+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bicycle Crash  (Read 9076 times)

Alaskan

Bicycle Crash
« on: November 08, 2012, 04:07:35 PM »
I had left hip resurfacing 2 years ago with De Smet.  (I also had a BHR on my right hip by De Smet some 10 years ago.)  All has been wonderful.  However,  4 days ago while biking, I hit a patch of ice and landed directly on my left hip.  Today, the bruising and the pain from the bruising has subsided but I am still limping and have some new pain in my groin area of my left hip.  How worried should I be?  How long do I wait before going to a doctor?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Bicycle Crash
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »
I fell very hard on my resurfaced BHR hip by De Smet 2 years ago.  Once off my bike when it got stuck between the grass and bricks.  OUCH   I fell right on the hip.  It was sore and I was really worried, but ended up OK.   Then later in the year, I missed a little 2 inch step in an old house and fell right on it again.  Somehow - it held up both times.  You immediately get that vision of what a revision would be like.  Fortunately, for me and hopefully you, it was not required.

I would guess, not being a doctor though, that you have really bruised yourself.  If you actually broke something or fractured anything - it would hurt hurt hurt like you know what.  I would give it a couple days more and see how things work out.  I fell on my knee last year really hard and it took forever for it to heal and not be sore.

If you are worried, you can always get an x-ray.  Many of us have found the BHR is much stronger than our bones, muscles and ligaments.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
I'll add to that by mentioning some stories I've seen here.  I believe both John C and Wayne-O talked about some pretty hard falls they've had while skiing/snowboarding.  They didn't have any long lasting problems.  I agree with Pat that you can do a lot to the hip and you'll probably be just fine.  X-ray would certainly be the tell tale, but it probably doesn't hurt waiting a little bit to see how things go.  Ice it and take it easy and it'll probably be fine.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Alaskan

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
Update:  Today is two weeks since my bike crash.  My hip is much better-99% pain free!  It is a huge relief to know that it held up to the big impact I had.  Thanks for the encouraging words Pat.

Anna

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »
Thats great news. It must give you alot more confidence in your hip too knowing that it can survive such an impact. I wish you and your hip many more fun cycling adventures for years to come  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

phillwad

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »
I was out on my mountain bike last week and tried to go across a stream only to slip on some rocks - went down hard but was OK to finish the ride - no lasting effect except I took some skin off the end of my little finger and I let a bunch of other riders get past me

OtterDriver

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »
Hello Alaskan-

Sorry to hear of your mishap, but glad all seems to be okay!

I almost went down the other day just clearing the driveway after the snow plow came by.  Are you in Juneau?

Take care, Bruce

Alaskan

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
Bruce, I live in Anchorage.  After 11 feet of snow last year, :-), we have very little this year so far.  :-(

I am very happy with the Birmingham Hip Replacement that I had done 10 years ago, and even happier with the Conserve Plus that Dr. De Smet did 2 years ago. 

I landed with all my weight directly on the newer hip, and I was very concerned after the pain got worse 4 days after the accident, but it seems that everything is fine!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat