siegmeth MD, Bassam A. Masri MD, Clive P. Duncan MD, MSc, Donald S. Garbuz MD, MHSc
Symposium: Papers Presented at the Annual Meetings of The Hip Society

Online First ™ - October , 2012

http://www.clinorthop.org/journal/11999/0/0/2645_10.1007_s11999-012-2645-4/2012/Patients_Report_Improvement_in_Quality_of_Life_and.htmlAbstract

Background
A number of reconstructive procedures are available for the management of hip osteoarthritis. Hip resurfacing arthroplasty is now an accepted procedure, with implant survivorship comparable to THA at up to 10 years  follow-up in certain series. Most reports focus on implant survivorship, surgeon-derived results, or complications. Fewer data pertain to patient-reported results, including validated measures of quality of life (QoL) and satisfaction and baseline measures from which to determine magnitude of improvement. Validated patient-reported results are essential to guide patients and surgeons in the current era of informed and shared decision making.

Questions/purposes
We determined whether patients reported improvement in disease-specific, joint-specific, and generic QoL after hip resurfacing arthroplasty; whether patients were satisfied with the results of the procedure; and latest activity level and return to sport.

Methods

We retrospectively reviewed 127 patients (100 men, 27 women) who underwent 143 hip resurfacing procedures between 2002 and 2006. Mean patient age was 52 years. Patients completed the WOMAC, Oxford Hip Score, and SF-12 at baseline and again at minimum 2-year followup (mean, 2.5 years; range, 2–6 years). At latest follow-up, patients completed a validated satisfaction questionnaire and UCLA activity score.

Results
All QoL scores improved (normalized to a 0–100 scale, where 100 = best health state). WOMAC improved from 46 to 95, Oxford Hip Score from 42 to 95, SF-12 (physical) from 34 to 54, and SF-12 (mental) from 46 to 56. Patient satisfaction score was 96. UCLA activity score was 8.

Conclusions
The majority of patients reported improvement in QoL, were very satisfied with their outcome, and returned to a high level of activity after hip resurfacing arthroplasty.

Level of Evidence
Level IV, therapeutic study. See the Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat