+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Physical Therapist: Recommendations  (Read 4610 times)

Clarkefan

Physical Therapist: Recommendations
« on: April 22, 2008, 02:22:56 PM »
Hopefully I'll be cleared for outpatient PT by the end of next week and have begun the frustrating search for an outstanding physical therapist to get me back to fighting form. I see there is a great clearinghouse of information on doctors and many personal recommendations, but wondered if there were something similar we could do for physical therapists?

Ideally, I'd like to find someone or some office in the DC/Maryland suburbs. A recent web search and some phone calls have been marginally helpful, but some personal success stories and recommendations would certainly be welcome.

Thanks!

RBHR 3/27

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:25:41 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Physical Therapist: Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:35:05 PM »
Hi

I am sorry but I don't have a list of good PTs.  PT is an interesting topic because some people don't do any PT and recover quite well. 

I mostly just did a lot of walking  - which my doctor recommended.  At 6 weeks post op I decided to do water walking and pool therapy since I was so stiff.  It was not anything that was recommended, I just knew it would help me.

Other people take PT very seriously and have done a lot.  They only thing you have to watch is that you don't do anything too agressive.  Dr. De Smet, my doctor, says never to use anyone that does PT for athletes.  You don't want to do anything that hurts or pushes you too much.  You are the best judge of what is feeling right for you.

What does your surgeon recommend?

Wish I could tell you more, but I can't.  I do know whether people do PT or don't - they all end up in the same place eventually - active, happy and without pain.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tarhoo2

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
I don't know if Arlington works for you, but I have been very happy with my experience with my BHR follow-up therapy at Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic (visit www.andersonclinic.com).  Their practice includes hip, knee and shoulder replacements and they are very familiar with the requirements for all those procedures, including BHR.  I had my first BHR (with Dr. Andy Engh of Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic) on 12/18/07 and worked with them following my release from home PT about 4 weeks later.  I have since had BHR on my other hip (4/4/08) and will start back with their therapists, following release from home PT and my 4-week follow-up with Dr. Andy, again on 5/9/08.  Would be happy to discuss my experience.  Good luck!

Jim

john

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
Not about PT but I'm going in for my second BHR two weeks from now and just wondered if your second was as smooth as your first or easier? So far I feel far less nervous about it, probably because I know the pain wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just looking forward to no more arthritis pain.
Thanks,
John

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 12:04:12 PM »
Second one went as smoothly as the first.  I think it helped that I knew what to expect and how to handle it.  Also, I had a high degree of confidence in my surgeon and the team that would be working on me.  It probably didn't hurt either that I was already familiar with the surroundings -- pre-op holding area, OR, etc. -- and the pre-op process.  Some of the staff people that attended to me were even the same.  Sounds strange to say, but I was actually looking forward to the second surgery -- whereas I was pretty anxious about the first one -- because I knew what to expect and I had confidence that would feel relief from the arthritis pain as soon as it was over.  Good luck with your second!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat