+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: May 8 Surgery  (Read 6459 times)

soon2Bhip

May 8 Surgery
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
John,

I hope your surgery went well!  Tomorrow, May 8th is my big day for a RBHR with Dr. Schmitt at Huron Valley Hospital.  I'm a little nervous but looking forward to being more active again, as I'm sure all of us are.  I biked 25 miles a couple days ago knowing that it was probably my last decent bike ride for awhile.  I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories.  You are all an inspiration for me!  I was in a serious car accident 32 years ago, at the age of 16.  It was one of those life-changing moments.  Not knowing that I had cartilage damage to my hip, I continued on with my running, biking, swimming, racquetball, you name it, while the pain in my hip and low back got worse.  This website has given me the knowledge I needed to make the decision to have a BHR.  I have also learned so much by reading what to expect after surgery.  I think I'll fall somewhere in the middle as far as recovery goes.  I know I won't run a marathon in 6 months but maybe a 5K?  I would be so grateful for that!  I'm a little nervous about the allergic reaction possibilities and the metal ion issue but I believe the pros outweigh the cons.  Pat, thank you so much for creating this amazing, informative website!
Cathy
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:00:59 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: May 8 Surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:02:44 PM »
Hi Cathy

Good Luck on your surgery tomorrow.  I gave you your own topic since you are about to embark on a life changing adventure.

I hope all goes well for you.  Keep in touch when you get home.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

soon2Bhip

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:02:45 AM »
Hi Pat,

So far so good!  The first 48 hours were tough but they are behind me now.  I feel a little better every hour.  It is so odd to be able to sleep on my back.  I haven't been able to do that in year.  I believe my hip resurfacing realligned my spine in the process as it is no longer pinching bone on bone.  I don't care much for the vicodin.  It puts me on edge rather than relaxing me.  I will take a tylenol PM to get to sleep tonight.  I can't say enough about all the wonderful information you have organized into one location.  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!!
Cathy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:06:26 AM »
Hi Cathy

You will feel better as time goes on.  Sometimes it is like taking a step forward and 2 back for some people, but you are always moving forward.

Some people just keep stepping forward and never go back.  It all depends on your body.

The one thing for sure is - everyone ends up in the same place eventually - that is without pain and able to do whatever they want.

Be patient and kind to yourself, you body will take care of the rest.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

J B

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Cathy, hope you are doing well, those first few days are pretty tough but I feel better almost everyday. 11 days post-op and looking forward to when this will all be over and we can get back to living, heck I even miss work a little. All the best on your recovery. John

J B

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »
Cathy,
Just wondering how you are progressing, how about an update if you are feeling like it. I am doing good and wrote a little update on my subject line, everything is on schedule. Talk to ya soon.
John

soon2Bhip

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:15:13 AM »
Hi John,

I'm a bit delinquent in writing an update.  Funny thing is, your update could have been written by me!  Very similar -- including the Red Wings!  We have tickets to Monday nights game in Detroit but, I don't think I will be up for the 3 hour drive and all the stairs and sitting and the long ride home.  Lots of people in line for my ticket though, so it won't go to waste.  Go Red Wings!!!

I still get up a couple times in the night with pain and have a hard time finding that comfortable position.  Like you, they also gave me a prescription for ambien after 3 sleepless nights, but I only took about 1/3 of it each night for the next 3 nights and then stopped.  That's was a huge help!

Compared to my ACL surgery 2 years ago (soccer injury), this has been more difficult.  Everyday I get a little better though. PT comes to my house 3 times/week. As soon as I'm able to drive, I will go to a local PT place.  Having someone help with stretching and moving my leg laterally and challenging me to raise my leg to the next stair riser,and all the other numerous exercises has increased my strength & mobilty.  I started using one crutch a week ago and am using a cane intermittently now.

My 2 week post-op was May 22 and he said everything looked great.  I'd like to attempt using my elliptical this week.  I can hardly wait to get on my bike and get back into my exercise routine.

I hope you continue to make a speedy recovery so you can get back to doing the things that bring you happiness. We are lucky to live in a day and age where we have this type of medical option to improve our quality of life.

Thanks again to Pat for creating and maintaining this 5-star website.
Cathy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »
Hi Cathy

Glad you are feeling better.  The better you feel, the more active you get and the sooner you forget about talking to others on Hip Talk.

We will excuse you from posting very much since you are getting better. 

People do, however, like to hear your stories and how you are recovering.  It helps the new people.

Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Clarkefan

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 04:40:37 PM »
Then a few words from someone at the 2-month mark might be in order. I returned from an hour workout at the gym today and felt great. I was up to doing 20 minutes on the stepper and 10 on the eliptical. I then was able to mow the lawn (well, most of it). I also managed to go to the amusement park with the family yesterday, and walked for about 6 hours. (My pedometer has me at 22 miles since noon on Friday.)

While at the gym I also started working out on the heavy bag, doing some martial arts forms, and stretching to regain my flexibility.

Sleeping is the only discomfort for me, and that is only minor. I still use a pillow between the knees, but can manage without one.

I still can't wait for the next check up to get the "all clear" for everything except impact sports (wait until the 6-month mark for that).

The first 2-3 weeks, time seemed to crawl. But it will go by quickly, and you'll all soon be back to doing what you enjoy.

soon2Bhip

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 07:02:33 PM »
Thanks for your 2 month update!  I needed to hear that!  Your note is very encouraging!  I did manage to spend 15 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  My husband helped me get on and off, just to be safe.  Once I was going, it was no problem.  Looking forward to hitting the trails as soon as possible.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear