+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Unnatural feeling  (Read 3723 times)

jesswhelan

Unnatural feeling
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
Has anyone felt like their hip feels more or less unnatural following hip resurfacing? It's been 7 months since surgery and my hip feels unnatural and not like it did before.  When I walk its almost like I have to think about the steps I'm taking and the leg feels like it sits more upright and higher than the other leg. Also there is always a clunking sensation in my hip and it feels heavy if that makes sense. Anyone felt this? I'm starting to regret the fact that I had undergone surgery altogether.

hernanu

Re: Unnatural feeling
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »
Hi Jess, until about a year went by, I had a good amount of clunking at different times. Brushing my teeth for some reason brought it on.

My right leg in particular took a bit more coaching than my left, and was still worse at balancing than my left until about a year went by.  I guess the way I look at it, the muscles were so compromised over the seven years of OA that I put up with, plus the manipulation from the surgery, that I haven't expected to be 100% until about now. It's pretty much what's happened; doesn't mean I don't enjoy being without pain and fully functional, but the sports, etc. started really coming in about 16-18 months along for me.

When you say unnatural, do you feel pain?  I know I had a lot of massage and physical therapy afterwards to strengthen the muscles and to break up scar tissue. Did you have physical therapy?

I know you had a seroma, was that treated?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:12:15 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Marco Polo

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
Jess:

My hip resurfacing isn't scheduled until the first week of April, but from the comments I have read on this board clunking is fairly common although it should become less frequent over time.  You could probably do a key word search on the website and learn more about the experience others have had.

The fact that your hip feels"unnatural" seems unusual after 7 months.  Have you made any progress with resuming physical activity?  Who was your doctor, and what do your X-rays indicate?

Marco
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

jesswhelan

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the insight.  Inside the joint feels great which I'm very thankful for, but all around the incision ( the incision is down the lateral side of my leg) is very sore, greater trochanteric bursitis, tight gluteal muscles, and even pain in my thigh below the incision. Not sure if this is normal for 7 months post op? I've tried pt exercises and stretching but in my opinion it's aggravating the muscles more than helping at this point. I'm just afraid this pain, tightness, tenderness of the soft tissues will never leave. It just seems that at 7 months I should be seeing more improvement, I suppose I have to be more patient. I had surgery by Peter brooks at Cleveland clinic. He basically told me that with time I will feel better. I hope he's right. I had an MRI which showed a small amount of effusion which indicated a seroma, but my doc says that is of no concern at this point. Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »
Sharp pain up and down your leg might make me worry but it does not sound at this point serious.

Many people have had soreness and stiffness at 7-12 months, it's not abnormal.  Sometimes if I push it too much I will have a flare up, if it continues ask your surgeon for an x-ray script, it will put your mind at rest for sure.  If your doctor allows NSAIDs I would take some and ice down the areas in question and rest as much as you can.  Sometimes it can be inflamation.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

luann again

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »
Hi, for what it's worth, I was literally in tears once or twice at 7-11 months post op. my aches seemed to be worsening, and my leg was really stiff. Almost like magic, at my one year ann I had a complete turn around. Now at 2 1/2 years, it still just keeps getting better. Continue to communicate with your Dr but don't despair. It may and probably will keep getting better. Mine used to feel " unnatural " too. Now about 90 percent of the time I don't feel it at all!  Good luck!  Lu
Dr. Sparling WA Wright C+ 2010 right hip, petite female done at age 45

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »
Unfortunately, there is no normal.  I know some people took a full year to two years to get back to their own "normal."  Maybe you should not push so hard with the PT and let things settle down.  Usually unless there is very bad pain, the doctors are not worried.  If you have talked to Brooks about your problem and he says give it time, I would do that.  He is one of the very experienced surgeons and I don't know any big problems with any of his patients.  I am sure there are a few with problems, but have never had them post. 

We are all different and sometimes the very athletic and active people have more problems than those semi couch potatos like myself. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »
Jess,  I always "thought" about my hip until sometime after a year.  I did not have any pain ( a little discomfort now and then) but I was worried about trusting it totally.  I went slalom water skiing after 1 year and was worried I would break something loose.  I felt good after 1 year but noticed a big improvement from 18 month to 2 years. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

patrick_d

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
Brushing my teeth for some reason brought it on.

Funny, that is true for me too.  Doesnt happen alot, but that is one of the places where it does.  I wondered for a while if it might just be the way I stand in front of a sink/counter-top, but doing dishes does not seem to bring it on.  Also happens while standing and singing at church, but that is a hard floor that slopes slight down and I bet that is part of the issue.  Generally, I think that my "standing still" muscles around the hip need some more reconditioning and then I expect/hope this clicking to completely go away.
Dr. Gross 14-Nov-2012
Biomet Recap - Right Hip
41 yrs old at surgery

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:17 PM »
I think so, Patrick - my own theory is that getting ready in the morning is one of the more contemplative times for me. It is one of the few times all day long when I'm more aware of my body and taking care of it.

So it may be the time when I'm more aware of the slight movements and their effect. Or I may be completely wrong and there is an as yet unknown interaction between my tooth brush and my hips. Either one  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat