+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 days in...  (Read 2782 times)

Jezza25

10 days in...
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:15:24 AM »
Hi fellow Hippies just a quick note to introduce myself to the community and say thanks for the inspiration,advice and hope provided by this site and the forum. I had left BHR last Tuesday from Mr McMinn and can't believe the difference in my hip already. The story in brief is that I suffered a traumatic dislocation and acetabular fracture last august whilst playing cricket. Cue 3 operations and 3 weeks in hospital followed by 9 months on crutches. Turns out it didn't work and I'd managed since to wear off all the remaining cartilage which would explain the pain. NHS chap offered stiff upper lip and THR which didn't appeal. Intensive research including finding this site and 4 months after the "this hip is going in the bin" diagnosis I'm now recovering at home able to walk properly, squat in a straight line and an already improved rom. Keep up the good work I will share how this recovery goes.

Best regards

Jezza
L BHR

McMinn 13/11/12

patrick_d

Re: 10 days in...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »
Congrats!  Welcome to the other side!
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
Hi Jezza

Congratulations on the new hip!  McMinn certainly isone of the best in the world.  You made a great decision and should be up and running this summer.  You will be very active much before then, just take it easy and be patient even if you feel like you could run all day.

Glad you are here.  We look forward to reading about your progress.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
Congrats Jezza, great to hear you've taken control of your hip life.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:58:22 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Jezza25

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:30:27 AM »
Thanks Guys

I'll pop an update on in a week or so, now for a bit more walking round the house as Somerset is gradually inundated and Cheddar starts to float free...

Much appreciated

Jezza
L BHR

McMinn 13/11/12

Bryan712

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:06:40 AM »
Congrats I'm a few days behind you RBHR 11-19-12

Jezza25

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
Hi Folks

I promised to post an update and just got around to it. We're now 6 weeks in and all is going very well. I'm off the crutches, left one in a shop recently and wandered out only going back to fetch it when my daughter inquired as to what I'd done with it. I can run quickly up stairs and have been back to the gym today for the first time. 10k on a spin bike, low resistance of course, good leg presses and curls and a full upper body session with no pain, aches or even really being aware of it. Walking is good and I'm up to 2 miles and feel like I could go on but am slowly extending my distance. The pool is back in my life and I'm trying to wean myself of the pull buoy as I can now kick with both legs but it is still very tempting, again gradual replacement is called for.

The only odd effect is the occasional sensation of slippage as if the head of the femur is rotating in the socket which was something that was there before and will I'm confident go away as the muscles deep in the joint remember what they are there for!

My mission is to get as fit and strong as possible, so that when I start running around August 2013 I'm in great shape. I plan to be cycling on the road from Feb/March and aim for an Iron Man in Austria in 2014 as I was planning on one in 2012 but the small matter of snapping a limb off has put in a 2 year delay ;D

I'd love to hear how the rest of you are doing especially if you're on the same timeline as me, cracking site.

Best regards and Festive wishes.

Jezza
L BHR

McMinn 13/11/12

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
Excellent results and pace, Jezza - keep up the good work.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

phillwad

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »
Jezza - thanks for the note and update - take your time and aim high.  Interested on how you got hurt playing cricket - twist hard for a catch?

Jezza25

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »
Hi Phil

The injury did involve a catch and a collision. I bowled a ball, batter hit it pretty much straight up and I carried on with my follow thru to catch it. Following best practice I kept my eyes on it all the way down the wicket and therefore failed to notice the wicket keeper standing underneath the ball until my eyes dropped back to watch the ball into my hands. I stopped in an instant, studded/spiked boot helping as did the keeper's lower limbs and basically pogoed on my femur which wrecked its way out of the socket. According to the doc the injury suffered was akin to a bad 80mph car crash, fall from a height onto a straight leg or a base jump that had gone wrong. I have some mathematically minded friends who think I generated circa 500 NM of torque in an instant which is about the output of a decent v8 engine.

Recovery now at 8 weeks going very well. I did a mini tri in the gym yesterday, 1500m swim, 40k on the bike and a 5k row with no ill effects and no aches or pains today either. I can't quite believe that I'm back in one piece!

Cheers

J
L BHR

McMinn 13/11/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM