+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do people feel mentally after surgery?  (Read 29088 times)

Funky Chicken

How do people feel mentally after surgery?
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:36:35 PM »
Thanks Gavin, that's reassuring (I'm a bilateral too) and good to hear about what you're capable of now.  I nurse this (faint) hope that I can return to horse riding but we'll see...

On another note, how do people find they fare with their mental health after these surgeries?  99% of the time I have been an emotional basket case and I am finding it very hard to cope with just ordinary day to day life at the moment.  Is this a common reaction?

Catherine
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:52:48 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: How do people feel mentally after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »
Hi Catherine

I gave you your own topic since it is a very important one people don't always talk about.

Many people really feel down after surgery.  Your body has gone thru major surgery and you are wondering if everything is going alright, will I recover quickly and will everything be as I hoped for.

Men and women both have issues of feeling down, some to the point of feeling depressed.  It normally will get better just as your body heals.

I have a whole page of posts by people who felt down or their recoveries were too slow.  You might find them very interesting - especially to know you are not alone

http://www.surfacehippy.info/slowrecovery.php

Good luck - take one day at a time.  You will recover and this post op recovery will feel like a dream eventually.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Funky Chicken

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »
Thank you for making this a new topic Pat!

Actually I *think* I am making the right amount of progress for where I'm at, although some of the stories on here are really impressive;  I couldn't contemplate returning to work 2 weeks post-op like someone on here has done but that's not a worry as I should have income protection insurance money soon (it's pending) and the surgeon has signed me off until July.  Having said that I was given the impression by a friend who'd had the procedure that I would practically be Superman straight away so that's maybe a let-down that I haven't had the instant relief that she got...

I guess it's a lot of things - there was of course several years of chronic pain leading up to this, also the ever-increasing disability (unable to work for 1 month prior to the surgery), the complications (developed gastric bleeding from the anti-inflammatories, had an endoscopy in March).  And then there is the fact that although the hip problem is a combination of un-diagnosed congenital subluxation and femoro-acetabular impingement, there is also a component of inflammatory arthritis (psoriatic) and that affects different sets of joints every year.  In March my shoulders started to flare up, but luckily with my enforced inactivity they settled enough that I've been able to use my upper body during the post-op period with no issues.  But the inflammatory arthritis sort of means that I can't just say it's all over now my hips are fixed (and I suppose I should be aware that I get inflammatory reactions after any kind of trauma so that must be affecting my pain levels too)... 

A friend has pointed out that a general anaesthetic in March and then 2 in April, 1 week apart, are enough to send anyone "off" - especially as my first surgery took about 4 hours and the second 2-3 hours I think - he had to do bone grafting and I think also he's very meticulous with his computer aided laser positioning of the implants so I guess none of that helps either!

And, we are looking at buying a lovely 105 year old country cottage and selling this house, all in the next 2 months and I am finding that very overwhelming even though the idea is to start living the kind of life we want.  I suppose I am also finding it hard to re-define myself after all this as someone who may well continue to have limitations.  And, as I am a doctor myself I also feel as if I should just be able to "get on with it" even though I know I wouldn't say that to one of my patients!

I suppose the problem is that now that the surgery is done I feel as I am expected to feel really positive, and I know it's all good and I am improving every day but a lot of the time I just don't feel that way!  And I know I will gradually feel better, etc etc!  I do recall being a lot like this after I had a neurosurgical procedure on the spine in my neck so I suppose it might be a normal response for me...

I think also I have not been used to thinking of myself with a lot of issues but the past few months has really brought them to the fore, even though I keep thinking "that's not me" but at the moment, it is!

Sorry to rant, feel free to delete it all if it's in the wrong place or something!

Catherine

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:18:14 PM »
Hi Catherine

This is the place to talk, vent and even "feel a little sorry for yourself".  Life is not always fair, but we have no choice but to deal with what is thrown at us.

When you are use to living a useful life and helping others - you don't want to be the person needing help.

That too will pass - you will heal - BUT ONLY AT YOUR OWN PACE.  No one elses.  Some athletes that are in really good shape have had slow recoveries and they just hate it.  Then some 61 year old lady like me comes a long and has a quick and easy one. 

No one can predict the pace of your recovery but your own body.  You have no choice but to go along with it.  So the mind and emotions can get the better of you.

It will get better and you will do great.  Just give yourself permission to be a "normal average patient" - not a knowledgeable doctor!

This is the place to find support and express your feelings. It not only helps you but others that could be in the same situation as you are in.

Keep in touch and give yourself permission to take it easy - for as long as it takes.  In reality - there is no other solution anyways.  So enjoy the recovery.  Do things you don't normally get to do during your busy, active life.  Get back to living a casual life reading, watching movies, listening to music or concerts.  Go out to eat - enjoy your friends.  You might really enjoy this slower period in your life.

Recovery is not always a positive situation since you don't have control, only your body has control.  Go with the flow and you will feel better.  It is not a race. We all end up in the same place eventually  with a healed hip, no pain and able to do whatever we want.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:40:27 PM »
I felt more depressed prior to my surgery than afterwards.  Going through a few years of pain and slowly not being able to do the things I loved to do took alot out of me!  Yes, the first month or two, I was dealing with a little depression, but it's because I am such an independent person, it was hard to depend on others to help me out and I wanted to get up and go, but my body wasn't ready to yet.  But once I got back to work and doing all those everyday things again (take a shower, dress myself, drive my car, cook), I felt so much better.  Plus, not having the arthritic pain was like heaven!   Knowing how I felt with just the one hip, I can imagine it was twice as worse with two!  Have faith!  You'll get there!  It's already been 4 months for me, and I only have my scar and a little discomfort to remind me of what I dealt with back in January and February, and all the years prior! 

Big Bill

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:06:36 AM »
I feel ready to move on !!!  After dealing with all the pain for years....it grinds on you. Now, that I had my procedure done 7/9/08, I feel great. My wife says I am a changed person and do not wear the"frown of pain". She says I look ten years younger!  The whole reason that you have the surgery is to improve your quality of life...take charge and be positive!

Big Bill, Cormet Anterior Surface Hippy   C.A.S.H.   8) 

Carrie

• Nov 2009 Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt
    • Us dancing prior
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »
After surgery I feel worried, borderline depressed, while at the same time inspired by the opportunity.

My emotional challenges come from the financial overwhelm related to my surgery. I am self-employed and a sole proprietor. My job is such that if I am not working, I am not making money. Other challenges I've faced over the past few years have sucked up any money that would have been put aside for savings. So here I am - facing six weeks off of work without income, the regular bills keep coming, and now I've created new bills from the surgery. Gratefully, I do have good insurance coverage, and I was blessed with traveling from AZ to SC to have Dr. Gross perform the procedure.

I've considered requesting anti-depressants while I recover to keep me from the downward spiral of negative thoughts and depression. But, you know what, I think I'm stronger than that. Life is how I perceive it. Maybe this recovery time is an opportunity for me to breakup my automatic way of being around money, which is gloom and doom and struggle. It's always been that way. It's a conversation I inherited from my family.

The physical healing I am not the least bit worried about. Physiology works like a machine that we don't have to think about. It's on automatic. The mind on the other hand goes this way and that. Will I control my mind, or will my mind control me?

CommuterGirl
R Biomet. Dr. Gross. 11/24/09

11/09  Dr. Gross Biomet cement-less rt.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
Hi

Luv your mousie doctor cartoon - cute.

Many people actually feel very depressed after hip resurfacing and most major surgery.  It is very diffiuclt on the body both physically and mentally.  We all feel very vulnerable when we are laid up and unable to live our lives normally.  It makes you feel out of control since we can't move around and act normally.  The anesthesia and meds take a long time to get out of our bodies and they can  cause mental depression, too.

You are not alone in your feelings.  If you add the problem of the poor economy and in your case loss of income - life can begin to really seem a bit too much for us.  It is not easy for anyone that is sitting at home waiting to recover while watching the bills pile up.

You just need to have faith - whether in God or in yourself - that things are going to turn out fine.  Things usually do for most people, it is just diffiuclt to see that far ahead with clear eyes and a happy heart.

Talk with the foks here, your friends and family.  Don't be shy.  If you feel you are sliding too far down into depression, by all means talk to your family doctor and get some anti-depressents.  If need be get some consuling or talk to a minister or priest.  Don't keep it all inside. 

On top of feeling depressed by your major surgery and lack of income - it is the holiday season which upsets some folks too.  So be careful with so many negative forces pushing against you.  Don't let yourself get too low before you talk with someone or your doctor.

Stay in touch and keep the faith - you will recover and believe it or not, a few years down the road you will hardly be able to remember these times.  The bad tends to fade while the good gets better.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bothdone

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
Hi Carrie

Thanks for opening up this thread again.   Here's my thoughts on how I felt:

*  Relieved - the operation happened.  I'm out the other side, complete with a BHR and not a THR.  When I stood up, my legs were the same length.  First big hurdles over!

*  Tired - its easy to forget how big an operation it is.    It was about the 6 month stage after my first BHR that I realised I was feeling back to "normal".

*  Worried.   You don't need me to list the post-op things which can go wrong.   I kept reminding myself to take the necessary steps to help recovery.

I suppose in your case I'd try to put the money worries in a corner and just focus on recovery.    Easy for me to say, I know, but isn't there a saying about thinking about the things you can control and letting the others take care of themselves.

Best wishes for your future.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

BHRfootballer

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Hi All,

Can anyone put into words or some kind of Time Flow chart for  progression /emotional state / health / depression - because i think i've over cooked my planned revival.

25th March pre op Admission for a Resurfacing op commonly called BHR www.birminghamhipresurfacing.com
Off work  officially till the
5th of April
Then working from home till the 19th of April then back to work.

Is this a plausible ( if that's the right word?) time frame?

Carrie

• Us dancing prior
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 09:03:33 AM »
BHRfootballer,

That sounds fast to me. But one thing I've learned about this procedure, is that everyone's recovery is a little different.

My time line went something like this (I'm sure yours will not match mine):

I took six weeks off post op. I didn't work a lick (my job is somewhat physical - massage therapy). Then at the six week mark, I eased back into working over the course of the next month. Around week 13 post op I started having pain such that I needed a cane again and was unhappy with the 'set back.' ...I don't think I did anything that was damaging or caused the set back... I had an xray and everything is fine. Just have to limit my activity and take anti-inflammatories.

My doctor (Dr. Gross) says 6 months to a year for the healing - and the ups and downs that go along with healing apparently. But mostly I'm good. After sitting I'm stiff and walk funny for a bit, but once I'm up and atom I'm good - like dancing is no problem, and my daily walks are pretty good.

I think you need to 'cook' your plan alittle longer.  ;) How 'bout you?

Carrie

obxpelican

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »
As Carrie mentioned you may want to tweak those dates by a few weeks, the first few weeks you're going to be tired, by 3 weeks you should not have much discomfort.

Mentally I never had many issues, pre-op I was always down mentally because of all the things I could not do.  Everyone is different so your mileage may vary.

Chuck

Hi All,

Can anyone put into words or some kind of Time Flow chart for  progression /emotional state / health / depression - because i think i've over cooked my planned revival.

25th March pre op Admission for a Resurfacing op commonly called BHR www.birminghamhipresurfacing.com
Off work  officially till the
5th of April
Then working from home till the 19th of April then back to work.

Is this a plausible ( if that's the right word?) time frame?
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

BHRfootballer

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »
Hi All,

Ok a "T week" ( pardon the pun)  here and there and you think i'll be good to go?

I'm a bit confused now as all of you have had the Op and will know better than most , My surgeon is the only person i've spoken to regarding my recovery time...... my Boss has been great about the whole Op /time off issue and is supporting me 100%, I've explained my surgeons prognosis regarding recovery time to my boss and he's fine with the Time Line expressed by Dr Cohen. I'm concerned now how the Boss/ Employee relationship will fare if i'm off work more than is expected, he is running a business after all and yes i'm an integral part of that business but ...i suppose i should inform him it's more likely to be a few more weeks absence ( although i intend to work from home)

There's one lady in here who is either just going into hospital or has just been admitted and all i'm thinking about is how is she coping now? what's going through her mind now? who's with her? is she ok? what emotional state is she in? it's daft i know but since reading a lot of your posts it's heart rendering some of the stories i.e the lady in Japan who's still in pain 7 weeks post Op - no money / no emotional back up / no family support!!!! i have tears streaming down my face because all i see is that's me.

Don't get me wrong i do have my lovely Lisa to fall on literally( Lol ) see i'm still laughing, but tears of fear sting my not so youthful face....i've never been a burden to ANYONE i'm always the first to help when someone's in need but not the best patient, Lisa i fear will need to be strong to put up with me for 6-8 weeks going by your predictions of recovery.

MY Heart goes out to you all with best wishes. Get well soon to those who have had the op recently.
xxx   

obxpelican

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »
You will just have to stop dwelling on the negatives, most of the people with positive outcomes have moved on and do not post here anymore, 2 of my friends have pretty much moved on and are doing well, I'm one of the longer posters and I got my done Aug 08.

In anything you do you can have a bad outcome, you could walk out of your house today and end up slipping and falling and breaking your neck.

Read more of the positive outcomes, stop reading the bad ones.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

BHRfootballer

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 06:47:48 PM »
 :) Inspiring Obxpelican- Thanks  ;)

Carrie

• Us dancing prior
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »
A good provider has to be good at being provided for once in awhile, BHRfootballer.

The worries of 'what if' that are before the op are for more a created problem than what you will actually face post op. That is to say, I was a stressed case pre-op, but as soon as they gave me that medicine that put me out for the op, it's been nothing but increasingly better since!

My guy was an angel taking care of me and I let him. I've never been a burden to anyone either, but I learned that part of generosity is also receiving generously. I surrendered to the love and care of my caretaker. And what pre-op looked like was going to be the worst 6 weeks of my life turned out to be the B.E.S.T 6 weeks of my life - I kid you not.

Surrender, BHRfootballer. Love and be thankful for what is ahead of you.

Sassy,
Carrie

littleb

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 04:46:08 PM »
I'm posting here even though no one has in quite a bit. I'm 10 days post op and have a bit of the blues today.

My surgery with Dr. Su at HSS went very well and I was thrilled that I woke to the resurfacing and had not ended up with the THR that was a possibility going in. Yes it hurt but for the first time in years not inside the joint. I actually pushed the PT folks for the couple of extra feet down the hallway each time they came.

Coming home was a bit stressful. My middle daughter is getting married in 5 weeks so It really was a squeeze on their time to drive down from upstate, pick me up at HSS, then drive me to my youngest daughter's house on the Island. She actually asked a few weeks before if I could put the surgery off till after the wedding then immediately felt guilty for asking. These are exactly the reasons I hate being dependent on others, even family. I don't like either of us feeling bad.

Staying at my youngest daughter's house really has been good so far. My 3 year old grandson is here to keep me going with reading and cuddling and my daughter and her husband have a good sense of humor about most of my being here, including taking over my son in law's side of the bed for now. My grandson's babysitter on the two days that both of them work at the same time is also my babysitter, lol.

So why am I down? Well, my case is a worker's comp case and so far I haven't had the home nurse/PT I'm supposed to have yet, hopefully this week. I'm pretty mobile, but unsure when to push it a bit more or stop. I cannot help thinking about things that can go wrong so when I have increased pain or one cold foot I worry. It's not drama I'm creating, but being unsure nags at me. Did I really lose a week by not having PT or is that okay since there are some doctor's that don't prescribe it till much later? This site has been helpful it getting an idea of some of the experiences and putting them into context for me. I don't want to worry my daughter with her having to practically dress me and help bathe me. I also don't want to have to stay with her more than the 2 weeks we initially expected. I think I need to have to be a lot further along than this before I can go home alone. Hmmm... and a sigh.

Thanks for letting me vent.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

emichel

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
Hi littleb -- First, I'm sure others can be more helpful to you in some ways because I haven't had the surgery yet, but I wanted to offer my support anyway.  I am still in the contemplation/research phase, but will probably go through with one side HR in January.  From what I can see from reading this site, most people have really positive results, but still, it is nervewracking!  Obviously how we handle going through something like this depends somewhat on individual temperment, personality, and mental outlook, in addition to objective results, but even the most positive and well balanced person is going to have some worries and anxieties.  Jeesh.

Here's one way to look at your situation.  You are at 10 days, which is probably about the hardest part!  You're on the upswing, and you obviously have people who love you!  It is understandable that you have issues w/dependence vs. independence in this situation (I'm a therapist/counselor type person, so please bear with me), but it's actually a good opportunity to look at some of these dynamics with family members that you may not have had to before.  As a single person who lives alone, I will be entirely relying on help from friends and professional supports, so that brings another whole set of problems.  It's hard not to stew and worry about any little thing that might be wrong, but you sound like a conscientious person, and I'm sure that if anything goes really wrong (not likely), you will know, and call your doctor.  Otherwise, I hope you can relax, enjoy cuddling with your grandson, and take some time to heal.  Take care...  Eileen

Luann

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 07:59:06 PM »
Hi Littleb,
 So sorry you are feeling down. I had a lot of days like that. I actually felt so depressed, dependent, and in pain, I burst into tears once or twice. I think it is normal. Just let yourself go through it, but then realize that it all gets better. What helped me is to read the posts on this website about the people who were healing well and out enjoying life again. I am now one of those people. It is better than I ever thought it could be. Just keep focused on that (and I'm only 3 + months out).
 I do think PT is very important, but just to make you feel better, I was perscribed NONE. I still really can't believe that they had me go through such a major surgery without it. I have great insurance, too. Not sure why, but every time I requested it, the Dr said I was doing fine and didn't need it. Anyway, like I said, I do think it is important, and by all means if you can get it, it will help I'm sure. But just to ease your mine for the time being... I just did the srtetches/exercises they showed me at the hospital (they gave me a handout with each one described) the best I could, walked as far as I could (even with walker/crutches) and rode a stationary, recumbant bike a little each day. Just let your body tell you how hard you should push yourself; expect it to fell a little sore and uncomfortable, but not super painful. I used a "spotter" for some of the more difficult exercises, someone to help me lift my leg a little, etc. I walked until I felt like I was favoring the HR'd leg too drastically, then I knew it was time to rest.
Sometimes my husband would say, "You didn't walk today as far as you did yesterday", and I would just tell him that my leg said that it was far enough. So, I never got any PT help (except for the 3 days in the hospital) and I am doing fine. In fact, fabulous!
 Here is hoping you can visualize the light at the end of the tunnel, feel better, and know you can do your own PT if you must, and still come out OK. I do hope, however, that they work things out for you, and you get to have some professional PT soon. Don't feel guilty about your family helping you, either. Something tells me you have most likely helped them out in their lives just a time or two??  :D
 Sincerely, Luann

F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

resurface

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:34 AM »
Good moring Littleb

First, smile!  You made the decision and now make it a great one.  Like many others before you... you will have a great outcome.  Just takes time.  You mentioned that you did not have your in home PT.  I have had personal PT since day one, and I am now 4 months out. 

I detailed it on the site under stories "New Hip on May 6th (2010)" the exercises that I was prescribed. 

You'll do great...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal