+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One year ago today  (Read 2079 times)

Arrojo

One year ago today
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
I was on the operating table, my leg detached from my hip so Dr. Su could put in the metal hip resurfacing implant. Today, I've run some road races, play hockey, have skied all winter, and just finished an extreme fitness program (P90X). I will soon determine if I can again sprint competitively at the masters level. Regardless of how that turns out, I feel like a million bucks; life is good.

Thank you, Pat, and my fellow hippies for all the advice and support, I am so happy with everything.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

mustang4172

Re: One year ago today
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:03:14 AM »
Wow - Congratulations!  That's what I like to hear.  I'm almost at 4 mos. post op with the bilateral procedure by Dr. Su and I think I'm about 80% back to where I want to be.  Planning on getting on my road bike this week and feeling pretty good kicking a soccer ball with my daughters. 

Thanks you for your inspiring post!

Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:29:31 AM »
Congrats, Arrojo - I remember you coming in. You've done a great job, looking good for the future. Enjoy today!
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

trgcfrg

• Hips Don't Lie
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »
Congratulations! I agree, this is a really inspiring post and helps keep me motivated for the long recovery (I'm one week post-op).
RBHR - 4/1/2013 Dr. Pritchett

http://hipsdontlie.azurewebsites.net/

OtterDriver

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
Excellent!  Great way to be approaching summertime as well!

Congratulations!

Bruce

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
Arroyo;

Congrats my friend, it sounds like the past year has been an interesting and renewing one for you.  Wish you all the best health and continued fantastic positive outlook going forward.

This HR stuff is magic.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
Excellent.  Great to hear stories like this.  I want to hear how the competitive sprinting goes, that will be interesting to see what you say about it. 

I just played soccer last night after watching a bunch of UEFA games on Fox Soccer and I'm no Messi and my lungs are still catching up, but I felt like it was all coming together again, responsive turns, light on the feet, easy sprinting.  Great fun and felt good.  Plus I was playing on the same team as my two 16 yr old boys. 8)

I think the notion of waiting a year and really taking your time getting back into a sport is huge.  Your story and others like it are good for folks early on to undertsand it takes time and we need to be patient. 

Good job!   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:22:18 PM »
'' life is good''

That's what I like to hear. It is hard to get speed back after the layoff from running but keep working on it.  I know you can get there!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »

Everything you accomplish with running is inspirational for me, Arrojo. Don't yet have any resurfacing but I am a "middle-distance" type runnner like you. I can only dream of competing at masters 1500m someday. Looking forward to hearing about all your experiences.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat