Author Topic: Need help  (Read 2206 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Need help
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:18:22 PM »
I am 45 years old and am writing this because I have no options.  I am an honest good person that needs help, so please listen to my story as I do not want sympathy, just solutions.
   It stemmed from a motorcycle accident. I hit the bumper of the car in front of me with my right hip, when I was 16.  That's what the doctors thought contributed to the decline of my hip.  I was fine and could do anything I wanted, I wrestled, played football etc, in college.  That was in Pennsylvania. I moved out to Nevada in 1991. That's when I started having hip problems.  Since then I've had several procedures, (hip arthroscopies, injections), on my hip which none worked for the pain.  I limped badly.  I finally decided to get a hip resurfacement, which hopefully would end my pain and suffering, and as a result my limping. I had my hip resurfaced September 11, 2007.  Success! it worked, I was able to whatever i wanted after the surgical pain subsided.  I was again a healthy, happy person.  It continued to be perfect up until about a year and a half.  That's when the problems started again.
   I started having major pain in my right hip, deep inside. Several tests later, they deemed that the plate on top of my femur came loose.   I needed another surgery.  At this time I had been seeing Doctor Russell Nevins.  It was at this time that he advised to get a total hip replacement to fix the problem. I had surgery July 5, 2010. The surgery was deemed a success.  I walked one day after surgery.  The moment I stood up it didn't feel right.  I felt a "popping" sensation.  The physical therapist said she thinks its because my muscles haven't healed yet.  While in the hospital I  also got a heal ulcer from bed rest, which took a few months to heal.
   I started physical therapy as advised, it went well, but I still had major pain.  I finished the physical therapy and it felt OK.  There wasn't any major pain until I went back to work as a casino dealer.  Something was not right, so I went back to the doctor.  He acknowledged something was wrong, I still had pain and swelling in my right buttocks.  So the doctor scheduled an MRI of my back, and  CAT scan of my hip.  I went to get the results.  That's when I saw that there were several heterotopic bones, and a screw that is seated in my minimus gluteus muscle.   The doctor then ignored  me.  I guess pain  and swelling would subside on its own. I started searching for help.   
   First doctor  thought inflammation was my problem, so they prescribed steroids.  No help. Next Dr just called me and told me they couldn't help me, go back to the doctor that did the surgery.   That's when depression set in.  Why won't they help me?  I searched for help outside of  Nevada, and found a Dr. from California.  He examined me, and questioned me why is there a "high offset" femoral component?  I also learned that my right leg is out further from my core than my left, about 2.5 inches further. I am crooked, no wonder my back hurts!
   They also tested my blood for metal ions, negative.  They did a bone scan, which may or may not show loosening.  I went to another doctor who just wrote me off.  There has been talk about scoping my hip, to understand the problem, but time is wasting, with no results.  Why won't these doctors help me?
   I currently am stuck, what is so bad about my surgical hip, that doctors won't help me?  I've tried pain management, but very little help in the front, and did nothing for the pain in my buttocks.  I sit crooked for my buttocks is severely swelled up, I limp badly, unless I use a cane. My right leg is shorter than my normal left leg, and further out from my core.  My kneecaps are even crooked!  I am losing muscle in my surgical leg.  The screw is still residing in my minimus gluteus muscle.  Limping hurts my back too much.  I have disc desiccation.  The more I limp, the more my back hurts. So I walk with a cane to stay upright, the pain is horrible,  but my back feels better.  What's the answer?  there is none, so I take percocet for the pain.  If I sit around it's not so bad, when I get up to walk is when the pain starts.  When I stand, I stand with my right surgical leg behind my left one for less pain, but my body suffers.  I am trying to find help, but every doctor has refused to help me, why won't they? They see a patient who is swelled up and in pain.  So I am out of options, and depressed. I have carried health insurance throughout this whole ordeal and still do.
   When you sleep with major pain, and cant sleep on your back or your right side because of the swelling, its not fun.  Walking is horrible, my posture is horrible, I feel my leg was a doctors experiment, it looks different from my regular one.  What I want is to be fixed.  If it requires surgery, so be it.  I cannot live with this pain, what can I do?, and why won't the doctor's help me?  I just want the pain and depression to stop.  Please help me or tell me who can. It is sad when the medical community overlooks patients who have pain and swelling for $ signs. We need help,  I'm sure im not alone.  How can this be resolved?  I want to feel like a normal proud human being instead of an experiment.



  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1496
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
Get a copy of your x-ray and mail it to Dr. Gross with your explanation of what you've been going through, he'll give you a phone consult, he's great at fixing other doctors screwups.

He's in Columbia SC but many people travel to him for help.

RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 130
Re: Need help
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
Agree with OBX.  Who scoped your hip back in 2005.  Dr Gross will review your newest X-ray in the last 6 months.  MRI may not be as useful to him.  I would consider sending that MRI to Dr Byrd in Memphis Tennessee.   They would talk with each other about your issue if it was that complicated.  I would start with Dr Gross first and go on his lead.  Hope you get some relief soon. Most of us have felt the same helplessness but keep your head up.  Life can change in the blink of an eye.

Pat Walter

  • Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3936
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Need help
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:55:28 AM »
I am terribly sorry about the ordeal you have been through.  The best advice has been given to you to get a couple of the VERY TOP experienced hip resurfacing surgeons to look at your x-rays.  The top resurfacing surgeons also do THRs and are much more experienced becuase hip resurfacing is a very diffiuclt surgery.  So they are the top surgeons for hips period. 

Dr. Gross is a great start because you don't have to visit him.  You can email him and attach a copy of your x-rays in a digital format or even send him a copy.  Get an email off to him and in a few weeks he will call  you on the phone.

Dr. Su of NY is also another that does a lot of revisions of other doctors poorly placed resurfacings and thrs.

Dr. De Smet of Belgium also specializes in revisions of other doctors problems.  When I was there, a lady arrived in a wheelchair due to poor surgery on her hip she hurt when a horse fell on her.  The US doctors really messed her up.  She was crutching around before I left and then returned to riding later.

You have had a run of surgeons that did not know what they were doing, or did a poor job - no matter the reason, you need a top surgeon or two to tell you what can be done.

All of the doctors contact info is listed here, you can see the surgeons at the top of the list that have done over 1000 resurfacings. 


You may have to travel or go overseas, but it is you life and health you need to reclaim.  I hope the surgeons can give you some advice.  Unfortunatley after you have already had a series of surgeries, things are going from bad to worse.  Hopefully, there will still be a solution.  It becomes very diffiuclt with the hip replacements so badly placed.

Keep us updated when you can.  We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 79
Re: Need help
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
As always Chuck and Pat give great advice.  You clearly need a great hip surgeon and the ones listed are in the top 10 (maybe 5) in the world.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery


  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3907
Re: Need help
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
You've gotten some good, positive advice. You need to get your XRays into the hands of the best surgeons possible. Dr. Gross, as Pat has pointed out is a very good first option as well as the others.

You've put your fate into the hands of local surgeons who have not done well by you, you need the best possible.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
Re: Need help
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »
Thanks you all, im going to get updated xrays and send them to Dr. Gross, hopefully he can be my savior.


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 95
Re: Need help
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
Good luck, I hope you get this worked out. You will get good info from Dr. Gross


  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 326
Re: Need help
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:17 AM »
Some good advise already give - hope you can make some progress - stay positive



Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear


Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat

Powered by EzPortal