+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2XL-Tall  (Read 1700 times)

hippy hippy shake

2XL-Tall
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »
Hi,

I have a friend with an HRA so he's been able to answer lots of questions for me.  Reading here has been extremely helpful as well. 

However, throughout life I have found that people don't recognize some of the differences one has to deal with being a taller/big guy.  (E.g., XL t-shirts do not fit, feet hang over the bed, etc...) So, here's a question for all of the guys that fit the subject description (2XL-Tall) - what particular differences should I expect given that I am a tall guy?  Any particular issues with the hospital, recovery, longer-term issues with the resurfacing, etc.?  FYI, I am 6'5", 230 lbs. 

Since I unfortunately am looking at a bilateral, are there any special considerations with respect to doing them at the same time given my height and weight?  Up until recently I've always had more leg strength than upper body strength. 

Any tips or suggestion would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 2XL-Tall
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »
Hi

Tall people and some very heavy people have had hip resurfacing.  Your questions would best be answered by your surgeon.  From my past reading and information, I don't recall anything about problems  being tall.  Some very athletic men have given the surgeons problems since they are so muscular. 

Some surgeons prefer to do bilats at the same time and others want time between the two.  So that is another question you need to ask.

Maybe there are some really tall guys here that can talk to you, if not don't give up on resurfacing, just get some input from several of the top surgeons.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
Sorry I can't speak on behalf of tall folks, but Pat is right.  Dr. Gross in South Carolina will do a free phone consulatation (you just have to send an X-ray to him).  He's done over 3000 resurfacings, so odds are he's done some taller and heavier folks.  And, he'll answer you straight up.....no smoke or mirrors.  Others do the same.

Good luck.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Ross

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
Hi Hippy I tried to post a long detailed reply the other day but obviously didn't go through.  I am 6'3" 225lbs xl most of the time.  Here isa quick break down by most important.

1.  Pick a great surgeon.  Pat has listed many.  I have met a couple and loved Dr Gross and his staff.  There is a reason so many fly to SC to see him.

1.5. Pick a great surgeon

2.  The hospital beds elongate so your feet won't hang off the bed.

3.  The hip kit has a grabber that will be useless to you.  It is to short.  Use your cane.

4.  Make sure you have a reclining chair at home that is comfortable and has strong arm support as you will be pushing yourself up from seated stiff as a board

5.  Work on your upper body strength triceps mainly and back for good support as you start limping.  Your leg strength will mean little as it is going to go on vacation for a month.

6.  Do not let PT convince you to stand up on your own if you are below 90 degrees as it is extremely painful and you won't forget it.

7.  Raised toilet street must must must

8.  Don't be afraid to tell people what you need, want, and expect.  They are prepared, ready, and thorough. 

9.  Read everything you can on this site.  You will see a good few people who did not follow the rules and they are having another surgery to fix the damage or incompetence.

Good luck,
Ross

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies - especially Ross.  You've highlighted a couple of things I hadn't thought of, or just didn't know.

I guess I should have made it clear that my 5 month wait to see Dr. Su is ending and I see him for my initial consult next week.  So, I think I've got the good surgeon point covered.

I welcome any additional thoughts and/or suggestions.

Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

Ross

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
Dr Su is very talented and trained with the best.  Your in good hands. He is very talented. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat