+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another new hippy  (Read 2552 times)

RobinK

Another new hippy
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
Although this is my first time posting, I've read lots of posts. Thank you to everyone who has posted! The information and experience you've shared has been more valuable than words can express. Because of your willingness to share, I went into this experience without fear and apprehension. Now, here I am, nearly a week post-surgery, doing great, thanks in large part to y'all!   ;D
R-BHR - Feb 2013 - Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital

hernanu

Re: Another new hippy
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
Excellent Robin, and welcome!

Dr. Brooks has a very good reputation. How is it going with the recovery?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

RobinK

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
Every day, I'm pleasantly surprised at how much better I'm doing than the day before.

I asked and was allowed to go home after 2 nights. I've been diligent about doing my exercises and such. I'm no athlete, but I'm in pretty good shape. Although I gave up yoga about a year ago due to my hip, I'm still pretty bendy and that has helped lots. The only thing I've been having trouble with are abductions/adductions. And I can't quite reach my foot. I'm confident that I'll get there, though.
R-BHR - Feb 2013 - Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 12:20:11 PM »
Welcome to the other side! Stay positive and listen to your body and doc and you'll be fit before you know it! Rom is normally the last thing to return so be patient with that it can take over 12 months.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
You will have trouble with those for a bit. They exercise areas that were stretched / distended during the surgery and need rejuvenation.

Both times, I had to relearn how to do the sideways leg raise in particular. It wasn't muscle strength (I thought), since my larger muscles were in shape, but I could not for the life of me even move the leg up. It was the most frustrating thing.

My PT worked with me, first raising it gently as I tried, eventually getting (yipee!!) one repetition. She told me that she also saw this in THR recoveries, that not only strength, but muscle memory has to be rebuilt.

After a couple of weeks, I began to be an old pro and did five reps with abandon and dash  ::)

You'll get there, sound like you're doing well. Have patience though - you will hit spots where you regress; we all have. Just work past them, trust your body and keep within the restrictions that your surgeon has put up for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »
Glad you are doing well Robin.  I did not like the sitting hip abductors.  My heel felt like it was stuck to the ground and my leg felt like it weighed 200 lbs.  After 2 week I did a lot better with the standing exercises. 

Every day you will feel better.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

evant

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
Robin - isn't that so cool that you went in for your operation 'without fear and apprehension'.

Same for me, and I agree with you, all thanks to the great people on this site.

Dr Brooks sounds like a truly brilliant surgeon so good choice there.

Over the next few weeks be extra good to yourself, be patient, and you'll get there.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Manofword

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
Woo Hoo! Another satisfied Brooks customer. I am at 14 weeks on Wed from the exact same place and surgeon you had. Great to hear the good report so far. I also had a little trouble putting socks on, but I was determined to not have my wife put them on for me. Like you, I found this web site a wealth of info that really helped me make my decision. I have zero regrets. Take your time in recovery and listen to your body. Dr. Brooks & Phil pretty much leave us on our own to do the exercises and ROM stretches etc. If you push too hard, your body will "talk" to you! Likewise if you push too little, the aches will remain longer than they should. Dr. Brooks is an excellent surgeon and I am so blessed that he is in our area. I thought that I was going to have to resort to THR until I found out about him. I am sure you're enjoying the achy hip pain being gone.
Phil. 4:13  -  RBHR Dr. Brooks 11-28-12 Euclid Hospital/Cleve. Clinic (48/56) (no more pain!)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »
Hi Robin

Welcome to the world of hip resurfacing!  Glad everything worked well for you.  Wait until summer comes and you can give that new BHR a good workout.

Take it easy for now and let your body heal.

Stop by and let us know how you  are doing when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
Congrats Robin.

If you stay dilligent with the exercises, obey the restrictions for the 1st year, and keep on the ice and meds when needed to stay ahead of the pain during the initial recovery, you'll be a very happy customer in @ 12 months.

Patience is the absolutley most important part of this after you get off your crutches-- remember this is a long term thing and with proper care and feeding, should serve you very well for many, many years.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat