+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scared Seattleite/ female  (Read 2236 times)

janat

Scared Seattleite/ female
« on: January 14, 2013, 10:07:17 PM »
Hi all,

I just found this site yesterday and it has eased my fears considerably.  I am still very scared about the process and recovery.Thank you for the stories and observations regarding this operation.  I am seeing Dr. Pritchett for my surgery and thanks to this board I feel much more comfortable about his abilities.
I am a 42 year old woman who just wants to walk without a limp and work out with high intensity cardio again.  I feel that I am so young to have this surgery,but know that it is the best for me.
My surgery is 2/5. Yikes.

hernanu

Re: Scared Seattleite/ female
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
Hi janat, welcome to the site!

It is completely normal to be nervous and scared. Especially if it's the first time you're having serious surgery. You can take comfort from having a great resurfacing surgeon.

We have several people who are younger than you who have had successful HRs, so at 42 it is not unusual. We all felt that we are too young to have this, but I came to the decision (as you obviously did also) that it was time to stop the pain.

The recovery is not a cakewalk, but it is bearable and better by far, I think both mentally and physically than the downward spiral of OA.

Yikes is right, but on the other hand, it is the time when you jump start your life again.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anna

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:52:46 AM »
Hi Janat!

Welcome to this ace little site. I think you will find it very valuable for advice and moral support over the next few months. Theres some great people on here..... and very knowlegable too!

Good luck for your operation. Not long to go. I think its pretty natural to be scared. I know I will be when I finally get my op, but I dont think you will regret it!

Good luck

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

PattyM

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:35:57 AM »
Hi Janat!
I suffered for about 10 years! Age 40 when I had my son to 50 when I had my surgery.
I had no idea I could feel great again!
About 4 weeks after my surgery it hit me, I was me again!
It might sound a little weird but you get a sense not just physical but mentally
that you are back.
My surgery was 8/20/12 and I too was very nervous. I had to take
Valium to help me relax at night for the last 2 wks before surgery.
It wasn't the easiest  thing I ever did , but so worth it.
I am doing it again in Feb.
Good luck to you!
Patty ;D 
Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

morph

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »
It might sound a little weird but you get a sense not just physical but mentally
that you are back.

Mentally because you have no pain or discomfort which for me had a profound effect, physical is gradual over 4-6 months I would say, but improvements all the time. The hardest thing for me was the wait just a few hours before. But there was really no need. The recovery is a challenge, but can be enjoyable as you progress through the stages, I found sleeping on my back all night uncomfortable - prop yourself up with tonnes of pillows. Getting in and out of bed can be a bit nippy too - you will develop your own techniques for this. Try and set yourself tasks/challenges to do so that your are focussed on something. You'll be fine.

LBHR - 58mm ball, 64mm cup
7th June 2012 - Mr J P Holland - Newcastle

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »
Dr. P is an excellent surgeon, with tons of experience.  He's done tons of research and keeps up on the latest and greatest.  You're in good hands.  Swedish was great also. 

I was 41 when I got my first HR.  Like a lot of folks here, we all think we're too young.  Part of the problem is that the average person only thinks about prosthetic hips when they think of their grandma or someone quite a bit older.  I think there probably are a good percentage of 40-ish, 50-ish people out there that have moderate to bead bad OA, they just aren't doing anything about it, or they've been told by their local ortho clinic to wait it out with drugs and get a THR at 60 or something like that.  They whole notion, of "you're too young for a new hip" puts a spin on how we perceive it.  Stick around and your perspective will change.  You're never too young, if the pain and limited ROM is a major life-changing issue. 

Good luck and PM me if you want to ask some detailed questions about Dr. P, his staff, Swedish,...  I've been through twice, might be a little fuzzy around the edges, although a lot of it's here and some on the blog I wrote http://onehipdude.blogspot.com/.  Haven't updated in a long time. 

Morph - love the avatar
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »
Welcome Janat,

I had the jitters alot prior to my first one, at some point the realization that my hip would stop getting worse the day before the surgery, and continue to improve after, helped calm me down considerably.  The recovery can be trying, but the benefits of you new "magic" hip will be evident in no time, and you will smile when you walk, or glide really, limp free.

This community will be there for you during recovery, keep us posted and best regards for a smooth recovery.

Dan

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:19:27 PM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

lyn

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
Welcome, Im small boned female 51yrs,  had my left hip done 4.5 months ago and so far everything is going great.Im so much better off than before surgery. I think you will be amazed on how much better your quality of lfe will be. Also surgery , and recovery was much easier than I thought it would be. Good luck!

phillwad

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:13:38 PM »
Janat - I enjoyed getting back to the high end cardio again - having both hips done has added so much range of motion - I can now get on my bike easily.  In the winter I had to have a chair by the bike because I could not tip it over while connected to trainer - Now it is no problem getting on.  Start back slow and, as everyone will say, take your time...take your time

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »
Welcome, Janat.

Please keep reading here, and I think you'll see such a huge number of success stories that it will continue to set your mind at ease.

It is tough to have to admit you need an "old person's surgery" at such a young age.  But not being in pain is awesome.  I don't know about you, but I started avoiding exercise because I knew the pain that would follow.

I'm 1 year out, and back to very intense workouts.  Like others will say, the only thing that doesn't hurt afterward is the hip.

Good luck, and stay plugged in here.  It is a great group.

-Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

janat

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:10 AM »
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the positive thoughts.

I met with Dr. Pritchett today and decided on the poly/metal option over the BHR.  I am confident with my surgeon, hospital and device. I just need to realize that this is the start of a great new life and be confident in my recovery process.

I will keep reading all of the encouraging and informative stories. My fears are subsiding thanks to this great site.

Jana

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 07:20:47 AM »
Glad you have a course of action.  You're in good hands.

So.....are you getting a THR instead of resurfacing?  Does that afford high-intensity workouts?  I'm just curious.

Good luck!
Andy

BOILER UP!

janat

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »
Hi Imgetinold (love your name, aren't we all?),

I am having the resurfacing done, just not using the metal on metal device, but a poly/metal instead.  I'm small boned and think it is the right path for me.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
Cool!  Good luck!
Andy

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal