+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ohio  (Read 1689 times)

hotmamahippy

Ohio
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:15:51 PM »
Greetings from Ohio;]  I'm 28 years old, looking for hip resurfacing info anyone know of good doc?

Also, how long until you can have sex again?  Sorry...

HM

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Ohio
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
Hi and Welcome.  I am in Marietta, OH

I know Dr. Kusuma from the Grant Medical Center and he is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon.  Not quite as experienced by the numbers as Dr. Brooks at the Cleveland Clinic, but close to you.  He worked with Mr. Treacy in the UK for two years and did quite a few hip resurfacings then.  Now he has done over 100 since being at Grant.  My friend has surgery at Grant and it is an excellent hospital. 

So those are the 2 Ohio surgeons that are very pro hip resurfacing.  Assuming you are a female, you will have to go to the top surgeons to get a resurfacing.  You are very young to have hip problems and I hope you can find a good solution.

There are many other top surgeons a few states away, you can see my list here:

http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

Most people have to travel to get their hip resurfacing.  If you are a woman and small sized, you will have a more diffiuclt finding a surgeon to do the resurfacing.  If you are larger like I am, you will find it easier since large women and men have the same great outcomes and retention rates.  Smaller man and women have a larger revision rate.  So you need to top surgeons to make sure you don't become a statistic.

The folks here are great and will answer you questions and give you support.

Good Luck.

oops - forgot about the sex.  Most surgeons let you be active when you feel you are able.  Your body will let you know when you can break loose and swing from the chandilier and have fun again.  Always listen to your body after any surgery and normally, it is good to ask the surgeon when you can do most activities!  ;D

Pat
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:25:58 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
Well Pat beat me too it, but that's good, because I could only think of Brooks.  Pat's list of surgeons is a great place to start too, just a good idea to get some general numbers and thoughts on the main surgeons.

The ineterviews are also a great place to start.  Brooks is in there.

Dannyway is 28 or 29 now, maybe and he might offer some advice, he's in the UK, but maybe being that young you have a slightly different perspective on all of this.  Being 43, I'm ok with slowing down a little, I think back to being 28 and man I think I would be way more pissed about having OA. 

Sex - I think 2 to 3 weeks is generally the accepted comfort timeframe.  The hip and the thigh are pretty tendor up to that point.  Other than that, if you're not planning to do gymnastics than you don't need to wait the 6 weeks til the posterier restrictions are up.  There's a seperate forum for this topic also that might give you more detail.

Good luck
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

lycraman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
Hotmamahippy

Good luck in Ohio with your doctor choice - it is the most important choice you'll make, even more so at your age.

As for sex - there is a section on sex on the site that you should read.......

As long as you are not too adventurous, you can get away with it after couple of weeks but better leave the nurses alone whilst at the hospital, immediately post op!
Even taking the conservative options, I found that it used muscles that I hadn't exercised and caused aches and pains, and I had an enforced abstinence of nearly six weeks. Let us know how you get on!
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
Dr Peter Brooks, far and away the best HR surgeon in Ohio in terms of #'s done (just under 1500 reportedly), and positive outcomes.  He trained with the Birmingham UK surgeons who developed the procedure.  I have had both done by him, and many here have had him as well.  He operates out of Cleveland Clinic Euclid, just east of Cleveland.

Sex can resume if/when you feel up to it, there are various threads here about that.  From the male side of the equation, the considerations there are different than female, so your results may vary. 

Dan

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

phillwad

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »
I had both my hips done at Cleveland Clinic with Dr Brooks - would highly recommend him and glad to share the experience if you want more information.  having a great recovery.  Phill

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear