+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 week post-op update  (Read 2637 times)

evant

6 week post-op update
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »
Hi

I had my 6 week post-op appointment yesterday at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, England.

Unfortunately, at the last moment, Mr Ronan Treacy was unable to attend, so I saw his new registrar instead - a young, very able, pleasant, greek guy.

Apparently the registrars gain their wide experience by being assigned to different consultants at different hospitals in the Birmingham area every 6 months over a @ 5 year period.

I had a pre-prepared page of @ 15 questions and he was able to answer them all.

He believed I was progressing well and cleared me to start swimming and static cycling / cross trainer / treadmill. He suggested I wait another 6 weeks before starting regular cycling.

As my normal work is on ships / boats he believed waiting another 6 weeks before I would be ready to return to work.

Only 1 of my questions for him was really causing me some concern. During weeks 3, 4, 5, and 6, I experienced feeling 'unpleasantly cold' throughout my body for most of the time - I asked was it due to my body reacting to my bone growing into the BHR? He suggested it was possibly due to my 'blood count building back up' - he checked on his computer for my blood details.

Pre-op my blood count was 14.7, post-op it was 11.4 - he said a blood transfusion is necessary if your blood count is 8.0. (When I arrived home I googled '11.4 blood count' and was led to believe that he was referring to red blood cell count).

He wasn't concerned or suggested taking a further blood sample so I didn't feel concerned either.

I accepted this as a valid reason but as I'm not a medical person I've no other possible explanation.

Has anyone had a similar experience or a similar explanation to post-op symptoms they are experiencing?

Good wishes to all surface hippies.

Evant

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Mike D

Re: 6 week post-op update
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »
Sounds like you're doing fine there,evant.
My blood count was also really low straight after the surgery-only just over 8 and they wanted to give me a transfusion but I didn't like the idea at all.
As an alternative they gave me iron tablets for 12 weeks and that got my levels back to normal, although I didn't feel cold.
Keep up the good work regarding your recovery.Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »
Congrats on our new hip, hope your progression keeps on current course.   Given the incredible skill and experience of your surgeons, you should have a smooth and predictable recovery while following the advice.  My surgeon was trained by the gents there and he follows their program as far as exercises and restrictions, and I am thrilled with the outcome.

The cold thing dogged me also, for weeks after the first surgery, it was not pleasant, and the iron supplement was taken during that period.  It did go away prior to 6 weeks out.  I also had lost substantial weight and winter was coming on so I sort of dismissed it afterwards.

Best regards going forward,

Dan

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

evant

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:21 AM »
Mike D / Dan L

Many thanks for your reassuring responses.

Looks like I could have benefitted from taking iron tablets / supplements. Things are improving fine but if it persists I'll contact my doctor.

Evant

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

Manofword

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 08:10:44 PM »
Way to go, Evant! I'm 12 weeks this week and it's almost like nothing happened. Still slight tightness in the top front of my thigh, which gets better with stretches and walking & swimming with fins to put a little pressure on the muscles there. I feel I could do more, but an exercising great restraint until at least the 6mos mark. Have been cycling on the road since week 6 but only on flat roads and I've not been pushing it hard. Mainly for ROM, but I also got a new bike and couldn't wait to ride it! I don't know if I had any problem with blood count or not. I assume not since it didn't come up in conversation. Anyway, keep up the good work, Mate! It pays off! I can't wait to run again!
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

evant

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:46:36 AM »
Manofword

Glad to hear you're doing so well and I understand the irresistable temptation of a new bike.

I'd love to get out cycling on roads but I'm simply being cautious and following surgeon's advice.

I had a heavy fall on my bad hip just 5 days before surgery - cycling slowly on level damp decking in a rural wildlife setting - no damage done luckily (only to my pride!), and completely my own fault as I knew the hazard / risk association with cycling on wet decking.

I simply temporarily had my mind on other things - with osteoarthritis pain I sadly did experience loss of concentration which was out of character for me. 

A very vivid reminder though of how easy I could undo all the good work of my surgeon.

I've returned to swimming this week which feels good, and had 2 sessions in the gym, so I feel at least I'm pushing my fitness in the right direction.

Look forward to hearing (following your surgeon's advice of course) when you have been able to get out running again.

All the best.

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:25:30 AM »
Sounds like your going great! Long may it continue mate :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

evant

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:15:31 AM »
Danny

Thanks. Getting back in the swimming pool felt good.

Good luck with your approaching military medical.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
Yeah the pool is awesome! I really need to get back in the pool!

Thanks I'm crossing everything!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Manofword

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »
Evant,

I spent a little time last night on my bike trainer. Nothing out of the saddle, but still fairly aggressive pedaling. Got my heart rate up pretty good and felt great afterward. Actually, I feel great this morning as well. Knowing our bodies' limits and general principles of anatomic recovery is crucial to where we want to go.
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat