+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lower leg pain after resurfacing  (Read 2799 times)

jcharles

Lower leg pain after resurfacing
« on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:54 PM »
Hi, I am brand new to the group. I had a right total resurfacing just over four weeks ago now and I'm having some pain/tenderness in my lower right leg, just below the calf. It doesn't hurt all the time, mainly just when I touch it or brush up against something. It definitely hurts worse in the morning when I first get up. There is no swelling or "fevered"/red look. I spoke to the doctor on the phone today and he said it sounds to him more like I have just overworked my muscles/tendons down there due to my change in walking post surgery. I am going to try to do some ice/heat tonight and tomorrow (if it's really muscle strain, that should help I figure). I can't help shake my hypochondria and wonder about blood clots. Has anyone has a similar experience?

Dee Dee

Re: Lower leg pain after resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »
I had the same problem with my first surgery. I actually went to the ER to get it checked.  It cost me a $100 copay and 4 hours, but I got peace of mind.  No blood clot.  The staff said I was smart to get it checked.

I'm four weeks out on my second and feeling some of the same issues.  I am not a doc but you could ask yourself a few questions.  Are you doing a lot of ankle pumps?  That could be aggrivating muscles.  Also, is it possible that something is pinching in your back from the new posture? That could cause lower leg pain. 

Just wanted to let you know it does happen and it does not always mean blood clot.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:20:03 PM »
Throbbing can be one symptom, don't play around if you at all think you have a blood clot.  Sometimes you can have deferred pain in the weirdest places though.

As Dee Dee correctly stated, it's smart to get it checked out, also stress can cause problems, if this continues get it checked out.

Chuck

Hi, I am brand new to the group. I had a right total resurfacing just over four weeks ago now and I'm having some pain/tenderness in my lower right leg, just below the calf. It doesn't hurt all the time, mainly just when I touch it or brush up against something. It definitely hurts worse in the morning when I first get up. There is no swelling or "fevered"/red look. I spoke to the doctor on the phone today and he said it sounds to him more like I have just overworked my muscles/tendons down there due to my change in walking post surgery. I am going to try to do some ice/heat tonight and tomorrow (if it's really muscle strain, that should help I figure). I can't help shake my hypochondria and wonder about blood clots. Has anyone has a similar experience?
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »
Welcome Jcharles.

That pain sounds familiar, although I'm not sure when it occurred in the first 6 weeks, ended up being part of the healing  process for me.  As noted above, and as it sounds you are already, be vigilant about anything that could be a clot or infection.

Best regards for a smooth recovery.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
Hi and welcome to the group. You've gotten some very good advice, there's nothing wrong with being vigilant and taking extra steps.

Get it checked out, clear your mind. Most likely there's nothing wrong, but you don't lose anything by clearing away something you're worried about.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Baby Barista

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
I know one of the most common causes of pain just above the ankle, is from the surgical assistant gripping it as they hold your leg in traction for more than an hour. It has happened to me both times... the second being the worst. I'm now more than three weeks out and the pain is still there. I even have a bruise that is exactly a hand's width. Of course, this may not be the source of your pain. Best to check with your doc... but it is not the least bit uncommon.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Jezza25

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
Hi

I'm 7 weeks in and it my lower leg pain just about pretty much finished. I too had a general soreness in my lower leg which was worse on sitting for a while. All gone now, no clots and having seen my sister suffer one I'm pretty aware of the symptoms.

Hope all goes well from now on.

J
L BHR

McMinn 13/11/12

phillwad

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:17 PM »
I had a pain in both my legsafter the 2 hip resurfacing - it travelled down past the knee into the lower leg.  For me it passed right at the 4 to 5 week period.

Like the others - get it checkedif you have any doubt.

Ross

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
 Charles.  Did you stop taking your NSAID.  If you did I would keep taking for a while.  If you really want peace of mind and it has stuck around for at least 3-4 days tell him to schedule US for you.  You are taking you aspirin still I would guess after your blood thinner.
Cordially,
Ross

BrianMc

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »
Before surgery for several years, I would notice a radiating sensation down my leg past my knee to about mid calf.  Not a terrible pain, just a sensation with a little soreness.  I figured it was the hip pain, but I also suspected it was the nerve that runs through the leg (cant think right now) getting agrivated a little.  I had been taking so much Ibupropen, that pain would often go away even though the hip pain may only get a mild soothing from the Ibupropen.  Once I had surgery, the hip part of the pain went away, and I could still feel the lower part sometimes.  Also a few weeks after surgery a BIG difference, is that I rarely took anything for pain for my hip anymore.  Due to that, the other parts of me were needing some meds.  While not like the hip pain, everything else started to feel sore after the hip was fixed.  Law of nature, is that the pain moves to the next most vulnerable spot.  In my case, its feet and knees.
Right BHR 5-3-2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat