+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seroma  (Read 3505 times)

jesswhelan

Seroma
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:19:19 PM »
Hello I'm a 28 year old male who underwent BHR on left hip on June 13, 2012.. About a month after surgery I noticed swelling on the medial side of my incision, over the front top part of my hip.. I saw a doc, not my surgeon, who explained to me that this is a seroma.. Has anyone else experienced this? Had it aspirated? Did it help? I am so frustrated since it feels like a weight on the side of my hip when I walk and move my hip..please let me know and thank you..

hernanu

Re: Seroma
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
Hey Jess. I didn't have a seroma, but it seems to be a common occurrence in surgeries that manipulate body tissues.

What happens is that blood vessels are disrupted, then red blood cell leakage can happen (hematomas) or white blood cell leakage (seromas) can happen.

The way they treat it is that if it's small enough, it's allowed to resolve on its own, but can form hard knots some times. If it's larger, they are often aspirated (fluid is removed, usually with a needle). In rare cases, a drain is surgically implanted to drain the seroma.

Until it's aspirated, the only thing to be aware of is any sign of infection (fever, hot to the touch, pus, all of those fine symptoms).

It looks like it can be drained and then done if it's large enough. What did your doctor suggest?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »
Hi Jess,
I didn't have it on my recent THR surgery, but I did in 1976 when I had my hip pinned.
It got quite large and when I went back to the hospital they just drained it off with a large needle as hern says.
I'd probably be a lot more concerned now but at the time as a 14 year old, I was more concerned that it affected the look of my Brutus jeans!
I remember the surgeon at the time saying-' Ah yes, a vesuvius, soon have that gone'
 It never gave me any more trouble once drained though. Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:55:59 AM »
OMG Brutus Jeans. I so remember them and the add.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »
Had the cousin (hematoma) following foot surgery in high school, and (I find this hard to believe now) it was resolved by "popping it" (manually) through the incision, which hurt like hell during, but felt soooo much better after.
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal