+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Finally I'm a Surface Hippy - 2 weeks Post-op  (Read 2200 times)

dimples

Finally I'm a Surface Hippy - 2 weeks Post-op
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:21:52 PM »
Hi all,
I am the proud owner of a brand new Birmingham Hip as of 4/30/08!   So far, things have gone well. My Dr. says x-rays look great.  Pain in the center of my joint is gone!!! AMAZING!!! Still have muscle stiffness and soreness. I  have graduated from a walker to crutches - with only 25% weight-bearing on affected side for at least 3 more weeks.  I will switch from in-home to out-patient therapy next week, and have permission to drive again in a few more days.  At this point I am relieved that the surgery seems to be a success and ready to get on with my life.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice over the last couple of months while I tried to find my way and make the difficult decision to have resurfacing.  My insurance company (HMO) limited my choices as far as which Dr. I could use.  My only option was to use one that had done less than 20 resurfacings.  I do have a skin allergy to nickel.  Both Dr. Gross and my surgeon felt that the chance of an allergic reaction was small - so time will tell.

Thanks again to Pat and all the other Surface Hippies!!!!

DHS
LBHR 4/30/08
Dr. H. Brooks
Douglasville, GA
USA

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Finally I'm a Surface Hippy - 2 weeks Post-op
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:27:01 PM »
Hi Dimples

Congratulations on your new hip - you are an official Surface Hippy!

Interesting that there is a Dr. Brooks in GA doing resurfacing. I know of Dr. Brooks in Ohio that has done over 200.

As time goes on, keep track of your Dr. Brooks and when he gets close to 100 resurfs, let me know so I can list him.

I hope your recovery continues to go well for you.  You will have a great summer.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things are going.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

rlm869

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »
congrats to you! it is wonderful to be without pain. i was amazed at how much different i felt after just one week. keep us posted on your recovery!
 :D
rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »
That's great!  It's amazing to be pain-free!  Happy healing!

Elaine Y.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »
Hi Dimples,

That's Awesome -- It is amazing how wonderful and different your outlook on life is without the constant pain. I, too, am highly allergic to nickel, but my surgeon gave me the option of what to do. Based on what he told me, what I had read, and what info I got from having my blood tested by Rush University for a research project that they are conducting on this very issue, the conclusion I came up with was that the evidence thus far did not support without a reasonable doubt that people with skin metal allergies are prone to an allergic reaction with deep tissue implants. And, I have not had any problem whatsoever with the implant and I am 17 weeks postop today, 5/20/08. Good decision on your part to go ahead with the implant even though you are allergic to nickel.

Good Luck and know that you are well on your way to a normal life again without pain ;)

Elaine Y.
RBHR -- Dr. Eugene Lopez, 1/22/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat