+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Marc Anderson in Green Bay, WI  (Read 6451 times)

mac

Dr. Marc Anderson in Green Bay, WI
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »
Hello Pat,

I just met Dr. Marc Anderson in Green Bay, WI who does the BHR proceedure.  He says I am a candidate for resurfacing, 52 yrs old and in good shape. He says he trained in the UK under Dr. McMann and has done 37 BHR's with only one fracture that was fixed with THR.  I've not found any Orthopods in my area that do anything other than THR or resurface with the Biomet.  I have Aetna insurance and unfortunately, Dr. Rogerson in Madison is not in the plan.  Do you have any info on Anderson or any other Dr.'s in the NE Wisconsin area?

This hip pain has really taken me by surprise.  It only started about 6 weeks ago.  I'm trying to make it through the summer and have it done in Sept. or Oct.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Mac
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 01:54:19 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Dr. Marc Anderson in Green Bay, WI
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:19:14 PM »
Hi Mac

I gave you your own topic so people can see you are asking about Dr. Anderson.

I don't know of any patients that have used him.  Since he has only done 37 so far, there might not be many patients of his online.

Dr. Rogerson is the only doctor I know of that has done several hundred hip resurfacings in your area.

Sometimes people can work with their insurance plans to use other doctors.  I don't know much about it since I don't have any health insurance and can't get any at this point in my life.

I always suggest trying to use the really experienced surgeons to everyone due to the steep learning curve.  The overall stats for the BHR has dropped from a 99.8% revision rate to 96% revision rate since the new US doctors have started doing the BHR.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/bhrhistory.php

That means 4 out of every 100 patients could have problems.  If you don't want to be one of the statistics, then look for an experienced surgeon that is not in the learning curve.  If you are a gambling person, the odds of 4% probably isn't too bad.  It seems to me after reading many personal stories that patients of the newer doctors often have more difficult and longer recoveries.  That is because the doctors are very conservative and don't have a lot of patient expereince.  The old pros of thousands of resurfacings, pretty well know what to expect and let their patients do whatever they want.  They know you are very restricted after surgery anyways.  Most use the 90 degree rule and suggest you use a crutch/es until you don't limp.

So a lot depends on your own gut feeling about Dr. Anderson and how much you want to gamble. Only you can make the decision.  Many people use the newer surgeons and have been fine.  Also many others have encountered problems - mostly loose acetabular cups.  I know of 14 cases so far that required a second surgery to place the loose cup or to a THR revision.

It is up to you.  I am happy to answer any questions I can for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Kay

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »
Hello - I just had an appointment recently with Dr. Marc Anderson in Green Bay Wi. also, for me it was very incouraging that he felt hip resurfacing was a solution for me.  My problem is Hip Dysplasia.  He spent a lot of time with me dicussing the procedure and took his time anwsering my questions compared to the other orthopods I've seen.  The other two surgeons I've seen in my area (Appleton/Neenah, Wi) that are covered with my insurance (United Health) want to do a full hip replacement (but being a 42 year old, they want me to wait as long as I can) and they don't do the BHR.  I had a hip scope a year ago, which after healing, helped my pain for maybe one month, but then the pain came back quick and this year I can't really walk without limping.  My hip pain started in the late 80's and for the last two years I've had difficulty walking more than a block.  This year my back is giving me so much pain from walking funny so it's getting more difficult to wait any longer and I feel it's time to do something about it.  I'm hoping to schedule surgery in January. At one time I was an o.k. athlete playing basketball in college etc.  but it's been a long time since I've been able to do much at all.   My hopes and expectations after surgery aren't really high I don't think, I'm just hoping to be able to walk, garden, bike, keep up with my 7 year old, and be able to sleep without pain at this point.  So, I'm also worried about, with the BHR procedure being newer, finding a doctor in my area that is experienced enough, that is also covered under my insurance etc.  I was wondering if you had information on Dr. Michael Anderson in Milwaukee?  He would be a 2 hour drive for me, but has some articles out about BHR so I'm thinking of also getting an opinion from him... I liked Dr. Marc Anderson in Green Bay but just don't know how many doctors I should visit before hopefully scheduling hip resurfacing.  Do you know if Dr. Michael Anderson in Milwaukee would be considered more experienced?
Thanks for you time,
K

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
HI Kay

Welcome to Hip Talk.

You are still very young at 42 to need new hips.  I hope you will continue to consider hip resurfacing.  It is a good solution for younger people because it conserves the femur bone.  They don't have to cut a large piece of it off like they do in a THR.  So later in life, if you would need a revision, you have a comlete femur bone to work with.  If you start with a THR, each revision becomes more difficult. The videos on this page show the difference between a THR and hip resurfacing
http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videos.php

I am sorry I don't know aything about your doctor.  Do you know how many hip resurfacings he has done to date?

You have a pretty experienced surgeon near you call Dr. Rogerson.  He has a really good rehab problem similar to Dr. De Smets in Belgium.  He has a lot of happy, active patients. Here are a few stories  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr.%20Rogerson

You should be able to return to a really active life and almost any sport you did earlier in your life after your recover.  THat is one of the best reason to have a hip resurfacing.

This is Dr. Rogerson's information:

John S. Rogerson, MD- BHR trained 2006
250 Hip Resurfacings to date ***
2 Science Court Suite 101
Madison, WI 53711
Phone (608) 231-3410
Fax (608) 231-3430
Email:jrjb@charterinternet.com
http://www.orthorogerson.com
Meriter Hospital

If you have read much on the website you will understand why we always try to suggest using the most experienced surgeons.  The benchmark use to be 50 resurfacings for them to become experienced, but it has climbed to 100 and recently DR. Bose in his video interview suggests a surgeon needs 200 to become experienced.   I know everyone can't use the really experienced surgeons, but it is good if you possible can.

If you do use Dr. Anderson I hope you will share more information about him after your surgery. 

You hopes and expectations at 42 should be really high for a recovery and doing whatever sports you want to.  Many have returned to most sports you can think of.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/athletes.php

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat