+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Could this be a torn labrum?  (Read 1310 times)

Miguelito

Could this be a torn labrum?
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
Hello!

Having problems with my un-operated hip. Pretty different than what I went thru with the hip I had resurfaced last year. Other hip was the typical pain in the groin, lower buttocks, down side of leg, lower back, etc., that got worse as the day progressed. 

I have FAI in both hips and will need the other (left) hip done in "a few years, maybe 3-5". The pain I have been having for the last couple of months in the un-operated hip is very sharp and short-lasting, very different than the other hip. It is mostly in the front where the leg meets the waist, maybe more to the groin, but not in the groin per se. Sometimes I feel it in what I think of as the joint (but I am not sure). And the pain is not activity related. It mostly happens in one of two situations: getting up from sitting, or (more frequently and sharper) when I am sitting at my desk at work and cross or uncross my legs. Doesn't happen every time but when it does a little yell is often forced out of me. Sometimes the yell is not so little and I wonder what my co-workers in the offices next door are thinking.

Anyway I have done some research (though yet to meet with my doctor) and think this might be a torn labrum. Does this make sense to any of you? Other possibilities? This is such a complex area of the body. I am confussed!

I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself here, but what the heck. If it is a torn labrum, would having it repaired surgically buy me a couple of extra years (or more) before HR on that hip? Just looking for your thoughts/opinions.

Thx,

Mike
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

kimberly52

Re: Could this be a torn labrum?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:05:49 AM »
Hi,

I had a torn labrum which when my doc went in last January and found it irreparable so he basically cleaned it up.  Have you had an arthrogram?  That was the only test where they could make the diagnosis for me.  It never showed on a regular MRI or x-ray.  I too have that intense sharp pain that makes you yelp out loud.  I never had it until a few months ago.  My problem is not only 20% of my labrum is now gone but also that my cartilage is all messed up too creating that bone on one thing you hear about.  The cartilage is pulling away and slopping around from what I understand. Possibly yours is a bit more complex than only a labrum also.  Ask for the arthrogram if you have not already had it done.

Best of luck,

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Dee Dee

Re: Could this be a torn labrum?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:44:28 PM »
I would talk to Dr. goss office.  It is possible your other hip has deteriorated.  It sounds a lot like my Labral tears.  My symptoms occurred when I was weight bearing and made a slight turn while standing or walking.  I would get a quick sharp pain that made me buckle but never fall.  Usually the pain went right away, but one times it lingered. 

I got an arthrogram with MRI to finally prove the labral tear, but it was very painful and caused more trouble in my hip. 

I hope you get answers.

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM