+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Infection of Unknown Origin  (Read 8221 times)

GBLarry

• Second hip done Oct 10, 2012 after first in 2007.
Infection of Unknown Origin
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
Hello All -
I just finished six of the worst weeks of my rehab from my October left hip resurfacing!  I was doing great on getting back into shape till Christmas day when I felt a pain in my new hardware.  I was out of town so by the time I got back home the next morning, I went straight to my Dr, who ran a bunch of tests and had me back in the O.R. by 5:00 PM that evening to remove any and all the infection that somehow picked my new hip to attack.  It was a Strep-G strain that luckily can be treated with conventional means, and I did not have to lay in hospital for months till the infection was gone with no hip at all, like some I have talked to.

As I type this, I can celebrate the fact that the PICC line I had in my right arm since Dec 30, was removed this morning, and I am now on oral meds for another 3 months, after getting a morning dose of I.V. every day at our local hospital.  My infection numbers have dipped to the below normal range, so the infection Doc is pleased with the progress, as am I.  Also thankful that I am once again able to walk without assistance of crutches or cane.

The down side is that I got bumped back to week one of my rehab, but the positive side is that I am now feeling much better and without pain again, and ready to start the healing process once more.  I am again able to start working out gently, but STILL CAN'T TIE MY SHOES, but will be able to again soon.

For all I went through, I still feel so fortunate (read blessed) that I am where I am now, as I have met so many people with serious problems that dwarf my inconvenience.  So now I limp along for another few weeks till I can once again flex that hip, tie that shoe and be normal again.  I know it will happen, but I probably won't push quite as hard this time around.  Prudence hasn't been my middle name till now, but will be a true affiliate this Spring.
Green Bay, Wisconsin. USA

hernanu

Re: Infection of Unknown Origin
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 04:00:03 PM »
Damn, Larry! Sorry to hear about the infection, glad to hear you took care of it quickly.

I know you're rewound to the beginning, but like you said, the infection is managed and you can have a straight ahead recovery.

Good luck and stay positive - this is a step back, but your way is clear now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
Very sorry to hear about the infection, great to hear you are coming out of it so well.  The positive approach is sure to serve you well as you get better.

Scary stuff Larry.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

OtterDriver

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
For some silly reason your subject line made me think of "The Princess Bride" and the ROUS (Rodents Of Unusual Size).  Infection of Unknown Origin...Rodents of Unusual Size...sounds kinda the same, doesn't it?  Guess not...sorry!

Glad to hear you are mending!  You should check out The Princess Bride if you haven't seen it before.  It'll put a smile, or two, on your face during your recovery.  Keep up the good work!

Bruce

GBLarry

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
Thanks all for the positive thoughts and wishes.  I wanted to get better before I posted the setback.  And I am getting better.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:49:36 PM by GBLarry »

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »
Wow, we all have setbacks but, wow, I'm glad you're on the mend again

Any idea how the infection got started?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

GBLarry

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Celebrating one year on the newest resurfaced hip, and after the initial setback of the infection at 10 weeks, week 52 is fantastic.  I must admit that I never imagined how much yoga could help in the recovery.  I am now in week 7 of 3-4 times a week at the class at my gym, and if I happen to miss a session, I can feel my muscles start to tighten.  I was having issues with the scar tissue in the incision that was re-opened due to the infection, but the hard foam roller has made that go away. 
All in all, I am looking at a normal winter of skiing for me this year as Dr Anderson has given me the full OK for anything that doesn't hurt.  I even took a dive off a Segway onto pavement in August landing right on my repaired hip, with NO problems other than bruising and sore hands!  I did a perfect 3 point landing without thinking, and was sitting there doing a mental inventory of how I felt, and was happy to be able to get up without any other pain than the embarrassment.
Today there is no pain other than the normal creeks and groans of aging muscles, but no joint pain that was so common for the years prior to the procedure last October.  Am so glad I did it.
Larry
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:43:37 PM by GBLarry »

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
Just saw this Larry - happy anniversary, sounds like you're doing well. I've found yoga really helpful once you're past the restrictions (I started about 14 months along).

GBLarry

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 01:38:52 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes.  In the weeks since I posted, I have been able to stand more erect and have increased my walking, biking and other core exercises just a bit more.  I have another follow up blood work planned to be sure the infection is staying away, and have a high degree of confidence it will be at zero, where it belongs.

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
Sounds very positive Larry - Namaste and all.

I'm sure you're clear...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat