+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Forbidden Zone  (Read 7414 times)

chuckm

Forbidden Zone
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:46:15 AM »
I think just about everyone here gets post op instructions from their surgeon to avoid internal rotation - don't point toes inward on op leg. My PT orders said the same thing.
Is this a permanent restriction? I can't find much on this and I am 12 weeks post op.
I feel as though this is the last area in my current ROM that remains tight, but I can't find any info how or if I should exercise this movement. I'm about to email my surgeon on this but I also wanted to ask the hippy's out there if they have any knowledge on this.
Thanks,
Chuck M
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Dannywayoflife

Re: Forbidden Zone
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
This should be a temporary restriction it's to allow your muscles to heal to the point where they can support the device without risk of dislocation. Rom is the last thing to return!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »
Danny is correct, it is usually temporary.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
Traditional small head THRs sometimes have this as a lifetime restriction to avoid dislocation. I have seen people dislocate small head THRs through internal rotation combined with flexion doing something as simple as buckling their ski boots, long after surgery.  One of the theoretical advantages of resurfacing is that the dislocation risk in extremely low, so there is usually no long term restriction on internal rotation. However, while the muscles and joint capsule are healing, many surgeons put on short term restrictions, often around six weeks, to avoid any chance of dislocation while things are healing and tightening up. You should check with your surgeon to confirm how long he would like the restriction, and when it is safe to start working on internal rotation exercises.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

fenceman

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
Although not something that I felt like doing after surgery, I was not instructed to avoid this movement by the Dr. or the PT staff.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat