+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing vs. Hip replacement  (Read 2187 times)

Roberta

Hip resurfacing vs. Hip replacement
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »
Even though I am a 68 year old, 5'2", 117 pound woman from NYC, I am still considering a hip resurfacing by Mr. McMinn in January. He will not be sure if he can do a resurfacing until he assesses my femoral bone density when I am already on the operating table. This is the case even though my Dexa bone scan is good enough. Therefore, if I choose that option, I might wake up to find that I had a hip replacement instead! In either event, the operation would involve 5 days in the hospital and a total of 3 weeks in the UK as well as considerable expenses.

This is a dilemma for me because I believe that Mr. McMinn is probably the best surgeon in the world to do a hip resurfacing based on his eye-opening success record and I would be privileged to come to the UK and have him do the resurfacing operation.

As for a hip replacement, I could do that much more conveniently in NYC, with a 2-day-in-the-hospital anterior hip replacement, done by an expert surgeon, right near my Manhattan apartment and without cost.

That's why I am asking you for a reality check:

Do  your resurfaced hip or hips get to feel as if you never had any replacement parts, completely as part of your body? If so by when?

Does it hurt when you do any specific activities or sit a long time? What helps if and when it does?

How often do you have to go for metal ion tests?

Do you think resurfacing compares favorably to a hip replacement? Why?

Do you believe that revision is easier for a hip resurfacing than a replacement?
   Do you know anyone who had a revision? If so what was it like?

Do you know any small women who received a hip resurfacing  when were over 60 years old?
   How long ago did they get it? What is their experience?
   What's the longest you know of or have experienced personally.

I have been studying the relevant issues for 7 months and am eager to finally get on with it because I am walking like a penguin wint bone on bone bilateral osteo arthritis, often with a shopping cart as an aid, but without pain.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.  If you are free to talk, send me an email at russellk100@gmail.com and I will be happy to call you in the UK or wherever you are.

Best,

Roberta

hernanu

Re: Hip resurfacing vs. Hip replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »
Hi Roberta, Im glad you've done a lot of research, here's some thoughts, I'm sure others will answer also. I'm at two years now on both hips, ( two and three months on the first).

Even though I am a 68 year old, 5'2", 117 pound woman from NYC, I am still considering a hip resurfacing by Mr. McMinn in January. He will not be sure if he can do a resurfacing until he assesses my femoral bone density when I am already on the operating table. This is the case even though my Dexa bone scan is good enough. Therefore, if I choose that option, I might wake up to find that I had a hip replacement instead! In either event, the operation would involve 5 days in the hospital and a total of 3 weeks in the UK as well as considerable expenses.

I faced this as well, not the expense, but there was a possibility of the implant being a THR. Remote, but my surgeon and I discussed it. I was willing to take the gamble since to me it would let me be active again. I don't think any of this is guaranteed, so a THR is always a consideration.
This is a dilemma for me because I believe that Mr. McMinn is probably the best surgeon in the world to do a hip resurfacing based on his eye-opening success record and I would be privileged to come to the UK and have him do the resurfacing operation.

As for a hip replacement, I could do that much more conveniently in NYC, with a 2-day-in-the-hospital anterior hip replacement, done by an expert surgeon, right near my Manhattan apartment and without cost.

I think that you saw Dr. Su, so if this is a consideration, he is definitely a good option. In my mind, I would take a chance that a resurfacing would work for you, as I believe that to be a better option. Not that a THR is a bad option, but I prefer the HR, and chose that over some lively opposition by experienced surgeons in Boston.

That's why I am asking you for a reality check:

Do  your resurfaced hip or hips get to feel as if you never had any replacement parts, completely as part of your body? If so by when?

I never felt them. I thought this would be an issue, but it never was. I have felt the symptoms of the operation (clunking, weakness, healing pain), but never felt like I have a metal component inside of me. It feels like... nothing, just my body.  That was right away.

Does it hurt when you do any specific activities or sit a long time? What helps if and when it does?

At two years, no, not because of the hip, but if there are any issues it is from incomplete strengthening of the hip. I think exercise and stretching is something I'll gladly take on for the remainder of this pain free ride on my new hips.

How often do you have to go for metal ion tests?

I've only had one, my surgeon now does them routinely at two years. I wanted it, but after getting good results, I don't feel the need to have more. If my surgeon wants more at later dates, I will gladly do them, but I don't need them anymore for my own reassurance.

Do you think resurfacing compares favorably to a hip replacement? Why?

I do. I think the less invasive a procedure is, the better the body can deal with it and support the implanted device. Having said that, given the current state of THRs (both total and mini hip types), to me that is a very good option as well, just not as attractive to me as HR.

Do you believe that revision is easier for a hip resurfacing than a replacement?
   Do you know anyone who had a revision? If so what was it like?

I would think so, since there is more to work with when revising. I am not a medical person, it just seems to make sense to me that it would be better supported. Again, though - the technique and technology for THR revisions I'm sure have progressed and will continue to, so we're not talking about a bad alternative.

Do you know any small women who received a hip resurfacing  when were over 60 years old?
   How long ago did they get it? What is their experience?
   What's the longest you know of or have experienced personally.

I don't know anyone close to me who has had one. My brother in law had a Corin Mini Hip put in a year and a half ago, and has been very happy.

I have been studying the relevant issues for 7 months and am eager to finally get on with it because I am walking like a penguin wint bone on bone bilateral osteo arthritis, often with a shopping cart as an aid, but without pain.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.  If you are free to talk, send me an email at russellk100@gmail.com and I will be happy to call you in the UK or wherever you are.

Best,

Roberta

Given my great results with HR, I would support your going for an HR. Mr. McMinn is a great choice. There are some very good surgeons in NY, but if your selection is McMinn, I would think your health and happiness is worth the expense.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:52:58 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »
If anyone knows McMinn does he tells you how it is. I have been a bad man and got told off by him but would have him do my other hip whenever he tells me I need it. I was warned pre op I might get a THR but I think that is just a back up.
Jas
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
Roberta the only other man I would say was better at surgery with the BHR in the world would be Ronan Treacy. I was told by 3 hip surgeons that in terms of surgical technique he was the man they would go to.

However McMinn was the main designer of the BHR and has an unbelievable record with the device so do not worry!!!
Also I believe that some of the THR devices like the BMHR are legal in the uk while not in the us. So even if you got a THR it would most likely be better than a THR in the us
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:56:01 PM »
Hi Roberta, you certainly have been doing your homework.  I can just answer that I'm at one year and I never feel anything on my right side and I still feel a very small swelling on the left after long (4 hour or more) bicycle rides.  My right has always been ahead of my left.   I never feel any pain and I haven't for a long time.  I can do anything I was able to do before.  I chose HR because I wanted to return to running.  I do think that a HR will be easier to revise if the time comes since you have more bone.  HR is a more invasive surgery than a THR.  These days they do THR as a minimum invasive surgery.  I think most people will be fine with a THR or mini-hip, it just depends on what you want to do.

Did you talk to Dr Gross's office?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Great questions and great response Hern - I agree. 

Roberta - if you have no cost with domestic surgery (NYC) then why would your insurance not cover a domestic HR?  You good could go to a handful of really experienced surgeons with great track records in the US, even (smaller-framed women), maybe you'd have to travel a bit if Su is booked up or your insurance doesn't work.  Like Woody said, you've got Gross in S Carolina.  Brooks in Clevelend, Mont in MD? probabaly a few more in the NE states, then you've a handful of others around the US.  If your insurance covers HR (in or even out of network) it may be less cost to you to have it done in the US.  That's to not to say that if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't want McMinn or Treacy to work on me, heck, I'd be honored   ::), true hippy talking here. 

BTW - I hardly notice that I have 2 prosthetic hips.  I only notice it with limited ROM, but that's because I don't work on flexibility much anymore, I should.  Also I still clunk here and there with certain movements.  No pain, no discomfort. 

Good luck with the decision.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:47 PM »
I'm a 47 year old petite woman and Dr. Schmitt in MI did my surgery. He has done over 1000 BHRs and specializes in women. I feel great, especially after the 6 mo point. Just like new. Lol, I only shopped where they had shopping carts before my surgery. Last time this year I braved going in public using my cane. This year I'm good to go. Good luck to you.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Spanielsal

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 05:01:10 AM »
Just being brief because I think your questions have been answered by others above. I have both HR and ThR and am extremely happy with both my hips. My scar is smaller on the thr side and because the bone was cut there have been less muscle contortions during surgery and thus a slightly quicker recovery. My HR is nine years old and continues to perform well and feels totally natural. My thr is starting to feel natural too. Your body adjusts.  If I can help in any way then pm me, I'd be very happy to discuss things with you.
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:09:26 AM »
On the subject of metal ions I asked Mr Treacy about this and he said that unless you have a metal allergy(very very rare) then there's no need for ion tests as a properly placed device will not produce the wear required to create ions at levels that can harm.
Once again it's down to surgeon skill. You will not go wrong with McMinn! As I've said prior even if you were not to end up with a BHR, McMinn does the BMHR which is also an excellent option! And is available as a ceramic. He also uses thr's not licenced by your FDA I believe he's a WORLD CLASS surgeon and an innovator in the field of hip surgery!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz