+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rehab facility or not?  (Read 12820 times)

hippy hippy shake

Rehab facility or not?
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »
I'm scheduled for bilateral with Dr. Su in about 3 weeks.  I have found this site to be very helpful to prepare, but still have a lot of questions.  One particular post that I found helpful was

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/bilateral-stories/any-dr-su-bilateral-representatives-here/

especially the long response by Mr. Box.  Mr. Box, while we can't be sure about your inspiration for your "rambles" I found it to be one of the most insightful and applicable comments I've read. Thanks.

Dr. Su’s  (my daughter thinks I’m saying Dr. Seuss) office really seems to be trying to dissuade me from planning on a rehab stay after my release from the hospital.  They give their reasoning as the increased risk of infection, as well as a lack of necessity (even bilateral patients can get by at home after the 3 to 4 days at HSS.)  My wife is concerned though, because as I have said in some previous posts, I am 6'5" and 230 lbs, 52 years old, and don't have a particularly strong upper body.  She's concerned that she'll have trouble helping me up (which can be of particular concern if there is a time-dependent trip to the bathroom involved.)

I guess I’ll at least check with Kessler, as Woodstock Hippy suggested, as I am from NJ.

I know that no one knows how another person will specifically handle any surgery, but I’d appreciate hearing “both sides” of the story from simultaneous bilateral patients on the whether a rehab stay is appropriate.  Thanks.

HHS
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

hernanu

Re: Rehab facility or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
Hi HHS,

I didn't go into a rehab facility, but several of our hippys have and had a good experience.

Although a bilat, I did mine one at a time, so can talk to the one hip rehab. I had no real problem with getting up and going. I live alone, but my parents did help me for the first five days each time.

I stayed at the hospital for three days and was functional afterwards. I got up by myself from both bed and from my chair / couch. Once up, you can move fairly fast and never encountered any "accidents" or even small fender benders   ::)

I had an occupational therapist whose job it was to make me fit to ambulate around my place. We worked on getting in and out of bed, the right way to walk on crutches, to get up and return to a chair, in and out of the shower and to go up and down stairs. 

I felt fairly confident on leaving the hospital, and my confidence was borne out, both times there were no problems with moving about.

I planned out my place for my limitations early on. I put all chargers for phones, remotes, etc. on surfaces that would be both stable and easily reached on crutches - my kitchen counter fit all of those. I cleared all paths (widened spaces between furniture, etc.) and put my most commonly used foods on the top shelf of the refrigerator, front, etc.

As far as getting in and out of bed, the method I found best for me was:

• Sitting up in bed, tuck the non-surgical leg under the surgical leg at the ankle
  • Using the non-surgical leg for support, swing out to a sitting position.
  • Lower the surgical leg while supporting it with the other leg at the ankle
  • Use your crutches or crutch to stand up
  • To get into bed, reverse - sit, tuck the ankle under the surg. ankle, use it for support, swing back and lie down.

That worked well for me, until I didn't need it any more.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
Love you handle, it's good to have a theme song going in;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBAsxLKC1Dk

I know that you've seen my posts encouraging bilateral patients to go into a rehab facility.  I encourage it because of how well it worked out for me. They managed my pain, got me up and moving, encouraged me to work on my recovery and taught me the things I would need to know when I left the hospital like how to get into the car, the bathtub for a shower and up and down onto the toilet by my self.  I walked out of NYU Rusk Rehab in nine days using only one cane and got myself into the car for the ride home.  I never had any mobility issues afterwards. 

I don't know what is wrong with Dr Su and his staff.  When they say that patients do just fine at home, it's like they don't care that they go home and suffer.  They had one patient who posted here, waiting in a NYC hotel room until he was feeling good enough to get on a plane to go home.  If the doctor isn't going to have a plan for recovery, he shouldn't be doing bilateral surgery.  Dr Su is one of the top rated HR surgeons but even his single side patients have it tough at first.  Get ready to double that.  And you literally won't have a leg to stand on.

You  really have to at least call Kessler and Rusk.  They are the number 1 and number 2 rated rehab facilities in the country.  Kessler is where Superman went.  He knew what's best!  Don't go home and suffer.  If you check into one of these rehabs and find that you don't need it or don't like it, you can always go home.

Best of luck with your surgery.  It feels so good when the pain goes away.

Where are you from in NJ.  I live on Long Island but I grew up in Newark and spent most of my life in NJ
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:55:30 PM by Woodstock Hippy »
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Ross

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
I agree with Woody.  You need the TLC for another week or so.  I regretted not going after I had bilateral.  It was very difficult and frustrating.  Probably, you will meet your out of pocket yearly deductible so go and heal up.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
The only thing I had to pay for in the rehab was a bill from the doctor who was the head of rehab and not in network for Empire Blue Cross/ shield.  This was BS, if I knew he wasn't in network I would have told him to stay out of my room.  I talked with his office, pleaded with them, argued and finally had to send them a check for about $90.  I think it's a bunch of crap for him not to be in network and not accept what they pay.

hippy hippy shake

Simultaneous Bilat - Rehab facility or not?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far.  This is valuable information.  I hope to hear from some others as well.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:09:05 AM by hippy hippy shake »
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

mustang4172

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
Hippy hippy shake-

As others have mentioned already, you're in great hands with Dr. Su.  I had my bilateral surgery this past New Year's Eve. and I'm now 3 mos. post op I'm routinely taking my dog for 4+ mile hikes.  Before I had my surgery I was debating whether I would go to a rehab facility post op.  I think I knew my second day in the hospital that I wouldn't need to go to a facility when I was able to get up and walk down the HSS halls - first with a walker and later that day on crutches.  I think  it will depend on how you feel after the surgery.  I had in-home physical therapists come three days per week for 2 weeks post op and that really helped.  I did this through Atlantic Health - it was arranged while I was still in the hospital.  I also got 2 visits from a nurse (one was to remove my staples).  I had help at home as well since my wife doesn't work outside the home.

Hope this helps...please feel free to ask any other questions about the bilateral surgery.

Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

moe

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »
I went to a rehab facility after my bilat. It took a lot out of me and I was an in shape athlete. The surgeon recommended it and and it was the right call. I would not have been able to go home safely immediately. My surgeon was trained by Dr Su and did his residency at HSS.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

kimberly52

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
Hi Moe,

I am planning to do rehab as well.  It was highly recommended by a few people who had the procedure.  When I spoke to Su's office about that the girl on the phone was very surprised because she said that Dr. Su's patients normally don't do it.

How many days were you in the hospital and how many in rehab?

Kim

Dr. Michael Clarke
4/6/13
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

moe

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:44:16 PM »
Hi Kimberly, if I remember correctly it was 3 days in each hospital. I know each surgeon and patient response is different so I can only speak to my own experience. It really helped in my case to not go home right away.  I did exercise every day and learned how to move correctly in rehab. It really is much harder having both done at once in the beginning. After you get you're strength back it's not so bad. Just be aware of the added costs, one rehab doctor came in my room for 2 minutes and I got a bill for that. I would do it all over again the same way, today I am once again super active and healthy with no issues.

I would be wary of aggressive pt, it can cause more harm than help.

Hope this helps,

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

double trouble

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »
I had Bilateral BHR September 2010, at Joint Disease; I advised Woodstock Hippy at the time of his surgery to take advantage of Rusk rehab. As you can see both Woody and myself highly recommend the care, pain management and Acute PT given there-TOP NOTCH!
I was 61 at the time, 6' 1" 215 lbs and good physical condition.
Do not pass up this opportunity if covered by insurance, it will enhance your recovery.
Best wishes.

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 08:50:30 AM »
Thanks again for all the advice.  On my final countdown now.
I talked with the case manager at HSS.  She said we'd set up a dual plan, making arrangements for rehab and for home care, and then utilizing which ever is needed at the time I am discharged.    I'll let you know.....
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

kimberly52

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
Good luck to you!

What day is your surgery?

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 08:01:21 PM »
Thursday.

Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
Thursday, good for yo.  Best of luck!

hippy hippy shake

So-o-o-o, the answer is......
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
I came home from HSS on Monday, after 4 nights. 
So, it's the answer for my case - and I feel comfortable with it.

I'm doing fine, but it is burdensome on whoever is taking care of you at home.  Can't walk with a big glass of water when using both crutches (which is necessary yet).  My wife has earned a handful of gold stars.  Still a bit tired.  More later.

Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »
Congrats! (both to you and your wife)...

Keep us posted on how it's going.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

mustang4172

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »
Congratulations!  I just passed the 4 month mark for my bilateral by Dr. Su.  You'll be less of a burden to your wife as each day passes (my wife can attest to this). 
Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
hippy hippy shake

Glad to hear things are going well for you.  Just take it easy and pretty soon you will be walking all over without problems. 

Good Luck and keep us updated when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

kimberly52

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Congrats Hippy!

Happy healing.

Ki,
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke