+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral by Dr. Su - surgery day plus 9....left feeling better than the right.  (Read 6165 times)

mustang4172

Feeling pretty good 9 days post procedure. No complaints about the care I received at the HSS.  Getting in home PT for another week or so and will then continue as an outpatient. Any other Dr. Su patients out there who had them both done at once?  If so, did you find one feeling better than the other sooner? Muscle pain and stiffness on the right is noticeably more than on the left.  Easier for me to put weight on my left side as opposed to my right.  Anyone out there have similar experience?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:22:48 PM by mustang4172 »
Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

phillwad

I wimped out and waited 5 months between having my 2nd hip done.  Hero for getting them both done at once

hippy hippy shake

I have seen similar reports in posts from other bilateral patients.  General thoughts from other Hippys seems to be that the amount of OA and the tightening of muscles was likely different for each side - although I don't know personally.

Hopefully without hijacking your thread, Mustang, I have my initial consultation with Dr. Su in a couple of weeks and am considering doing both at once.  How long is the hospital stay?  Any other special considerations compared to taking some time in between, e.g., upper body strength, physical condition,  etc. ?

Thanks. 
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

hernanu

I think everyone has a similar story, whether simultaneous bilat or with some time in between.

Each hip had different OA damage, the muscles react differently, so there is a unique path back to health for both. My right (my 'better' leg before the HRs) lags a bit (we're talking a hugely minute bit) behind the left a bit still; it's in great shape, but my left is kicking some serious behind.

Eventually it evens out, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mustang4172

Hippy hippy shake: if I had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing. I'm a long time cyclist and swimmer and made point of also lifting weights in the months prior to surgery.  Upper body strength is key.  Dr. Su saw no reason why I shouldn't have them both done at once.  They were both in bad shape.  I had my surgery on New Year's eve and went home Jan 3rd. For me, the overall feeling of malaise post surgery was more uncomfortable than the pain (which was surprisingly not too bad).  See what Dr. Su says... He's a great guy.  The PA who works for him was also very helpful during my initial consultation.  And the HSS staff was top notch, they're focused on managing pain and discomfort. 

Hernanu: thanks for the feedback.  Yeah, makes sense about the severity of the OA.  Now that I think of it, Dr. Su mentioned that he had to do more "clean up" of my right hip joint, which is the one that is weaker post op.

Woodstock Hippy

Stang, you are very early in the healing process. Your muscles were cut and re-attached.  You have a very long way to go.  Give it time, work hard on your recovery.  Once your stitches or staples or whatever are out, get yourself to the pool.  Even just walking in the shallow end, you'll start to feel how great it's going to be.

My right side was much worse than my left, but the left always lagged behind in the recovery. Everything was good but there was just something on the left.   At about 12 1/2 months the left finally caught up and it's like there was never anything wrong.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

mustang4172

Woodstock, thanks for the encouraging words.  Yeah, I am jumping the gun.  I have to keep reminding myself that this was a major procedure with a long rehab.

Kelly

23 days ago  (April 12) I had a bilateral resurfacing by Dr Su.  I have been walking and riding a trainer at the health club.  I spend 45 minutes 3-5 times a week in a pool.  I put on a waster flotation belt and walk back and forth high stepping, backwards/forwards, side step as far as is comfortable plus a touch and the side step weave to a degree.  Then I grab a flotation noddle and do bike (cycling) exercises in deeper water.  Frog kick  but floating with my feet down and  kicking in the same position.  You can get a bit of a work out.  But I am now feeling less dependent on the crutches and around the house don't always use them.  Great weather and I am thinking some light raking in the yard today (May 5th).  Xrays this coming week and my month follow up.  If it goes well I think I'll be on my bike very soon.  With a bilateral I plan on a total bike fit by a local PT who also rides and does fits.

Now my aging knee, that is close to bone on bone is calling out with the new alignment.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat