+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: still sore after 4 months  (Read 3829 times)

Timbo

still sore after 4 months
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »

I am writing as I have had a Birmington hip resurfacing procedure done in early Jan -08. Almost exactly 4 months ago. Although my arthritis pain is completely gone, which is great, I am still feeling pain and stiffness in my hip area, around the surgical area, that is sometimes mild, sometimes not mild, and sometimes, although not long, not there. Also, my pain seems to move around  from my hip to my butt to down to my upper leg. I am completely fine when sitting or lying down. 

I have spoken to other people who have had a conventional hip replacement and have had some of them tell me it took about a year for all of the pain to disappear. The few people I have met that have had the hip resurfacing do not recall this length of time for all of the discomfort to disappear.

I am curious if anyone may have had this situation 4 months later. I do the exercises prescribed and do not really stress out my leg in any way other than normal activities of the day. I can walk normally but I get sore. I do water walking for 15-30 minutes but that actually makes my hip area more sore than normal walking of about a mile.  I do not mind this current condition if it eventually does go away, but when I hear stories of the short period of recovery time regarding the hip resurfacing method, from articles and from people that have also have had this procedure, I am now getting a bit concerned. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any suggestions?

marathonhippo

Re: still sore after 4 months
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
Timbo,

I'm only a little over 3 months out on one hip, and about 9 weeks on the other.  I'm experiencing pretty much the same as you, and when I talked to my surgeon yesterday, he told me to expect it to take a year or more to feel normal.  Before I had the surgeries, I talked to a different orthopedic surgeon that was trying to talk me into a standard THR because his experience with patients that had resurfacing was that it took them longer to heal than his THR patients.  My opinion is that it simply depends on the person, and everone heals at a different rate.  Several months ago, I remember seeing a video online where Dr. Gupta (he's a medical advisor for a major network) was playing racquetball with a guy who said it took him 7-8 weeks to get back on the court (here's the link: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/09/eveningnews/main3349954.shtml), and I remember thinking how great it will be to get active after only two months!  Well, like you I found that even walking normal at two months was a bit of a task, and I've finally figured out that it's probably going to be a while before my hips feel "normal", like they did before the arthritis.  My doctor has cleared me to be as active as the pain will allow, and right now, that's not much.  I do try to walk a mile every other day, I take the stairs instead of the elevator at the office, and I do a little on the weight machine with upper-body excercises, but I never break the 90 degree rule, and I don't do anything that causes an impact on the hips at all.  I figure this year is an investment in the future, and by this time next year, we should both be running marathons...(at least figuratively  :D)

Best of luck on your recovery, and keep us posted.

Alan
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »
Hi Timbo

Everyone recovers at their own rate.  No matter how hard you want to will yourself a quick recovery, only your body controls how quickly it will heal.

Many people have lingering muscle pain and stiffness.  Many don't.  I guess it is just the luck of the draw.  I do have a page with a lot of suggestions from people with groin pain and muscle problems that might help you
http://www.surfacehippy.info/groinpain.php

Here is another collection of emails about peoples slow recoveries
http://www.surfacehippy.info/slowrecovery.php

It helps to know you are not the only one.

Good LUck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »
I had my surgery on 1/22/08.  I'm right at 4 months.  I still feel something going on in my hip area.  Some days I hardly notice anything, other days, like today, I feel more.  That's probably because I worked out in the garden yesterday.  I moved around some bags of dirt & compost, so I'm guessing my hip is letting me know about it today.  I feel it in different areas, too.  I will be seeing my ortho. surg. this Wed. for a check up.  My husband and I are leaving on our motorcycle trip out west on May 31st, so I'm hoping the doctor gives me the ok to go!  Most of the time Tylenol and Advil will help with the discomfort.  I'm hoping that I can handle sitting on the bike with both of my legs slightly out to the side for long periods of time.  I went for a ride a couple of weeks ago and the first 15 minutes my hip was tight and I felt discomfort, but then it must have stretched out and then it felt ok.  When I do flex my leg out when sitting, I can still feel a "strange sensation" where my side and rear-end meet (if that makes any sense).  I'm guessing that is muscle still healing. 

Elaine Y.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 04:01:51 PM »
I, too, had my surgery on 1/22/08 (Hi Marni).... I would say the most discomfort I have is when I'm sitting riding in a car or sitting at my desk for too long. My husband said I still get up looking like I'm in pain. I'm not in pain, but I am stiff and after taking a few steps, it is all fine. I am back to walking 3 miles every day, although not as fast as I used to. But, I know I will get the speed back. I still do some of the exercises, especially the stretching, the quad strengthening and glute strengthening. These muscles are still healing, I know, and are getting stronger everyday. I don't have pain, but stiffness is my enemy, as I still can't get down to tie my shoe the right way; meaning, I have to stretch my leg out straight and then stretch down to tie my shoe while my leg is straight. This, too, will come with time, and I think it will happen and I won't even realize it and one day I'll say... wow, I can tie my shoe now!!

Like everyone says.. give yourself time. You will get back to yourself soon. And, like someone else said, this is the year of investment for a good long while of not having pain... Good Luck

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- Dr. Eugene Lopez, 1/22/08

john

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »
I agree with everyone else. It takes time and some heal faster than others. It's my understanding that, despite some of the amazing recovery stories on this website, it takes most people about a year to completely heal from BHR and that we usually heal more slowly than the THR folks. I had my right hip done on 12/16/08 and just had my left done two weeks ago. Up until the recent surgery I was back to working out on the elliptical and only limited by the pain in the left hip. However, I did always feel stiff and sore on the right side  when I sat for long periods of time at work. The best thing about getting the second hip done is that the incision and muscle pain from the surgery keep me from noticing anything on the right side anymore. I'm just glad I don't have four hips.

lisae

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »
I agree with everyone else. It takes time and some heal faster than others. It's my understanding that, despite some of the amazing recovery stories on this website, it takes most people about a year to completely heal from BHR and that we usually heal more slowly than the THR folks. I had my right hip done on 12/16/08 and just had my left done two weeks ago. Up until the recent surgery I was back to working out on the elliptical and only limited by the pain in the left hip. However, I did always feel stiff and sore on the right side  when I sat for long periods of time at work. The best thing about getting the second hip done is that the incision and muscle pain from the surgery keep me from noticing anything on the right side anymore. I'm just glad I don't have four hips.

Okay, I am curious.  Why does it take longer for someone to heal after a resurfacing versus a THR? 

I had a THR on 4/2/08 (resurfacing was not an option for me) and seem to be recovering pretty quickly.    Although my incision bothers me a bit as it is still somewhat swollen, my hip feels good and my strength and flexibilty are improving rapidly.

xocy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
The OS has to work in a smaller space since he does not remove the femoral neck. To do this there is usually more "collateral damage". Usually, the more experience an OS has with resurfacing the less damage there is. Watch Dr. Gross' video on this website. He explains that he encourages the less experienced OS to make a bigger cut.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

lisae

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:18:37 PM »
The OS has to work in a smaller space since he does not remove the femoral neck. To do this there is usually more "collateral damage". Usually, the more experience an OS has with resurfacing the less damage there is. Watch Dr. Gross' video on this website. He explains that he encourages the less experienced OS to make a bigger cut.

Thanks for the explanation.   I'll watch Dr. Gross's video. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat