+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New BHR joins my other 13 year old BHR!  (Read 1967 times)

Jill the hip x2

New BHR joins my other 13 year old BHR!
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:03:29 AM »
Hi all - had my second hip resurfaced on 6th Nov by Mr Mcminn.  Its early days and I am still experiencing some lower back pain on the operated side - especially at night and also on the right side of my knee from time to time. 
Had my first hip resurfaced 13 years ago also by Mr Mcminn.  It has been great and I am hoping that once things have settled down this one will be the same. 
Good to have this site to refer to and to gather support -
many thanks
jill the hip x2
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:31:41 AM by Pat Walter »

Dannywayoflife

Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 06:20:18 AM »
That's great to hear! Good luck for your recovery!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
Good luck and welcome, Jill!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »
Awesome, you picked one of the best and at 13 yrs? wow, that's impressive, you should stick around.  I'm not sure we have any 13 yr HRs on this site.  We love hearing from the folks that have gone before us. 

Sounds like you've gotten past the main recovery part.  Good Job.

BTW - Love the handle (Jill the hip x2). 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

lycraman

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »
Good luck with the new hip, Jill. 13 years with the first one is awesome and a great advertisement for the surgery. 
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

Anna

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
13 years?!! WOW! Go Jill. I wish you a speedy recovery on your new hip  :)
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

Jill the hip x2

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 05:40:44 AM »
Thanks all - yes I have been very lucky. My first hip resurfacing has been a complete success and is still going strong.
After being diagnosed with osteo arthritis at 40 years of age I saw my local surgeon who asked me if I wanted the 'good news or the bad news'.  He then went on to tell me that the good news was I did not have cancer.  The bad news was that I had the hip of an 85 year old woman!! He then went on to tell me that he would not let me have a hip replacement until I was at least 50 and even then I would have to be in excrutiating pain and beg him on my hands and knees before he would do it that young!!  I was devestated - I had only been married about six months at this stage.
Two years later after trying physio, steroid injections, reflexology, homeothopy a regime of excercises -  none of which made any difference - I saw the story about Mark Edwards - who had just had his hip resurfaced - in a National Newspaper.  He was jogging shorty after surgery.  I asked for a referral to Mr Mcminn.  At my first appointment he told me I needed the hip resurfaced and said he would offer me the proceedure immediately.  I struggled on for another two years and then decided to have the operation. The rest is history. 
If I had waited 13 years for my first hip to be replaced I would have doubtless been wheelchair bound by now.   
This time my GP suggested that I have the same surgeon who had refused to operate on me all those years ago to replace my right hip - partly because of all the worries about metal on metal implants. 
I read the research and response by Mr Mcminn and decided to ignore my GPs advice!!  So far I am very glad that I did!! 
Thanks for all your words of encouragement and I am happy to stick around if it helps others to have faith in this amazing proceedure!! 
Jill

happy hippy

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »
Hi Jill, 13 years with first BHR gives me and I'm sure lots of other people especially women an extra boost of  confidence. Before people go ahead with a BHR they should be made aware how much work at the gym etc is needed for a the best recovery.......it's hard work, not that I mind as love the gym, swimming and walking but it's also time !!
rt BHR 11/09/12....lft BHR 29/10//09 Mr Mcminn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:58 AM »
Hi Jill

Thanks for posting.  I hope your recent recovery goes by quickly.  It is great you have one BHR that is 13 years old.  You are fantastic news for hip resurfacing! So many people worry about how long their BHR will last.

I hope you will stay around awhile and keep us updated when you can.

Good Luck and take it easy.  As you well know, you will eventually heal up and be active again without pain.

I hope you don't mind, I change the header to more describe your great story.

Pat
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:32:23 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM