+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Incisional Pain upon walking  (Read 2897 times)

Ross

Incisional Pain upon walking
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
I am 10 weeks postop bilateral with Dr Gross and have developed sharp intense pain when walking in the middle of the incisional sight.  I remember a sharp pain that dissipated yesterday but now it is full on and has put me back on the cane.  I had increased my activity and did wall squats on the ball.  It did not bother me then but when I woke up this Am it was locked.  I rode the bike and stretched and this did not bother it.  Can anyone tell me what their set backs felt like , what brought it on, and how you resolved your problems.  Thanks all.
Cordially,
Ross

Baby Barista

Re: Incisional Pain upon walking
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
In order to achieve dislocation of the joint, the short external rotators have to be let down at their insertion point at the greater trochanter. When you do wall squats, that recruits a lot muscle fibers and puts a lot of stress on the still repairing rotator tendon. You can't do any damage, but it can hurt.

I overdid it a few times on my first surgery and that happened for me around the 10 week mark as well. I was feeling good and strong and did a pretty intense leg workout with just my body weight and a Bosu ball. I was hurting for a good week after.

Have you ever had a really bad ankle sprain? I did. A slight tweak would set it off for at least two years afterward. What happens to our hips in a BHR surgery is like an ankle sprain x10, so these occasional setbacks are to be expected.

I resolved my overdoing it troubles by using a mix of ice, heat, rest and massage. You'll feel better soon.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Ross

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
Thanks Baby Barista.  I appreciate your comment.  All the wind got let out of my sail.  I will let it rest for a week.  Did they massage over your incision and if they did how hard did they push.
Thank You,
Ross

Baby Barista

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
Directly over the incision, my PT would massage up to the point it was uncomfortable. I think the idea is palpate the tissue enough to get a productive reaction, but not so much that it causes lasting discomfort.
LBHR Pritchett 01/23/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup
RBHR Pritchett 12/10/12 - 52mm head, 58mm cup

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
Well put BB.  Yeah totally agree and 10 weeks is still in the main recovery time.  I overdid it a couple times and just had to back way down on the exercise.  Rest and ice.  I look at it like it's only soft tissue, which may not be the best approach, but when you compare damage to soft-tissue like muscle and tendons vs bone/cartilage you can fix it, it just takes some time.  Don't get discouraged.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Ross

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
It feels like something pinching inside the incision and if I continue to walk it locks up.  After I get off of it, it doesn't really hurt.  Since doing that exercise I feel  shifting and instability on the outside of the hip especially with any pivoting through the hip.  I have been using the cane and taking maybe 10 pounds off the leg and it does not really hurt but when it starts up it shuts me down pretty quick.  Did you guys use the foam roller at all and if you did we're you able to go over the incision.   I thought that I would be back to work by now.  I should still move the leg around shouldn't I?

Jbsloop

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 02:40:05 PM »
This may seem a bit crazy, but my PT person frequently used an actual 'rolling pin' over my incision area to prevent what you seem to be describing. It was not a comfortable experience at all, but so far does seem to have prevented any incision pain for me. Did they use the rolling pin method on you?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat