+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 weeks post op. Went to the gym today!  (Read 2033 times)

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
6 weeks post op. Went to the gym today!
« on: October 22, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
First visit to the gym. Not physical therapy, the actual gym! So fun. I was very discipline and went very very light with only machines that are seated. After that I rode the bike (pt

approved exercise) for 20 minutes. Felt really good. I'm getting to the point where I don't realize I had surgery at some points during my day. I hope everyone in the same time

frame as me is doing better than me or the same, if not hang in there and keep working.
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

hernanu

Re: 6 weeks post op. Went to the gym today!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
That's great hoyt! I felt great the first time back.

Did they give you any limits on the amount to lift?  I'd be careful with the adductor and abductor machines, those seemed to put the most stress on me at that time, so I backed off them until later.

Just take care and be patient; you're still early on in the recovery cycle, keep it really light.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hoyt66

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:59:58 PM »
That's great hoyt! I felt great the first time back.

Did they give you any limits on the amount to lift?  I'd be careful with the adductor and abductor machines, those seemed to put the most stress on me at that time, so I backed off them until later.

Just take care and be patient; you're still early on in the recovery cycle, keep it really light.

True Hern. I am very early. I didn't do any leg work other than the bike. I have PT tomorrow and my last PT Thursday. I didn't get any limits on lifting but again I went really light. Almost like a "warming up" workout the whole way thru.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
Sure felt that way early on, but just felt so good to be back! You'll be back full throttle soon enough (Check Pistol Pete's latest).

Very cool though  8) 8) 8)
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lycraman

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:51:55 AM »
Hi Hoyt.

We are on exactly the same schedule and I'm so pleased for you that you're back in the gym.  It is very liberating isn't it?!  i got to the gym for the first time on Sunday but resisted the weights room and went into the pool.  Just being in the building felt strange! I managed 40 lengths of the 25m pool and really enjoyed it, with no painful sequelae, just an aching back-side.  What I did notice was my range of motion in my hip had improved.  I went again yesterday and did 60 lengths (I'm not the world's best swimmer so they are very slow lengths). The only problem I've had is that my old tendonitis in my elbow has reappeared. It's obviously nothing to do with my hip surgery but I'd hoped that the enforced lay off would have sorted that out. I can't wait to get back to the real gym and the classes I used to enjoy but that will have to wait quite a bit longer.  What would be nice would be being able to cycle to the gym like I used to do, but for now. I'll make do with the joy of being mobile in the car.
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:12:21 AM »
Hoyt and Lycra, you guys are doing great.  Keep up the great work.  My one year anniversary is coming up my hips are completely recovered.  It's great!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

phillwad

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:16:29 AM »
^ weeks for both of you - great job - slow easy exercise in the gym feels good :-)  keep it up

hoyt66

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »
So here's a little update. The day after I went to the gym I went to PT and then Wednesday I was  so sore from 2 days of " exercise" in a row. I did pt Thursday (my last one) and never went to the gym the rest of the week. I did fall

prep chores outside most of the day yesterday and today very sore. I'll try the gym tomorrow and hopefully put in three days this coming week. :-\

IslandCatt

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
I have a gym in my garage and I've been "working out" (not sure if you can to call the slow, easy, very little resistance stuff I've been doing working out) for a few weeks now. I've also been doing some light swing dancing a few times over the last couple of weeks.

I notice that I'm usually a bit stiffer in the mornings after I have pushed a little bit, but, by the afternoon, everything is feeling better than the day before. I usually try to follow a "hard" day by an easier day and find that I'm ready to push a little bit more on my next "hard" day.
Anterior LBHR, Dr. Sanders, 9/12/12

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »
Glad you are doing so well.  Good Luck with your gym work.

I moved your story to the Hip Story section. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz