+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Wow almost one year post-op  (Read 1933 times)

Aerial

Wow almost one year post-op
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:33:57 AM »
Long time no post!  Sorry.  I can not believe it has been nearly a year since my resurfacing on December 5, 2011 with Dr. Gross.  I am 100% pleased with the outcome.  I have steadily increased my activity and am back to running 3-5 miles several times a week in addition to yoga, cycling and occasionally my elliptical.  I am still noticing gradual improvement in quad strength and psoas flexibility on my operated side.  My psoas was so tight and my quad was weak from my limp post surgery.  Gradually I have gotten strength and flexibility back.  I am still caught off guard when I attempt something I haven't done for awhile and I feel so much stronger.  For example, my husband and I recently did some hiking in the mountains and hiking up and down various elevations was so much better than this summer.  Overall, the pain I had a year ago to walk a block seems sooooo far away now.  The resurfacing was the best thing I ever did and I hope for many more good years with my hip.  For anyone looking into this surgery, it is totally worth it.  People are amazed when they see me running again  ;D. I see Dr. Gross for a slightly early one year followup on Thursday of this week.  My only slight worry is the ion issue which I understand he does not test for the first year.  Since my cup angle was good I hope this is a non-issue.  Looking forward to rocking the holidays pain free,  not on crutches and in heels this year!  Also, my new found love for pain free ambulation now being shared with two pups.  The first dogs I have had in my 47 years.  They love walking and I love walking with them. A year ago that would have not been the case!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:04:00 AM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Kiwi

Re: Wow almost one year post-op
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:01:12 AM »
Awesome Aerial - congrats on your one year (nearly) anniversary!!
Mine is in a couple of weeks too. Amazing how quickly it's rolled around isn't it? The hard work continues, but it so pleasing when you get the results.
Great to hear from you.
Cheers
Kiwi
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

Anna

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
Aerial, that sounds amazing. Congratulations.

I wish you and your hips many more happy years together

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
Aerial, that is so good. There's no real way to describe the freedom from pain and constricting limits.

I get your slight worry about ion levels, I had the same before I had testing done at two years. I knew that the chances were slight of any issues, but still... it was a thought every now and then.

All of the indications, the positioning, how I felt, the device, the doctor were in my favor, but I thought that I didn't want this great feeling of freedom to go away. I was pretty confident when the tests were done, but still a bit nervous. They came in well within safe limits, so a sigh of relief.

I guess my point is that even though the lack of symptoms pointed to no problems, I still wanted the test to confirm for me that I was through this particular last step. I could easily have gone without the test, as there were and still are not symptoms. Maybe it was just the flurry of activity in the press, but I was glad to have it.

I did and should have taken comfort from the lack of symptoms before the test. You have such great stuff happening that if and when you have the ion tests done, it should just put the cherry on top of a great dessert.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 09:25:22 PM »
Nice to hear from you Aerial.  I'm glad you're out having fun and with 2 new puppies, to boot, I mean not to boot, but you know,... holy moly, how can it get any better?

I just had to wrastle my terrior out of the back yard after it chased another racoon in the corner and all with pain free hips.  ::)

Good job and rock the holidays!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

lyn

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:49:02 AM »
Im happy for you, I wish a lifetime of running with a good hip. Lyn

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
Congrate Ariel, and wished for a continued great recovery.

Dogs are incredible and very positive forces in the HR recovery.  I would not know what I would have done without our 2 throughout the difficult days right after surgeries, and the rehab/rebuilding since.  The first thing I did almost 1 year ago today, when I got off crutches after #1, was to walk the dogs.  So helpful on so many levels.

Best regards,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
Awesome another 1 year hippy!  :D
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
Congrats sounds like you are doing great
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Aerial

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »
Thanks so much everyone.  I just can't believe it has been almost it year.  The first "post" year went so quickly.  After the challenges of the first couple weeks post surgery it has been a gradual uphill all year.  I'm not going to haul off and do something like run a marathon again (I know others have) but I do love getting back to running.  I've celebrated with some new running gear from my favorite place...Lululemon!  I agree that I will feel better about the ion level after having an ion test.  Due to a last minute work commitment I had to schedule my one year follow up for December 20th instead of last Thursday.  I will see when I might be able to get that test on 12/20.  Good wishes to everyone else on the board whether pre or post surgery!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear