+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vicky Marlow has been ill  (Read 16161 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Vicky Marlow has been ill
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:11:01 PM »
I would like to send my prayers and thoughts out to Vicky Marlow.  She has been very ill with a virus and hospitalized.  I don't have all the info and I don't want anyone to bother her - but we should all keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

Vicky has helped a lot of people, both personally and thru the internet, and has helped keep the positive story about hip resurfacing alive and well.

If I find out more, I will share.

Right now I would just like everyone to keep Vicky in their thoughts and prayers.

Pat
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:55:02 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

Re: Vicky Marlow has been ill
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
Vicky is in my prayers
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
Thanks for letting us know Pat, many of us have had some interesting conversations with her but in the end Vicky has helped many people.

I will keep her in my prayers for sure.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

DirkV

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:05:55 AM »
Thanks for the notification, Pat.
I have much respect for Vicki, and she and you have influenced many lives for the better. Prayers for a quick and thorough recovery.
-Dirk
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »
Vicky is still very ill and not doing well.  She had the novovirus.  She had been to the doctor several times, then collapsed at her home.  She has been in the hospital since Wednesday.  Her sister Teri said she is not getting better in spite of the great care at the hospital.

Please continue to keep Vicky in your prayers.  I know she needs all the suppport she can get.

Please don't try to email, text or call her.  She is not able to use the computer or phone now. Hopefully, she will be talking to us soon.

She has helped so many people.  Now she needs your thoughts and prayers.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »
Vicky is still in my prayers! I hope she makes a swift and full recovery!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »
Definitely keeping her in my thoughts.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Miguelito

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »
I just said a prayer for her, hoping that she gets well soon.
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »
Vicky is not getting better.  Her daughter posted on Facebook last night:

Carisa Sherwood It's not looking good. She's the same with no response.

6 hours ago via mobile · Like

Her daughter posted this previously:

Carisa Sherwood Update: she took a turn for the worse again Saturday night and has not gotten better. She is currently not responding. She has encephalopathy, no seizures or anything else. The prognosis from here is completely unknown and just varies from individual to individual. We hope we see signs of progress this week.
January 21 at 10:53pm via mobile

Her sister posted this:

Teri Weinstein-Moh Hi Patricia Thanks for your concern. Vicky has been in the hospital for a week now and not getting any better, in fact her condition has gotten worse. We are all very concerned. She is not responsive and cannot talk or barely move. We are praying that she pulls through. She can open her eyes but has no expression. It is very hard to. See her like this. My big sister Tuesday at 1:23am via mobile

Vicky has helped so many that I feel people should be updated with her condition.  The only thing we can do is to keep her in our prayers.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fenceman

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
I will continue to pray for her.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »
I'm keeping her in my thoughts.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Send Vicky a card by mail
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »
People asked if they could send a card to Vicky so her family could read it to her.  I asked her sister Carisa if that was possible, she said yes.

I won't post her address here since the public can read all messages, but if anyone in the group  wants her address they can email me. 

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Jon

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »
Pat:

Thank you for the thread on Vicky's health and your particular posts as well. 

I will email you under separate cover for her address as I would like to send a card.

Similar to the spirit of Surfacehippy.info itself and seemingly the spirit of so many Hipsters, in general, Vicky was a primary and motivating factor in my introduction to and ultimate surgery with Derek McMinn.  Without Vicky's caring involvement, I may have never made the connection with Derek and gone on to have my truly life-improving surgery.

Thoughts and prayers for Vicky...

And thanks to helpful hippies all over the world...!

Jon

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:33:05 PM by Jon »
McMinn RBHR, December 2011

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
Prayers sent. She helped me out big time. Sorry to hear this

Tin Soldier

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
Geez, I had no idea she was in that condition, until I cought up on this thread.  Sorry to hear this and I sure hope she gets better.  As Jon pointed out and I'm sure many of us know this, but Vicky has done tons for the hip resurfacing community from her website, to doctor interviews, to gatherings in Oakland with people looking into HR, to being an advocate for folks looking for help in getting HR.

Hoping for her speedy recovery.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 07:51:16 PM »
My prayers and best wishes go out to her and her family. Is it the norovirus or the flu?
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

Marco Polo

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
 Sadly the following was just posted on Vicky's website by her brother:

Be prepared for tears.....

Hi Debbie,

I just returned from visiting Vicky in the hospital. I know a lot of folks out there are concerned and would like news about her condition. Since you received the forwarded email from my sister Teri, you have the family side of things.
I'm sure Vicky would really appreciate it if someone would step in and take over the work she was doing in spreading the word about alternatives to hip replacement surgery. Vicky's daughter, Carisa Sherwood, would like to contact anyone who is a contributor to the site and might be interested in continuing the work of her foundation. If you would be so kind as to pass the contact information to me, I will be happy to forward it to Carisa.
Here then is the official word on Vicky's condition which you may post on her website:
Over the past few weeks, Vicky was battling a noro virus infection. She was suffering from dehydration and was unable to keep food down. Vicky has been on a number of prescription medications, some of which was for relief from anxiety as well as to combat periodic insomnia. I know she was quite weak and was drinking distilled water, not knowing that distilled water has no electrolytes and was stripping her body of what little in the way of potassium and sodium she had left. She was very weak and was experiencing difficulty sleeping.
Sometime during the day on Saturday the 12th of January, Vicky took some NyQuil, probably to help her sleep and to mitigate some of the aches and pain of the viral infection. What she didn't know at the time is that the small amount of alcohol in NyQuil in combination with the medications she was taking created a catastrophic event. At some point after taking the NyQuil, Vicky passed out.
Her kids discovered her Monday morning after repeated phone calls to her were not returned. Vicky was rushed to the hospital where immediate steps were taken to stabilize her condition. Her electrolytes were depleted, her body temperature was dangerously low and she had trouble breathing. A few days later, Vicky opened her eyes, and though extremely weak, she was able to respond to some questioning. She seemed to recover when a number of family members were present. She was able to tell her kids she loved them and shed some tears. She even requested that some food be brought to her.
Apparently, that was the last time Vicky was conscious. After numerous tests, MRIs, EEGs, the medical staff determined that Vicky suffered hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy. In essence, the combination of the alcohol in the NyQuil with her other meds, triggered an adverse reaction in her brain that cut off the supply of oxygen. Her brain was dying at the time she expressed her love for her family and she never recovered. For the past week, we have closely monitored her condition. There has been no cognitive response, though she is able to open her eyes, breathe, cough and do a number of involuntary responses. The part of her brain that controls all the voluntary activity has ceased to function.
She is in a vegetative state and from all the research the family has been doing, it is unlikely that she will recover.
Of all the possible outcomes, this is probably the worst. The family is devastated and we are working through all the complicated considerations regarding her ongoing care.
I appreciate all the prayers and well wishes from her many friends and acquaintances. Her crusade to spread the word about alternatives to hip replacement was her all consuming passion in life.
On behalf of her family, I would like to thank all of you for your kind words and outpouring of support. I truly hope someone will be able to continue the work Vicky started. For those of you who have been touched personally by Vicky's efforts I would urge you to do what Vicky was striving to do and in the words of Vicky, "Pay it forward!".
God bless!
Mark Marlow
Vicky's brother
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Jon

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »
This is just awful.

Vicky selflessly came to my aid a little over a year ago.  She helped me plot a course to get my health back, and to subsequently enjoy my life and young family.

She asked for nothing in return.

I hope to speak to her family...

Jon

McMinn RBHR, December 2011

Arrojo

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Awful news.  Poor Vicky.  How precious life is.   :(
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 01:31:31 AM »
Vicky is still in my prayer's my thoughts are with Vicky and her family.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat