+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Zazen after HR  (Read 5627 times)

jcharles

Zazen after HR
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »
I had a total right hip resurfacing about 5 weeks ago. Prior to that I was an avid martial artist and practitioner of Zen Buddhism. I know I will have to take it slow getting back into karate, but I have been wondering about my future zazen practice. Does anyone know whether there are positions that I will basically have to avoid from here on out? I never was able to sit in a full lotus and don't really care about that. I generally sit in seiza with the aid of a pillow or bench. Is is safe to get back in that position and, if so, when?

thanks!

phillwad

Re: Zazen after HR
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
I know from my own recovery I work every week on improving my range of motion - slowly with lots of stretches.  I am new to yoga but I have found it helps.  One year out from my 2nd I do not have any restrictions on movement, positions etc. - I love it!!

John C

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
If you are used to sitting in seiza with a pillow or bench, you should have no problems at all. As far as when, it is more of a comfort issue. Since seiza does not break any potential 90 degree restrictions that some surgeons have for the first six weeks, I do not see any firm time restriction, other than the challenge of getting up and down for the first week or two. You will probably find that you will be stiff when you first get up (also known as start up pain), but I do not see that being any worse than when sitting in a chair, and maybe better since your hip will be less flexed. Given the choice, I would probably start with a padded seisa bench rather than a pillow, for a little more solid support.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »
I was able to get into seiza at about four months.

As John mentions, it is more the ability to get into the position and rise from it. At first (and still when I do it at home),  I put a bench in front to help get down an up. Obviously now it's not a problem.

I have found it (as I'm sure you know) a great way to stretch the muscles on the thighs and shins, etc. No limitations for me, I'm now back to good workouts (bag, weights, full stretching), and have taken up yoga again.

It takes time, though - I did not begin any martial arts workout until one year or so, yoga at about 14 months (I was not a practitioner before, for others who are, they came back to it earlier). The main thing is to heal for the first 6 months to a year, the rest of your life comes back based on a good foundation of healing.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:24:36 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat