+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Foot pain when walking  (Read 2446 times)

Dee Dee

Foot pain when walking
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
Another set back
Lesson learned - new hips means get new walking shoes ( and new custom orthotics).  No one told me that until after my foot started hurting.

I was having pain while taking my daily walk starting in January. I could not figure out what was wrong.  Eventually my PT pointed out my favorite saucony walkers were not supporting my feet.  I got new shoes, and that helped some.  PT tried to work on the foot, but no help. They were thinking maybe Morton's neuroma so I went to the podiatrist to get a shot. I am already on anti inflammatories for arthritis in other areas.

No neuroma, and after a bone scan I have been diagnosed with stress reaction and arthritis of the foot.  At least it is not the suspected stress fracture. But, now I am in a boot for a minimum of three weeks. 

No distance walking for a month.  My hips do  not like the boot and this is day one.  I told Dr. gross office about it so they are on board.  I will get new custom orthotics after the boot is done.  Mine are 16 years old.

Any body else have foot issues pop up after new hips?  I don't want to be a couch potato, but walking in the boot even with a matched heel is going to be tough. 

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Foot pain when walking
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »
Dee;

I struggled some after my first BHR while wearing work (dress) shoes with a heel.  Once I switched to flat walking type shoe for work (look like casual dress shoes), it made a huge positive difference.  My hiking boots were somewhat challenging during the recovey phases (I think because of the weight difference), but that has improved alot.  Prior to the sugeries walking with the boots even on flat ground was very painful for a few days afterward.

Hope it helps,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:07 AM »
Another set back
Lesson learned - new hips means get new walking shoes ( and new custom orthotics).  No one told me that until after my foot started hurting.

I was having pain while taking my daily walk starting in January. I could not figure out what was wrong.  Eventually my PT pointed out my favorite saucony walkers were not supporting my feet.  I got new shoes, and that helped some.  PT tried to work on the foot, but no help. They were thinking maybe Morton's neuroma so I went to the podiatrist to get a shot. I am already on anti inflammatories for arthritis in other areas.

No neuroma, and after a bone scan I have been diagnosed with stress reaction and arthritis of the foot.  At least it is not the suspected stress fracture. But, now I am in a boot for a minimum of three weeks. 

No distance walking for a month.  My hips do  not like the boot and this is day one.  I told Dr. gross office about it so they are on board.  I will get new custom orthotics after the boot is done.  Mine are 16 years old.

Any body else have foot issues pop up after new hips?  I don't want to be a couch potato, but walking in the boot even with a matched heel is going to be tough. 

Dee

I did, Dee - I wrote about it after my second hip was done. It seems that I was putting too much pressure on the middle part of my foot (apparently outside and inside is the right thing) and it caused the bone in the second joint in my left foot to enlarge slightly. The podiatrist showed me the x-rays, and sure enough, there it was.

I had never heard of it, so he gave me some NSAIDS and prescribed good orthotics. I made sure after that to update my shoes, was ticked off that after all of the work in recouping, my footwear was a issue.

It's been a while (two years) since the problem cropped up, and don't have an issue with it now, but it was a problem for a few months. I didn't have a boot, maybe that would have helped more, but my podiatrist just went with the orthotics.

Moral of the story to me is that revising your footwear to get good supportive shoes is important. Doesn't mean ugly (actually my dress shoes look better), but the shoes you have now may not be the best for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dee Dee

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
Thanks guys.  As a woman I was enjoying the confidence of strong recovering hips and wearing high heels once in awhile.  ugh!
i am wearing my new walking shoe with a lift in the heel so my pelvis is even while wearing and walking in a boot.  That should  help prevent back issues popping up. 

I miss walking already.  I can continue with exercises, but the weather is warming up and I just want to be active outside. I am not supposed to be on my feet if I can help it. 

Lesson learned- watch out for gait issues and get new supportive shoes after the hr.  I knew my gait was off some but did not realize how much stress I was putting on that foot. 

Dee
Right HR  5-23-12  Dr. Gross
Left HR 12-5-12 Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz