+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Full body massage  (Read 1761 times)

janat

Full body massage
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:59:03 PM »
Hi,

I understand that massage is a great idea for recovery, but did any of you have a masseuse massage you within two weeks after the surgery?  Mine thinks it is a great idea, but I am cautious. How did you feel about someone massaging around your wound? I would feel strange.  Any thoughts?

hernanu

Re: Full body massage
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:26:04 AM »
Hi Jana,

I didn't have my masseuse do a massage that early. The home physical therapist and the visiting nurse did some light massage around (not anywhere near or on) the incision within a week or so for a couple of weeks. 

Once the incision healed and the at home work was done, the outpatient physical therapist did massage (again very lightly) around the incision to work out any scar tissue that may have been building up.

By the time three months went by and I was out of all physical therapy was the first time I went to the masseuse. I gave strict instructions of no limb moving, manipulations, etc. of my legs (either one), since I did not want to have any issues with the bone annealing to the device. No moving the leg or bending at the knee, at the hip, nothing...

All I wanted was a muscular massage (the arms she could do whatever she wanted with). It was great.

So my advice would be to wait until you are past the point where the incision is an issue at all, and even then, let health professionals handle massage.

I love my masseuse and think the world of her, but she is not trained in this, so I waited the three months and then only muscular work. Let your body tell you what it's comfortable with afterwards, and keep tight control.

At one year, once all restrictions were lifted from me, I lifted them from my masseuse.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
I'm with Hern on this.  I think you need to be cautious about the hip and leg until after the 6 week posterier restrictions are up.  I also had some light scar tissue-oriented massage from the PT at about 3 weeks, but there wasn't much manipulation of other muscle. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

mslendzion

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »
I scheduled a massage after 4 weeks and only had them work waist up.  I was a little worried when I got ready for the massage not knowing if I'd be able to lay on my stomach for an hour.  In PT, they did start to massage my scar, this too was at the 4 week point.
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

janat

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  Very much appreciated.  I just know that I won't be comfortable with my (fabulous and long time) massage therapist touching that area for some time..I wanted to know if it significantly helped the recovery time and it doesn't sound like it would.  The PT will help with massage around the incision and that works for me.

Jana

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:16:13 AM »
Wait till your doc clears it. Mine was around 6 weeks then I started deep tissue etc and my god that's emotional but works great! You really have to break up that scar tissue!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

mslendzion

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 04:21:28 PM »
I agree with Danny.  As I recall it was really painful to have my scar massaged.  You will want to continue to work your scar to break up the tissue (I'm still doing so one year later).  I had an anterior approach and my surgeon recommened using a tennis ball on the scar. 
Left BHR 1/9/12 Dr. Schmitt

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
I'm glad you found a good one, Skip. The talent and dedication does vary. I lucked out in finding a therapist that is also a registered nurse, so we can actually talk about the different muscles and she knows what to do and where to go.

The key is finding a good one and keeping him / her.

I've had my share of bad ones, the worst being a really tiny woman who majored in deep tissue massage and actually got on top of the table and was using knees and elbows. I was more bruised from that than from sparring sessions. I tapped out almost immediately but was unable to restrain her enthusiasm. Still in psychological therapy over that  ::)
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat