+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where should I be  (Read 3512 times)

Ross

Where should I be
« on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:21 AM »
I am 13 weeks postop.  I have pain in the left hip and something kind of pops when I stand up and put all my weight on the leg it doesn't really hurt.  I do have pain in the groin when doing leg raises.  It's hard not to compare the two legs as one is saying go and the other is saying no.  I had surgery with Dr Gross and have stretching limitations so some things like my IT band and psoas muscles are hard to address.  Foam roller I have done and stretching within the limitations but the insert of the IT at the knee prevents me from doing many side raises so I have been doing clam shells.  I guess that I am wondering if my progress is normal for a simultaneous bilat and when did any of you hippies get over the restricting limitations.  I would love to play golf but no way would I try.  I have been told by PT that the muscles in the hips are not working the same and need retraining.  Sound familiar?
Ross

hernanu

Re: Where should I be
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:15:45 AM »
Not simultaneous, but being a bilat, it does sound familiar. My two did not behave similarly, each had its own issues.

I started on PT from the first week. First at home, very light and careful, then moved to outpatient PT at four weeks. I think it helped, but all of us have gone through some setbacks and pain. I really had no limitations, so was able to do things within reason. My PTs were great, careful and knowledgeable with THRs and were excited to learn about HRs.

Do what you can within the limitations. 13 weeks is still very early, it took you years to get to this point with OA, your body has learned to live with the OA, it will take less time, but still some time for it to learn to live without it   ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
What are your stretching limitations? I'm only left hip but I'll be 13 weeks too on Friday. The only stretching limitations I had were internal rotation which has since been lifted.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
Hi Ross,

I feel your frustration.
My left  hip is so far behind the right at the same recovery time.  It is hard not to compare.  I still get a little twinge (maybe like your pop) when I lift my leg to put on pants.  I can't put on my shoe with my leg crossed over my right knee because pushing the shoe on hurts too much.  My ROM is not pain free in either hip. Leg lifts are painful in the groin but getting easier.

I know that these things are SLOWLY getting better and time will heal.  I just want it to be faster.  My PT is helping me with my back issues, but I now have a Morton's Neuroma pop up on my right foot which is affecting my walking and my gate and everything else.  Going to the podiatrist next week.

It is still early in our recovery relatively speaking.  I hope you get some relief and experience some progress. 

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

mustang4172

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:54 AM »
Hi Ross-
I'm just about 9 weeks post op for the bilateral procedure.  My left hip is behind my right in strength and flexibility.  I've been attending PT sessions 3 times per week religiously and doing the routines on my own on the other days.  I'm having the same thoughts on where I should be. I still have some aching at night in bed, limping when I first get up out of a chair, not able to lift my legs above 90 degrees while standing (they just won't go!)   PT tells me that I'm not taking a full stride when I walk, so he has started me on exercises that should strengthen the weak gluteus muscles that he says are contributing to my compacted stride.  I'm probably being impatient and just need to realize that getting to where I want to be will take time.  Certainly, there is no comparison with the minor pain I'm having now compared to the arthritis pain I had prior to my surgery.  I'm just hoping I can get the full range of motion back....I haven't been able to sit cross-legged on the floor for years and want to be able to do it again.
Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »
Hey mustang (good handle, by the way), you are very early in the recovery process, so yeah, you are being impatient, but it's also a normal thing for us.

All the things you can't do right now, I couldn't either at that time and took a while to get to. The stride, startup pain, etc... all sound familiar. The startup pain left at about six months for me, one leg was (and still in the slightest of fashions remains) the weaker side.

Don't worry about it, just heal, do your PT and have faith. I was able to sit cross legged on the floor by the fifth month. Patience and work get you there.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mustang4172

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
Hi Hernan-
Thanks for the encouraging words.  I think Ross would agree that it is nice to hear the feedback and that patience is key - we'll get there, it just takes time.
Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
Hi Ross,
I can already tell that my new hip will be better than the one I had done 4-1/2 years ago even though that one is doing very well.  I also still have pain in the groin if I go too far on my side leg lifts and my lower back is still giving me fits although it is slowly getting better.  The knee is finally feeling better although a little week when going up steps.

The good news is that I feel like I am getting better every week instead of the feeling before surgery of slowly getting worse. 
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
Although I am not simultaneous bilat, as Hernanu mentioned, they each seem to take their own course.  I'd suggest you're probably around the average situation after 13 weeks, and "average" is hard to pinpoint because each person, and each hip on the same person, seems to take its own course.

Keep after the rehab exercises and try to be as patient as possible (that is no easy thing for many hippies) and in time you will see more improvement.  I continue to improve at 17 months on one and 12.5 on the other one.

Best regards,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat