+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: "Ambulance Chaser Ads"  (Read 962 times)

OtterDriver

"Ambulance Chaser Ads"
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »
Hello All -

Either I'm not very observant...or I don't see them because I normally just "log in", but have there always been ads for law firms promoting class action suits against implant manufacturers on the side of the home page?  The page you see as a "Guest" checking resurfacing out!

How was that for a first sentence!?

Bruce

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: "Ambulance Chaser Ads"
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:56:18 AM »
There have always been Google Ads on the website - both the main www.surfacehippy.info section and the Hip Talk Discussion Group.   I have worked on the website since 2005.  For a years I paid all the expenses out of my pocket and I worked full time on the website.  Hundreds and hundreds of hours have been logged in designing, upgrading and adding information.  I felt I should have some financial support for all the costs and work I do, so I placed Google Ads on the website.  I don't have much control over their content.  I try to ban many of the lawyer ads, but there are so many, it is almost impossible.  I have some financial support from medical companies, but their ads come and go.  I also have some support from a few surgeons which I appreciate.

So the ads have always been there for a number of years and I plan to keep them unless I get independently wealthy or just can't do the website any longer.  I hope that doesn't happen for a long time.

Sorry if they bother you. You just don't have to click on them or read them. I try to keep them on the sides away from the main content.   Every time someone clicks on them, I make a few cents.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

OtterDriver

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »
Hello Pat -

I'm not computer savvy at all and was beginning to think it was something in our home computer that tracked what I had been looking at in recent searches!?  Maybe that's partially correct since I now get wood stove ads popping up in various corners of other pages I look at...having recently researched that topic!?

Anyway, thanks for your response.  Your Google ads don't bother me at all.  Just hadn't noticed them before and thought they might be a little alarming to first time visitors to your site.

Thanks again for all you do!

Bruce

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 07:40:48 PM »
If you use Google for searching, it remembers what you have searched in the past and sometimes places ads for those items.  All of the search engines, as far as I know, track what you view. 

I did have the ads turned off for members. Forgot to change it after I changed the layout.  I do like to keep them because there are also good things to view like the Cleveland Clinic ads, Dr. Su ads and many more. I just ignore the negative lawyer ads.

I don't think the ads should frighten new visitors.  The info is all over the internet, TV and the newspapers - so they have been exposed to it all for a long time.

I recently started a new section to put all the positive surgeon articles on one place for people to read

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-still-an-excellent-option/

I also did a summary page for people to read much of the info in one place

http://www.surfacehippy.info/positive-results-hip-resurfacing-2012.php

Always trying to keep the excellent results of hip resurfacing on display for new perspective patients. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
Yesterday at 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:16:11 AM