+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip squeeking  (Read 3484 times)

johnd_emd

Hip squeeking
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
Okay, I know Halloween is around the corner, but I'm a little concerned that my hip might be trying to participate.   :o  This weekend while out duck hunting I went to retrieve a bird.  While wading out into the water I kept hearing a loud squeaking noise and wasn't sure what the heck it was; I wear ear plugs while hunting.  Finally I realized it was my hip.  It did it the rest of the day, and when I got home.  Now, I'm not talking about a little squeak, my buddy could hear it 10 feet away, and my wife heard it when I stepped up from the living room to the kitchen.  It finally went away, but did it again yesterday while I was hunting and it did it all day.  Now, I associate noise with friction and in my mind friction is not good in the hip device.  Anyone else have anything similar?  Or, ask their doctor about it if it happened to them? 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Mike D

Re: Hip squeeking
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 02:16:26 PM »
John,
Not had this personally, I don't think its an issue with THR's, but I've read quite a lot of stories here about squeaking.
Not too long ago, can't remember who it was (hern?) said that it went away if they drank water and it seemed to be a result of being a little dehydrated.
I think its fairly common thing that happens occasionaly for quite a few hippys, with no harm done as I've read about people mentioning it to their doc's who arn't worried by it.
Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
Hey john, several folks have had this, and it seems to be related to dehydration.

My untutored take on this is that the synovial fluid is sometimes affected and we get squeaking; this is totally unfounded on anything but my own thinking on it.

The way I've heard it, take further steps to see the doc if it persists for weeks, but a temporary thing is not unusual.

Or it could be a misplaced duck call that sounds like a rubber ducky  ::)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:39:18 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
Ive not experienced this myself but asked Mr Treacy about this and he said its fairly common and is due to the lubrication regime changing ie plenty of synovial fluid to less synovial fluid. I stay very very well hydrated at all times as i figure that will help me keep my joint lubed up ;)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

johnd_emd

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
I figured it might be related to hydration, so on yesterdays hunt I took extra water with me and it still did it.  I haven't been riding much lately so I wonder if my bodies just producing less synovial fluid.  I guess not much to do about it but keep an eye on it and keep my hydration levels up to see if that's it.

Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
I haven't experienced this yet and I'll embarassingly admit that my water intake is terrible. Maybe a glass a day if i'm trying!
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

johnd_emd

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
Ruby, I've been much more aware since this happened about my water intake.  I'm trying to drink more daily.  Hunted this past weekend, drank all the way there, and my hip didn't squeek at all while hunting.  Drank all the way home.  Hip squeek so loud when I got home and took a step up in the livingroom, my wife (who was on the phone) set the phone down and looked at me and said, "Was that you????"  I quickly replied, "Yes"  She had me do it again and it was just as loud.  And, she was 30 ft away.   :-\

Just keep drinking I guess
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

obxpelican

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 09:39:37 PM »
I get it especially when dehydrated, I was out golfing with my daughter in August and I was just starting to swing and it squeaked, my daughter looked at me like "dad you farted" and I spent the next 20 minutes explaining that I had not kept hydrated and sometimes I squeak.

It's not real often but it does happen.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
I have not had squeaking.  Have you called Dr R?  I am sure it will work itself out.
Why are you not riding?  You must be at a year now?
All is well with me.  I am doing my Yoga and enjoying the hip.  Still babying the non-operated hip, hoping to get another year.  FX.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
John;

I had it for a couple weeks around 6 months after my first BHR.  It occurred after twice moving a huge woodpile, actvitity that involved alot of bending at the waist, and sweating and likely dehydration.  It was loud, and for my money, hilarious.  First time I was alone, second occurence I got to share the laughs with my wife.  Unfortunately did not occur while performing my "husbandly duties" so I could not blame it on bedsprings or broken floor board  8).

It went away after hydration, but took a while each time (a few hours).  Sounded like the noise when you run your finger around the rim of a half-full crystal goblet, more so that a floorboard squeak).

I have been very good about staying hydrated since; the second BHR has never made any noise.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:41:45 PM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

johnd_emd

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
Dan, well, glad it hasn't happened to your during your "husbandly duties".  Oh, that would be way too funny.  I hunted yesterday and my hip squeeked like a pig in mud.  The guy I was hunting with couldn't believe it.  He kept asking me, "Was that you?"  when my hip would squeek.  I drink a ton of water before I go out each time, but for some reason it squeeks everytime I'm out wading in the muck and tules.  Oh well, doesn't squeek when I ride the bike or at any other time. 
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

patrick_d

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 08:27:34 AM »
Husbandly duties humor aside (and it was very funny)....the mechanical engineer side of me does not like it when any bearing squeaks, especially one that might be implanted in my body!  It generally indicates improper wear, even if only for a short time.

John it seems that hunting is the primary cause of your hip squeaking.  Do you move into some sort of unique position while hunting?  I wonder if you can reproduce that same position when not hunting and then show it to your surgeon.   He might suggest a different way to move or stand that would not load your new hip joint in the manner that cause the squeaking.  Or he might tell you that is okay.

Just a thought.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

obxpelican

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 05:33:44 PM »
I've squeaked off and on for over 4 years, when I had my metal ion test done recently my numbers came in lower than the general population, of course I do not take any vitamins that have any minerals.

It's common, nothing to worry about unless it's happening all the time.

IMHO

Chuck

Husbandly duties humor aside (and it was very funny)....the mechanical engineer side of me does not like it when any bearing squeaks, especially one that might be implanted in my body!  It generally indicates improper wear, even if only for a short time.

John it seems that hunting is the primary cause of your hip squeaking.  Do you move into some sort of unique position while hunting?  I wonder if you can reproduce that same position when not hunting and then show it to your surgeon.   He might suggest a different way to move or stand that would not load your new hip joint in the manner that cause the squeaking.  Or he might tell you that is okay.

Just a thought.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat