+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 wks Post Op with Dr. Brooks - WOW  (Read 12037 times)

Manofword

2 wks Post Op with Dr. Brooks - WOW
« on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
Today marks 14 days Post Op with Dr. Brooks. I woke up in the OR as they were finishing the glue and putting on the bandage. As they wheeled me into Recovery, Dr. Brooks came over and handed me my X-Ray and simply said, "Perfect." I love it when a Dr. says that. He was obviously proud of the surgery and placement and knew what I wanted my activity level to be Post Op.

Just had my ultrasound and everything is fine so far, no blood clots. I was in Euclid hospital for 2 nights and went home. Took about 1/8 of the pain meds I was prescribed and haven't had any for 4 days. Have been back in the office for a week and have been walking about 1 mi. 3 times per week. Was on a stationary bike for 30 min on Sat. I am following the 75% weight bearing rule very closely and doing my exercises less than 3 times/day simply due to my activity level. My wife has not had to help me get dressed and I have been able to put my own socks on and tie my shoes since day 6 Post Op. A large part of my quick recovery has to do with being a Triathlete. I was biking, swimming and running up until 1 day before surgery just to keep my muscle tone. It paid off! The PT staff said that they had not seen anyone to date have as much ROM as I did before discharge. I have been sleeping on my side since day 5 and today I get to send those "stupid" inflatable socks back! LOL

I don't want to make a super long post first time, but so far, I could not be happier, except not being able to drive for 6 weeks! That is the worst part of all. (except the side effects of the pain meds - constipation, really bad) I think we're past that though and I am now looking forward to the passing of 4 more weeks so I can have my follow up and get rid of the crutches, get back in the pool and also start driving again!
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

obxpelican

Re: 2 wks Post Op with Dr. Brooks - WOW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:27:14 AM »
Glad to hear of your good recovery, Dr. Brooks is a great surgeon, his results speak for themselves for sure.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

fenceman

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »
How did you get out in 2 days?  Did you ask or did they recommend because you were doing so well? Dr. Brooks is doing my hip next week and I would like to get out before the weekend.  Glad to hear you are doing so well.
Bill 

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »
Tying your shoes after six days post op?  Wow.....  That's pretty unbelievable.  You should have made your forum handle "Wolvering" (X-men reference there....)

Congrats to you!  Keep us posted.

@fenceman:  Your stay in the hospital depends on the surgeon.  If Manofword was out in 2 days, you will also likely be out in 2 days.  For most Dr. Gross patients, you're out in 24 hours.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »
Man;

Congrats on your new shiny BHR, great to hear from another Brooks patient.  I was out after 2 nights each time as well, despite the great care, I was ready to go for sure.  I hated those noisy compression stocking devices-- for me the worst part.

I would really caution you to try and be as patient as humanly possible, I know how hard that can be, but it will really pay off.  You being a triathelete I'm guessing the no running for a year is going to be tough for you, but it is a "marathon" versus a sprint and with care and feeding this hip should last a very long time.  I'm doing incredibly well after 14 months on #1 and approaching 10 months on the second.

Also, don't skip the exercises, they are critically important to do as long as they recommend, even though you are far ahead of many, try to keep them going.

Thanks for sharing and best regards going forward.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Manofword

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone! As to only spending 2 nights in the hospital, it was simply because of my progress. I asked if I could go home on Friday and they said it depended on how well I did in PT and what they thought. Our worship pastor had the exact same surgery and surgeon (I told him about Dr. Brooks) and was there 3 nights. I honestly didn't try hard in PT it was just that I was able to exceed their expectations 2 days post op. I'm still about 6" from getting my knee to my shoulder though and I can almost get my heel to my butt. I'm working on those nice and easy.

Patience in running will be the chore, but I have determined to wait the entire year as Dr. Brooks advises. I will be walking (without crutches) and doing elliptical as soon as allowed.

This site really helped me in my decision and I am glad I found it. I had originally thought my running days were over as I thought a THR was my only option. It pays to do research.

I also had a hernia repaired a couple of years ago and found a surgeon (Dr. Grischkan) in Cleveland whose procedure allows you to be released to do ANYTHING after 3 days post op. Lift any amount of weight etc. I was doing inverted sit-ups 3 days later.
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

Ross

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
What kind of shins Manw.  Sports hernia or inguinal hernia?
Ross

patrick_d

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
Amazingly fast progress....tying your own shoes day 6 is unreal, but glad you could do it.  (Nice signature block btw, Phil. 4:13 is great.)
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Manofword

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Ross: I had an umbilical and an inguinal hernia. Both fixed by same Dr. & same procedure. Never had a problem since. He does a non-tension repair which is why the recovery is only 3 days.

phillwad

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »
Great to hear about your progress - as others have mentioned taking your time is key.  I had both hips done by Dr Brooks and just completed a 11 race cyclocross series here in Cleveland - so you will be able to get back to where you want.

Cheers - Phill

Manofword

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »
Thanks, Phill! Appreciate the affirmation that I will return to better than pre-op performance! Congrats on the cyclocross!

phillwad

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
Yes - this season I have been much fast on/off the bike - saving considerable time.  Running with bike - I am now much faster for the short runs we have to do - sometimes uphill carrying the bike - picture is from last Sunday

patrick_d

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
Awesome picture!  I love the look on the kid in the background watching you.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

Manofword

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 02:30:23 PM »
Awesome, Phill! Cyclocross brought to you by.....BHR! Love it

Dee Dee

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
Why can't you drive for six weeks?

I can drive as soon as I am off narcotics.  One man at the hospital at the same time as me drove himself home to Virginia from South Carolina. 

I guess every doc is different.
  Your ROM is unbelievable. How can you tie without breaking 90 degrees?

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

phillwad

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 06:56:09 AM »
I assumed it was to do with a sudden use of teh brake peddal.  But then when I had the other hip done it was the same - I am not sure why "no driving for 6 weeks"

Manofword

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
As far as tying my shoes, I don't have a 90 degree rule. I was encouraged to work on getting my knee to my should right away. I have not been doing that aggressively, but have been stretching nonetheless. I probably will be able to drive before 6 wks, but that was just Dr's orders across the board for all of his patients. I am 17 days post op today and for the first time, I feel like I don't need the crutches. I am using them anyway. I can already lift my operated leg parallel to the ground and don't need to assist my leg in getting in and out of the car. No more sweat pants and the glue is just about off my incision. Recovery is amazing so far. Thank the Lord!

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 10:19:20 AM »
Good stuff so far. I think you're wise to keep using support until your gait is good - don't want to have to unlearn bad habits.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Manofword

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Well, Hernanu,

At least my pre-op, arthritic, pain limp is gone! The rest of this is a piece of cake comparatively.

hernanu

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 03:18:28 PM »
I aqree. I also had no 90 degree rule (antero-lateral guy here), so was able to do the same kind of exercises as you. Didn't quite progress as quickly, but more power to you for doing so.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat