+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Still have hip pain 8 weeks post-op  (Read 2296 times)

marathonhippo

Still have hip pain 8 weeks post-op
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
Hi all,

I had a BHR on the left hip 8 weeks ago today, and the right hip 13 weeks ago today.  The first thing I feel in the morning when I stand up is a medium-sharp pain in the left hip joint, not real bad, just very annoying, and it continues throughout the day.  I started noticing it several weeks ago when the surgery pain subsided enough so that other pain was noticable.  I can still walk unassisted, but it means I limp all day.  I just kept thinking I have to be patient, and this will go away, but it's the same week after week.   I never had even a hint of pain like this in the right hip.

I have an appointment with the surgeon this week to get it checked out, but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced this type of pain?  Of course I start worrying about a fracture, slipped cup, etc., but I'm thinking the pain would be far worse if that was the case (I hope!).

Thanks for any ideas -

Alan
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Still have hip pain 8 weeks post-op
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »
Hi Alan

If you are still limping - you should not be walking unassisted.  That was the RULE from De Smet in Belgium.  Loose the crutch/es when you don't limp.  If you limp - use a cane or crutch.  That may be while you are having some pain yet.

You can't push your recovery.  Whether it is 8 weeks or 8 days - if you are limping and also having pain - back off.  Use a cane or crutch and take it easy.

Normally if you have a fracture or slipped cup - you have really, really bad pain.  So hopefully, you just need to slow down a little.

Having had both hips done, they need time to heal. 

I certainly would check with my doctor if you are having problems. He/she will give you the best advice.

We can give you support - but not medical advice.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

marathonhippo

Re: Still have hip pain 8 weeks post-op
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
Update:  I just got back from seeing the surgeon, and he said all is well.  I actually felt a little silly going in, because the pain mostly went away in the last couple of days, and I now walk without limping.  They did several xrays, and everything looks good.  The reason for the pain is just a little inflammation in the surrounding tissue.  I just expected the left one to heal just like the right, and it seems to be taking a little longer.  I'm starting to think the hardest part of these surgeries is developing enough patience to allow the recovery to happen at it's own speed.

Thanks for your response and support, Pat.
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat