+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I'm seeing Dr. Gross tomorrow  (Read 3936 times)

xocy

I'm seeing Dr. Gross tomorrow
« on: May 15, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
I've posted a few times over the past couple of weeks. I am actually scheduled for my first THR the end of June here in Atlanta with another OS, but I've been taking to Dr. Gross' office for the past week. After sending my x-rays to him via email, they tell me I'm a good candidate for resurfacing. I'm a 59 year old male with osteo arthritis in both hips.

I had my bone density test today and all seemed OK. Tomorrow I will drive from Atlanta to Columbia (3 hours) to meet Dr. Gross and his staff. So far they have been very helpful. I'm scared crazy, but look forward to asking him a lot of questions. I'll keep all of you posted.

I can be contacted at mraycox@aol.com
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I'm seeing Dr. Gross tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:37:16 PM »
Hi

You are too young to have a thr if Dr. Gross tells you you are a good candidate for hip resurfacing.

I was 61 when I had my hips resurfaced and I know De Smet has done men in their 70s.  You want to keep as active as possible and keep your femur bone too. So hip resurfacing is a great solution.

There have been many of us that cancelled our THR surgeries after we found out about hip resurfacing.   

Did you see Dr. Gross's video?  I just posted it about a week ago.   http://www.surfacehippy.info/shvideos/videosdoctor.php   It is an excellent video to learn about Dr. Gross and hip resurfacing.

Don't be scared - the expereinced doctors are kind and will answer all your questions.  Don't be shy - ask so you can learn the answers.

Dr. Gross is one of the best in the US.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »
All went well with Dr. Gross. It would be helpful if some of your story contributors would be willing to post their personal email address so we might follow their prgress more closely. I will be glad to offer mine. mraycox@aol.com

Anyone interested in my visit with Dr. Gross and his staff is welcome to contact me.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »
Hi xocy

I am glad everything went well with Dr. Gross. There are lots of happy Gross patients.

The problem with the discussion groups, both mine and the Yahoo one, is that once people finally get their surgerys and heal - they move on.  That is why I try to post so many stories before they are off to living a normal life again.

If you want to write more about your visit, I am sure people will want to read it.  The posts even on this Hip Talk get hundreds of views.

Good Luck. Keep in touch.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »
xocy,

Well we will soon be meeting each other in Columbia, SC. With your Surgery being the same week as mine I am sure I will hear you kicking and screaming at some point..I'll be the one cool, calm and collective one until they stick me....

Lisa is SC
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 08:41:15 AM »
I wish the both of you the best of luck.  It is so nice to have someone else getting surgery at the same time.  You can support each other.  I think that is why so many of us De Smet hippies do so well.  We are normally together with a bunch of other hippies.  We talk about what hurts, how bad our hips were and how great they are going to be.  There were 8 of us when I was in Belgium and we gave each other such wonderful support.  We had a great time.  The positive attitude really helps the healing process.

Good Luck. You will soon be Gross Hippies!!!!!

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:10:29 PM »
I'm kicking and screaming and I'm not even there yet. Rifht now the only solution is prayer, alcohol, and drugs. Your surgery is on 6/23, right?
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
Yeah I am 1st surgery in the am on the 23rd....I'll look for the screamer..lol

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »
Where you been buddy? How are the new hips doing??????? Send me an update..Lisa

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
Mike,

Are you going to update everyone in Hippy Land on your progress??? Did you get that cane out of the truck yet?
Wish out follow-up appts were closer together so we could have lunch!

Take care!
Lisa

xocy

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »
I got carried away yesterday and got down on hands and knees, got shoulder deep in a compartment of my boat, and installed a battery. I tried not to break Dr. G's 90 degree rule. Bottom line, I think it streched out my gluts and they felt good today. Bad news is that where my quads attach at the top of my thighs were killing me last night until mid-day today.

Late this afternoon I walked 1.5 miles on a paved, measured trail. It wasn't without some discomfort, but it wasn't bad. It took about 34 - 35 minutes. Not too speedy. I carried the cane, but never had to use it.

I picked up the Lunesta and hope I will finally sleep tonight.

This is not to brag at all, but I want others to know that they will make fast progress if the do their exercises religiously. I thank God every day that he created this surgery and the drugs to make it tolerable.

Mike

Bilat
Dr. Gross
Lefty 6/23/08
Righty 6/25/08
Age - Older than dirt, but who's counting
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 12:58:43 AM »
Mike,

So I am looking forward to you taking a fellow hippy out on that boat some day...So you got down for the boat huh! Just like me getting down for my son... Ya gotta LIVE.....

Tell us more!!!!!!!!!!

take care and tell me all about the Lunesta..

Lisa

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
Mike,

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR 6 WEEK APPT.

Let me know what I'm in for next week when I go.

Lisa

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat