+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ice  (Read 1398 times)

Ross

Ice
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
When did you all stop using ice?  I stopped at week 6 to 7.  I think that it was a mistake.  My IT band, piriformis muscle, and psois muscle are all fired up on the same hip.  Subsequently, my back hurts again.  Got PT involved and they noticed the instability in the hip so I guess it was good to stop any bad habits.  Thanks.
Cordially,
Ross

hernanu

Re: Ice
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
I didn't fully stop for about five months. I used it a lot less, but it was still needed if I worked out, etc.

One of the things that really helped me with the IT band was the dreaded foam roller. There is no exercise aid that is both more beneficial and more initially excruciating (gets much better after a few weeks), I believe. It was (and remains, I use it religiously) a great tool for keeping my IT band in line.

Also helps with back, shoulders, etc.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Ross

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:03:24 AM »
Hern

Yeah I have the foam roller but its kind of hard as I had both hips done.  My PT has been working on it.  Used the ice machine last night while sleeping

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
You are right, Ross - do it when it feels right. One other thing you can use is a tennis ball, just roll it up and down the IT bands until you can do the roller comfortably.

The tennis ball is also good for the iliopsoas in the groin area if it's irritated.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
I'm still using ice 15 months on. I still use the roller too
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
Daily after surgery - probably stopped at about 3 weeks.  Then off and on after PT or if things got a little sore, for another couple weeks.  Since then, I have iced up the hips after a really rigorous soccer match here and there and it felt great.  Although that's more along the lines of icing like a lot of athletes do after a rigorous work out. 

Dan Gossack might still be wearing his ice pants 1.5 years later?  Just kidding, but he really loved those pants and talked about them a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is still wearing them.   ;)
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:25:07 PM »
I stopped at around 4-5 weeks, and have been, thankfully, relatively pain free since.  I did overdo it once around 9 months, and probably should have iced.  Lesson learned.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat