+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hawaii at 10-12 weeks?  (Read 1324 times)

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
Hawaii at 10-12 weeks?
« on: January 19, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »
We're thinking about planning a family vacation to Hawaii in August. This would be 10-12 weeks after my second HR on 5/20 (I'll be getting the other hip done on 4/1). How would you expect me to be doing by then? Do you think I'd be in pain? Would I be able to go hiking or would I still taking it easy (I'm 38 years old and in pretty good shape now).

Thanks!
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

hernanu

Re: Hawaii at 10-12 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
I'd talk to your surgeon about any advice, but personally I'd think you could go. By three months I was taking some longer (4-6 hour) trips driving.

You'll still need to take care with things and if you're on a long plane trip (mine are usually about 12 hours from Boston to Hawaii), you'd need to get up and walk around, maybe ice on the way.

As far as hiking and other activities, you want to be careful. I hiked some well tended areas like the Waimea canyon, they had fairly flat or gradual rises, so should be ok. Some that would require stepping over or climbing rocks I would avoid, since the last thing you want is a fall or a slip at 3 months.

Other things, like Hanauma bay for snokeling, etc. as long as you avoid walking the coral should be good. Other things like just walking and the beach in areas without a high surf I would think would be fine.

But most of all, talk it over with the surgeon and plan on icing and resting. No good comes from pushing too hard, the family can go on their own while you sit on the beach, good sunshine and drink in hand, enjoying the hip.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »
As always, Hernanu has nailed the good advice.
From my own experience, I went back to our home in Hawaii at around six weeks and started a remodeling project (with lots of help), and based on that and my surgeons advice, here are some thoughts:
Many of the hiking trails in the rain forest go over slippery rocks, so I would avoid those. I would also plan on avoiding swimming in any of the nice pools at the base of the numerous waterfalls, since these always involve going in over jagged slippery rocks. There are many nice flat prepared trails if you seek them out, most going through gorgeous scenery. Walking on the beach is great exercise, especially in soft sand which will wear you out fairly quickly.  I am normally involved in ocean surf and wind sports all day, but my surgeon would not allow any of those. Swimming and snorkeling are great, as long as you are going in along a nice sandy beach with no surf; definitely no rocky entries. Scenic drives are fine, as long as you get out often to walk around and enjoy the scenery, which will be more fun anyway. One last thought, if you have any open cuts or wounds, stay away from the ocean, and be careful even around the beaches. Staph is very common in the ocean, and even in the sand along the shore, and any open wounds exposed to that environment often get infected. You are too early in your healing to risk an infection.
If you don't mind your trip being slightly toned down, I would go for it.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:32:04 PM »
I echo the advice to avoid any activities that would put you in a situation that could risk the hip. 
Parasailing, hiking on slippery rocks or rough terrain, fast hula dancing ;D

That said, I would wait (if possible) until further along in your healing if you want to be very active on the trip.  You would hate to miss out on such a beautiful area because you are limited in your mobility. 

At 4 months out on my right hip, and after an 11 hour drive, I visited Disneyworld for 6 days.   I was on my feet for over 12 hours each day. I actually lasted longer than my 17 yo daughter. I rode all the roller coasters and enjoyed the sights, food and shows.  The hip did great, but my feet and lower legs ached at night!  I took some of my left over pain meds to help me sleep.

I am 7 weeks out on my left hip.  What caught me off guard this time was the fact that my right hip has become very sore in the recovery of the left hip.  I had no symptoms in my right hip other than some ROM limitations that I was working on.  I am getting stronger very day, but cannot imagine taking a trip of that magnitude in just 3 weeks from now.

Since you are getting both hips done within 8 weeks of each other, you may or may not experience soreness at 10 weeks after the second hip.  Everyone is different.  Every hip is different. 

You will probably be ok, but if you are flexible in your dates, I would push it back a couple months. Hawaii is so wonderful. 

My humble opinion.
Dee

Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

stephen1254

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:57:55 AM »
I went at 4.5 weeks - you will be fine
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice! We've decided to go, but I'll definitely be cautious and not push to do too much. Worst case it will still be a great vacation relaxing on the beach with family  :)
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

fenceman

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »
Funny that you ask this because I was going to take the family to Hawaii until I scheduled my BHR.  It would have been 14 weeks and a long trip for us.  I decided to wait until next year so that i would be able to do all the things I would like to do(bike, hike, snorkel, try surfing, ect).  Instead we are going to Disney at 14 week where the main sport is walking, standing in line and eating. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:03:15 PM »
These are my favorite questions.  Sitting here here in my cube with a dark cold fog that's been here for the last 2 weeks and then we get talk about Hawaii!   I'd go, Lots of things have healed up by then, generally.  Although, and myabe somebody pointed this out, take it easy on your femoral neck.  This is a time when the bone is still healing and it's also a time when folks really want to ramp up the exercise.  Sitting on a warm sunny beach with some swimming here and there is all I'd need anyway.

Have fun!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat