+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Considering the options  (Read 2088 times)

KristinL

Considering the options
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:11:42 PM »
Hi everyone!  This is the first website where I don't feel totally depressed by the thought of fixing my hip.  I'm young for the operation (40) weak smile.  I've had osteoarthritis in rt hip significantly for 3 years now.  I also have funny cysts that shift a bit causing that "stuck a steak knife into my hip" if I move wrong pain like no other. 

I've shortened my stride, put off walking when its bad.  Slowly dole out the painkillers to function.  I guess I've answered my own question....is it the time? 

I hate the idea of being dependent for weeks at a time.  I hate the idea of leaving work for that period.  I just don't know if its the answer.  Yes, i've been told that I have the hip of a 80 year old.  Just lucky I guess.  I don't like the pain killers, I am embrassed by using my cane (even though I have a cool purple one). 

I want to walk comfortably again.  I want to go shopping with my adopted daughter for an afternoon.  I want to wear heels instead of sneakers again.  I want to feel whole or like myself or something like that.

Well what's the general opinion am I asking too much?  Should I wait it out?  get with the surgeon? 

Thanks for listening.  This community is pretty nice from what I've read so far.

CITY2SOUTH

Re: Considering the options
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 12:57:37 AM »
Hey Kristin,

Grab an ore, we are in the same boat. I will be 38 next week and am going for my first consultation for hip resurfacing. My son is 3 and I don't want to miss out on playing with him any longer. There is so much information on this site so sit back and read, read, read. Get asmuch information as possible. Good Luck in wahtever you decide. Email me anytime city2south@aol.com

Lisa

P.S. I want to go shopping all afternoon too..lol
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

rlm869

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »
hi ladies-

i am 38 years young and just recently had my right hip resurface...you can read my 8 day post-op writing here
http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=386.0

i am now at a little over 4 weeks and doing great! if i can answer any other questions, please feel free to email me.

don't put it off or you may not be eligible for resurfacing and have to get thr. there have been a lot of advances in thr, but at our age with possible revisions in the future, you do not want to risk that bone loss.
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »
Hi Kristin

The one think you do have to watch is you don't wait too long.  If your hip deteriorates too much and the cysts get too big - you won't be a candidate for hip resurfacing.

Sounds like it is time to get some good input from some experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.  They won't do hip surgery if your hip does not require it.

Take a look at my list and get some good input about the condition of your hip

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

No one wants to put their life on hold because of pain.  You are young and should be able to live your life and do what you want without pain. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »
Kristin,

I'm with Pat and the others: don't put your life on hold.  There's no reason that you should have to endure an unreasonable amount of pain.  Whether a BHR will work for you or you need a THR, it sounds like you shoud pursue your options.  I am 3 weeks post-op on my second BHR in 4 months and, even though it hasn't been easy, I haven't had a second thought about having had them done.  I'd be happy to share my experiences with you.  BTW, I'm 48 and, until the last couple of years led a very active lifestyle.  I now look forward to resuming my active lifestyle and plan on getting back to playing golf and participating in other activities by the end of thus summer.  Good luck and best wishes!

Jim

rlm869

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 10:11:53 PM »
i made a mistake above...i am actually at 5 weeks! i wanted to add that i already have an increased range of motion as compared to before the surgery and i have NO PAIN. no hip joint pain and no surgery pain. i have some discomfort around the incision, but that is it!
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

john

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:29:53 PM »
I'm 59
4 months post BHR on right hip
going in for left hip next week
can't wait
right feels great
no more pain