+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Post-op update - RBHR 3rd Jan 2013, Mr Treacy, Birmingham, England  (Read 4289 times)

evant

Hi

I checked in to Ward 2 of the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, England @ 4pm Wed 2nd Jan 2013.

I was allocated bed b in room 10, a spacious 4 bed room with a large shower / toilet room. Shortly after, another of Mr Treacy's patients checked in to room 10 also. He would be having a BHR fitted to his left hip the following day. We spent the evening sharing our experiences and naturally developing a supportive friendship to aid each other upto and beyond the operation itself.

Later in the evening, Mr Treacy's registrar confirmed that my fellow patient would be operated on at @ 9am the next day, and I would follow at @ 10am. Each operation estimated to take @ 30minutes.

I read until @ 1am - "A Street Cat named Bob" - a recent true story about a stray cat and it's adopted owner in central London.

At 10am on Thursday 3rd Jan 2013 I was indeed in the room next to the operating theatre, being made ready for the operation. Mr Treacy came in to say the previous operation had gone well and that they would shortly be ready for me. I understand the complexities of the BHR operation but I honestly felt very safe in Mr Treacy's hands and not afraid.

At @ 1:20pm I was coming back to life in the recovery room, and a short time later rejoined my fellow patient in room 10 on Ward 2 with the instructions to remain on my back for 24 hours. I recall being pleasantly surprised that I felt no pain or soreness from the operation. An inflating / deflating lower leg device was fitted to aid circulation until I was mobile on crutches. Thereafter lower leg compression stockings were to be worn for 6 weeks.

I quickly settled down with a cup of tea and some toast and happily carried on reading my book. The physiotherapist visited briefly to get me started on the required exercise routine.

For the operation I had been given a general anaesthetic and then some sort of spinal anaesthetic (not an epidural) - the latter anaesthetic apparently to try and prevent the need for a catheter.

Within a few hours I began to feel unwell and had to put down my book. Apparently my blood pressure dropped significantly beyond normal and I passed out, thankfully activating some alarms to attract the attention of the nurses. When they were coaxing me back to life I threw up a number of times too. From then on until midnight I was monitored every 15 mins and slowly began to feel better. The nurses informed me that it was a reaction, which some patients have, to the effect of the anaesthetic wearing off.

In the early evening two patients filled the remaining beds in the room. They had both just been fitted with a new knee joint by a different surgeon. All four of us developed a friendly supportive relationship which I found helpful.

Anti-coagulation injections were started and were to be continued for 4 weeks. Not being particularly fond of injections I was anxious at the thought of having to do this myself. If anyone else has similar concerns please don't worry. They are of a child type friendly design and so simple and pain free to self-administer into a non sensitive pinch of skin @ 2 inches either side of your 'belly button' - the nurse shows you the correct method of use and location.

The following day, friday 4th Jan, I felt good and the physiotherapist visited. I was able to get out of bed and use a zimmer frame (walking aid) from my bed to the shower / toilet room. In the early afternoon the physiotherapist saw me exploring outside my room using the zimmer frame and suggested I try using a pair of crutches. After a monitored period of tuition I was declared mobile and, with Mr Treacy's agreement, would be allowed home the next day. Mr Treacy confirmed this when he visited later.

On Saturday 5th Jan 2013, @ 2pm, I was discharged. We used a small hatchback car for the 4 hour drive home. I used a single bed pillow to make the front passenger seat comfortable enough. For a short period I lay the seat near horizontal as my pain killing medication was wearing off. We stopped once only so I could take further medication. I only had to ask my girl friend to slow down on roundabouts as the centrifugal force at moderate speed made it quite uncomfortable for me.

At 6pm on Saturday 5th Jan 2013 I was home and ready to start the next stage of my recovery.

My stay on Ward 2 at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham was efficient, professional, full of good genuine humour, and really enjoyable - all thanks to the brilliant nurses and the supporting care staff. The food was delicious with always a good choice - the celebrity BBC tv chef James Martin had recently re-vamped the menu.

I am very greatful to Mr Treacy, his registrar Akash Sharma, his anaesthetist, and the other wonderful members in Mr Treacy's medical team. Mr Treacy's secretaries have also been brilliant for me throughout.

I initially posted towards the end of Sept 2012 asking for advice, using a different username. I changed my username to protect the innocent - me.

I had been offered a hip resurfacing by a local orthopaedic surgeon. (He had operated on me 12 months previously and did a hip arthroscopy, leaving a 2-3mm piece of cutting tool inside me, and within 7-8 months my hip was so bad that I was unable to do my job anymore). He had done @ 20 hip resurfacing operations during a 4 year period using a resurfacing device I hadn't heard of.

Tremendous rapid responses to my initial Sept 2012 post from Hernanu, Mike D, Dannywayoflife, and Pat made it easy for me to see a clear way forward and the need to obtain a second opinion from a highly experienced hip resurfacing surgeon. B.I.L.L. also made it absolutely clear to avoid inexperienced surgeons.

Dannywayoflife and Mike D were then tremendously helpful before and after my appointment with Mr Treacy.

In early October 2012,  Mr Treacy offered to fit me with a BHR on the NHS (National Health Service). All it needed was for my GP (local doctor) to respond to Mr Treacy's letter and simply refer me back to see Mr Treacy.

Unfortunately my GP said he would not do this. My GP said Mr Treacy would have to complete an application form stating his case why I should be treated by him. This would then have to be submitted to the North Wales Health Board, part of NHS Wales.

This is when I discovered that the NHS does not actually apply to the whole of the UK equally - each country has quietly / secretly amended it's own version of the NHS and considered it best to not let citizens know how negatively these amendments could affect them.

My GP added that Mr Treacy's application was likely to be unsuccessful as I had already been offered similar treatment by the local North Wales surgeon - the same surgeon who had done @20 hip resurfacing operations in 4 years.

@ 5 weeks later, late November 2012,  the application to be treated by Mr Treacy was refused as similar treatment was available locally.

I had no choice but to 'move' country. Towards the end of November 2012 I went to and  registered with a GP in England. Fortunately my new english GP referred me without delay to Mr Treacy.

Mr Treacy's secretaries were brilliant to me throughout and, with their kind help, by 3rd January 2013 @ 10am I was on the operating table in the hands of Mr Treacy.

It has been a tremendous struggle to get to this point. But I'm where I wanted to be, and I believe I've been given the best chance possible to recover well and reclaim my life. I have met some absolutely lovely people along the way, and I wish there were a lot more of them in this world. Sadly I also met some strange people, some unfortunately in positions of power.

I apologise to Pat and all surface hippies for my post being too long - feel free to cut out / skip the boring bits as you see fit.

Sincere best wishes to all current and future surface hippies.

evant

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Post-op update - RBHR 3rd Jan 2013, Mr Treacy, Birmingham, England
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:59:48 PM »
Evant
Congratulations on the new hip resurfacing! Glad things are going well.

NO POST IS TOO LONG when it is about your personal story how you are getting your life back and out of pain.  Many perspective patients like to read the detailed accounts so they know what to expect.

I appreciate people taking time to post their stories, long or short.  The in depth stories are very informative.

Write away!  Good Luck on your recovery and keep us updated.  I usually put together a person's posts and put them on the main website so others can read the whole story in one place.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 04:28:03 AM »
That's a great write up there mate! I'm so glad that in some small way I could help and suport you! I wish you a speedy recovery and stay intouch!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »
Nothing boring about that post. Excellent description, I'm sure it will help hippies down the line considering the same steps. Great to see you're at a good starting point and ready to recover.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mike D

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »
Yes, a great post. Congratulations on receiving a BHR from one of the worlds best surgeons.
You fought hard for it, beat our crappy system and can now look forward to a pain free hip!
What a great start to the year.
By the way-30 minutes to resurface a hip? The guy is a genius.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

HippyDogwood

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »
Great write up and well done on working a sensible way through a crazy system

phillwad

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
Thanks for the briefing - congrats

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:20:07 AM »
I remember your intial postings and I think we communicated via email a few times, I'm only sorry that I wasn't in a better position to help you more.

I'm so happy that things turned out well and that you're on the road to recovery!
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:49 AM »
How's it going mate?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

evant

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:12 PM »
Hi

Many thanks to all for the supportive comments.

Ruby - I was very grateful for our email exchange - apologies for the unintentional omission in my initial post.

Danny - we recently caught up via cell phone text messaging.

Apologies for lack of any more posting until now, but I wanted to focus on my recovery until I passed some significant milestones.

As of today I am 3 weeks post-op.

So far I feel happy to be cautious and not push my recovery.

I'm able to walk short distances with 1 crutch and all feels ok.

I still occasionally take pain killing medication, either once during the day, or before I go to bed.

Since arriving home from hospital I have walked outside, with both crutches, every day (except one day when we had @ 4" snow). Week 1 for 20 minutes, weeks 2 and 3 for 1 hour. It is my favourite part of every single day.

In weeks 1 and 2 I did struggle with swelling around the knee of the operated leg. I was unable to bend that knee more than @ 30 degrees and it was painful too. At the end of week 2 I tried frequent icing for short periods around the swelling. Initially it seemed to help but soon I noticed that the icing had appeared to set up an unpleasant chill within my body and for most of week 3 I felt I was about to develop a cold.

My partner suggested trying a hot water bottle around the swelling instead. The swelling around the knee of the operated leg is reducing gradually but I gained an unpleasant nagging pain around the shin / calf area instead. So for every day of week 3 I've used a hot water bottle around the knee or shin / calf area and I feel it's working for me so far.

I understand the importance of avoiding a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) so hope I would be aware if I had symptoms strongly suggesting this.

Constipation post-op lasted for 9 days. I ate 3 moderately sized healthy meals every day and can honestly say I didn't suffer discomfort or pain, however at each passing day I did wonder how much longer could this go on for. I understand that the daily use of pain killing medication causes this.

14 days post-op and all 37 metal staples removed pain-free by the pretty nurse at my local GP's (doctor) surgery. She informed that the wound had not quite closed but was looking very healthy.

Orca, our @ 6 year old black and white female cat, has kept me company during weeks 1, 2 and 3. Initially she appeared to sense that I was not well. This soon changed and the thigh of my operated leg is her favourite place, even at night when I'm in bed. So, every day and night, sometimes many times, and much to her dismay I have to lift her off to give me some respite from her @ 12 lb (@ 5 kg) weight.

I look forward to continued improvement with my recovery and posting again following my 6 week post-op appointment with Mr Treacy.

Best regards to all.

Evant

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:15:31 PM »
It's slow going at first but it's worth it mate! I'll be intouch so glad your coming on.

Ps use ice ice and ice! It's a wonder drug! ;)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »
Evant, it all sounds good. Those are typical and transient things to encounter, the trick will be still attracting your cat once the swelling cushion is gone  :o

The main thing is that everything seems to be going well, and the walking appears to be in good shape. Congrats.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lycraman

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »
Evant

Great story and good on you for taking the initiative and moving GPs into England to make sure you got what was best for you.  I see that often in my day job, but it concerns me how often those less enlightened have to make do with a local surgeon who isn't up to the task technically. 
I, like you, chose Mr Treacy and have absolutely no regrets. I'm now nearly 5 months post op and barely think about the restrictions. I don't do anything daft like running but I've done lots of miles on the bike and I'm just starting light yoga to aid the range of movement.  I have little pain unless I tweak it a bit far.  I expect that will come over the next 6 months as my range of movement will increase. My only advice is take it easy but keep doing the exercises and don't be afraid of talking with the physios as sometimes muscle/back pain can be due to the simplest things - I had back pain develop which was down to adhesions beneath my scar and it took 20 minutes with the physio to sort it out!
Left Birmingham Hip Resurfacing
11th September 2012
Mr Ronan Treacy 54mm head 60mm cup

evant

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:33 AM »
Many thanks for more supportive comments.

Lycraman - it's good to meet another Treacy hippy and to hear of your progress. Thanks for the recovery advice too. Sounds like you had your operation with Mr Treacy about the same time as Mike D and Ruby. I will always be grateful to Dannywayoflife and Mike D for my choice of surgeon.

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

Ross

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
How does that work with your healthcare in Your country.  Did you end up paying out of pocket?
Ross

evant

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »
Ross

Just the cost of the 800 mile round trip to my new 'local' doctor, a gift (not compulsory) for my partner's sister +family for using their house, and the stress of hoping the plan would work - there was no guarantee.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »
I've gt to say I love your lateral thinking mate!

Ross we have a system here in the UK that is free at the point of treatment. We pay through our taxes. However it's far from perfect(largely due to being abused by everyone in Europe who don't even contribute!) but it could I managed properly be the best in the world. I have had my problems with the nhs but I am glad to have it!

Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat