+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's finally time..  (Read 3818 times)

NC Hugz

It's finally time..
« on: January 24, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
Well just to a quick narrative on things for me I'm 3.5 years out from a repair to my labrum on my right hip.   
Probably waited about 6 years to long to have it fixed   :P as I didn't realize what was wrong. Upon having the surgery I learned that 90% of the cartilage was already gone and a sizable bone spur removed. About 8 weeks ago I learned that things got way worse  as cartiledge is gone, large bone spur is back and the doctor was recommending a THR (does a lot of THR's, but doesn't do BHR nor anyone else at their facility.) . Considering I'm only 45 I was shocked and discussed with my PCP. On his advise I recently went to another facility in the area to find out if resurfacing was an option. Which in the back of my head I had always thought was an option. Much to my pleasure I found out that I'm an excellent candidate for the BHR.  In a little over 4 weeks, Dr Jinnah will be performing the surgery and he was shocked by the X-ray actually being mine as the hip is pretty ate up with OA. Told him about the site as I actually visited here before going see them and told him he needed to contact Pat to update his information. He told me he is well over the 2000 mark of performing BHRs now so his stats are way off. Looking forward to moving over the next hurdle as I can't remember the last time without hip pain as its been more than 8 years for sure. I know over the next few weeks I will have a few questions for sure.
Think the biggest issue for me will be sleeping as I'm a side sleeper.

curt

• Runner with the cruddy cartilage
Re: It's finally time..
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
Good luck with the process.  Lots of help here on ANY topic.  Haven't found a shy person yet.

Curt
51 yr, RHBiomet, Dr. Gross, 9/30/11
happy, hopeful, hip-full

hoyt66

• Champions are measured by their ability to overcom
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »
Good luck. I'm about 4 months p.o. and loving it! I sleep on my side but wasn't able to for a bit. Rest assured I've been on my side for awhile now. It goes quick. So glad I crossed tot the other side!Good luck
Right BHR Dr. Schmitt 9/11/12

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
Hi and welcome,
Hope all goes well for your surgery.  I am a side sleeper too. I just posted a photo in the gallery here of the chair that really helped me in recovery.  A full recliner is great too. But this one is cheap.
http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/gallery/?sa=view;pic=34
The anti gravity chair was and still is my friend  ;)

Keep on posting questions.  There are a lot of wonderful people who are eager to offer their encouragement and share their experience.  The messages on this sight made my surgery easier to accept and my recovery not so scary.

Dee
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:54:47 PM by Dee Dee »
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
NC Hugz

Buy yourself a recliner to sleep in. It made a huge difference for me and many others who are side sleepers.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Ross

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
Hi NC.

Your story matches many I am sure me included.  I got sucked into hip arthroscopy and it was the worse thing that I ever went through.  There are only about 4 people in the USA that are qualified to say yes it will work or no your wasting your time.  Most will say that yes they can help.  It is all about the money and the experience.  Sorry it didn't work but I would bet 10 to 1 that if you pick a great surgeon in the end you will be happy.  I am 8 weeks postop and the majority of the pain, immobility, and over all depression fades everyday.  I chose Dr Gross after watching his videos with Pat and reading his research.  The best surgeons are listed.
Cordially,
Ross

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »
NC welcome.

You've been struggling for a very long time, the HR will be a huge relief.  The grinding bone pain is close to being gone so congrats in advance.  Sorry the road since the labrum work has been tough, like Ross mentions above, my doc said fixing that really wasn't worth it given the low probability for it resolving much.

Side sleeping wasn't possible for me for a few weeks, apply fresh ice packs before bed and put a pillow under your knees when on your back.  Recliner as Boomer suggests work for many.  Once you can entertain side sleep, use a pillow either to rest your upper leg (when on your side) on the pillow, slightly in front of the bottom leg, to keep your legs parallel or some also put the pillow between the knees to keep them parallel.  This prevents pressure on your operated hip from the leg being out of parallel/torqued etc.  For me at maybe 4 weeks I did not need the pillow.

As far as your recovery, stay iced, follow the restrictions and do the post op exercises or PT, stay ahead of the pain when necessary, and you'll get through it with flying colors.  The recovery is nothing to sneeze at for sure, but the benefits you will soon see will make it worth it.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:12:22 PM by Dan L »
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

NC Hugz

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »
curt, hoyt thanx for the encouragement.

Dee Dee thanks for the note on the chair I did see your post a few weeks back.

Boomer already have a great recliner as I try to read in it every now and then. But I think I will be spending a lot more time in very soon.

Ross I had second thoughts about the repair the first time around but had I gone to the right doctor like Dr Jinnah there's no doubt things would have been better and probably would have had a BHR back then.

Dan yeah bone on bone is a bad thing for sure. Pain before the repair was every now and then. Needless to say the pain now well I'm sure most of you already know. And I've had to have a pillow between my legs while sleeping for as long as I can remember.

Does look like I will be picking up a berg polar machine in the near future.

NC Hugz

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Which berg pad did everyone use? 
Thanks

David

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
Hey NC,
Been through it, labral and FAI surgery.  Not much help.  You will be good with the BHR.  Best to you.
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Dee Dee

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
I used the hip pad with my polar ice machine. It has two Velcro straps.
Dee

NC Hugz

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 04:28:53 PM »
I used the hip pad with my polar ice machine. It has two Velcro straps.
Dee
Thanx Dee  8)
Have to look a little harder as I hadn't seen the hip pad yet.  :P

David wish I had this a few years back when they fixed my laberal.

NC Hugz

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
Little over 2 weeks away and I'm trying to get the house setup for my return. Its not a good thing to have all the bedrooms upstairs.

Marco Polo

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
NC:

I am scheduled for surgery at the end of March.  I have a Polar Care 300 machine from arthroscopic knee surgery a few years back and found a company that sells accessories (such as the hip pad attachment) on line.  It's called DME Direct.

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Dee Dee

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 05:24:19 PM »
Nc,

My home is a tri level.  I did not have trouble using the steps.  Remember to tuck your bottom under as you use the one leg to lift you up.  I set up downstairs, but the kitchen is on the main level and bedroom is on the top level.  So I did a lot of stairs every day.  Just practice at the hospital and you will be a pro in no time. 

Keep us informed.

Dee

fenceman

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 08:58:48 AM »
The first couple of weeks I would sleep a couple of hours in bed, then move to the recliner for a couple of hours and then to the couch or back to bed with a restroom stop each time I got up. Make sure each one is ready with some pillows and a blanket close by. Be careful on the steps when you are groggy from sleep.  I am sure you will do fine.

I didn't get the Polar machine but used the old fashion ice packs.  If it would have made "snow cones" I would have insisted on having one.  :)

Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

NC Hugz

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
7 days to go.
Hard to believe its this close. Even harder to believe I waited this long to try to get things back to normal or as normal as it can be.

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »
You're all set to go then, the OA pain will be gone right away, all that will be left is the recovery and healing.

You're taking a great step for yourself; it's hard to believe, but the time between being prepared and when you're fully done will seem almost instantaneous. It was for me both times.

Good luck!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat