+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: So... I was bad  (Read 1370 times)

Mr.Box

So... I was bad
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:38:38 AM »
It's been very cold in the NJ / NY area the last two weeks. Well... a friend's local pond froze over really nice and they put together a day of ice hockey on the pond.

I put the goalie pads on and played for a while, switching out here and there with another goalie. I'm probably not going to play again till post 6 months after the surgery ( 4 1/2 months now ). I had two " scares ", I went down to block a shot and the puck got deflected higher. I reached up to catch the shot and shifted my center of gravity. My legs folded under me and I fell backwards with my rear touching my feet for a second. I did a quick internal / external diagnostic and all was fine. I also went side to side and landed hard on my knee which jarred my hip slightly.

I was amazed at the marked improvement over the last few years of playing with confidence in my hips and flexibility. I was able to get so much lower in my crouch than before and felt that there is so much ability left to explore. I'm slightly sore at the moment, but so so happy!

Bilateral BHR with Dr. Su 9/14/12

13.1man

Re: So... I was bad
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »
Hi Bad Boy
My......you have been bad. Come on, whereas i can sympathise with your need to get involved,  but HOCKEY ??? Competitive  Knitting, Championship Origami and Cutting-edge Scrapbooking may be more suitable ?
Honestly though......don't make it end in tears. I have still got all of this in front of me......and I  KNOW I'll be bad.....or at least think about it.....;-)
Take care
Bo

PattyM

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
Mr. Box,
Doesn't sound to bad, probably not the best idea! I  am at 5 mos and
I have to watch myself too. Yesterday i rescued my cat from an evergreen
about 2 stories up ( I climbed the tree while I waited for the latter to come).
Today I ran quite a ways to get something I forgot at the gym. I didn't even realize I
was running until somebody told me to slow down!
Yikes.
It's awesome  to feel alive again.

Right BHR Della Valle 8/20/12
Left  BHR Della Valle 3/18/13

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
On 13's theme, you could take up yoyo?  My teenage boys are way into it, planning on going to the regionals in Seattle in a few weeks, as spectators.  Although, one of the boys nailed his his brow with his aluminum yoyo, split it right open, probably a liitle more dangerous than the competitive knitting.  I try to look cool with my yoyo (One Drop 54 mm), not very good, its about the exact size of my acetabular cup, though.  Cool, huh?

Anyway, at 5 months I went downhill skiing, and all was fine other than I got the squeak at the end of the day.  I suppose I could have had an accident and busted things up, but that didn't happen.  I think it's ok if you moderate.  I have heard of surgeons give the "all clear" at 6 months and there are others who are adamant about waiting the full year before any running, impact, or hard-hitting types of activities are done.  Best to probably do what your particular surgeon says. 

Now I want to play hockey.

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat