+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Exercise made it worse  (Read 3240 times)

RobinK

Exercise made it worse
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
I've followed all the rules since my operation, including being on crutches with no more than 75% weight-bearing for six weeks. Four days ago, I went for my six-week follow-up. X-ray looked good, and I was given a new exercise to help get rid of my limp: lie on non-operative side, top knee straight, and lift the top (operative) leg; 30 times morning, afternoon, and evening. By yesterday, I was in so much pain I could hardly walk! Needless to say, I haven't done any leg lifts since yesterday morning. I'm currently heart-broken. I read other people's stories about how quickly they are able to walk and how they're pain-free.

So, too much too soon? I'm not overweight, and I was fairly active until a few months before my surgery (due to the pain). My current plan is to pretty much stay off my feet until my hip settles down again, then maybe try ten leg lifts and see what happens.

Six weeks was a long wait, compared with other doctors' restrictions. But it appears I'll have to wait longer before I can resume my normal life. Other people have this much trouble?
R-BHR - Feb 2013 - Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital

Marco Polo

Re: Exercise made it worse
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
Robin:

First of all, don't get too discouraged.  As you have read on this site many times, every one heals at different rates.  I believe Dr. Brooks uses the anterolateral approach.  While he does not cut the abductors, they do get disrupted during surgery. This is not intended to be a negative comment, but to state that the healing process takes time.

Have you been doing physical therapy? One of the exercises I am doing that sounds similar to the leg lift you described, is to stand at the kitchen sink and lift my leg to the side multiple times.  This may help strengthen your abductors with less pain.

Be patient.  Listen to your body. You will get there!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:33:56 PM by Marco Polo »
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »
Robin

I am sorry to hear you are having problems.  We are all DIFFERENT.  What works for one does not always work for another and each of our bodies has its own timeline to heal.  You can't push it or wish it.  Some athletes have problems pushing and wanting to get there faster, but it won't work.

I would not worry.  Take it easy.  I definitely would not do as many of the exercises when you get back to normal.  Be gentle and moderate.

One thing that helps with the limp is to make sure you are doing a full heal to toe rock on the bottom of your foot as you walk.  Walk slowly and concentrate on a full heal to toe gait as you walk.  If you had a limp for a long time, it will often take as long or longer to get rid of it.  Your body is use to limping and that often causes problems with the other hip, knees or back.  It takes a long time to get back to normal after having hip surgery.

Just be patient and if something hurts - don't do it.  You know your body better than anyone else.  Be moderate and gentle on your body.  How any one else healed has no effect on your recovery.  I had a quick recovery from my hip resurfacing and people really use to criticize me for posting about it - saying I was lying or bragging.  Neither, it was what it was.  It took me months on end, however, to recover from my open heart surgery for a new aortic valve while others were walking and being normal much more quickly.

You are a unique individual and you need to judge your recovery only by yourself. Walking is an excellent exercise.  That is all I was given to do by Dr. De Smet - walk, walk and walk.  If you concentrate on your gait with the correct heal to toe movement, you will gradually improve.

Pat
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:24:59 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »
Robin dont get too down. We all heal differently!! I was in a S### state for several months post op and then all of a sudden I just took off! Now the only thing stopping me getting back in tip top shape is my work hours! I'm back doing judo and bjj 3 times a week with no problems with the hip!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

RobinK

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I feel like this is a bit of a setback, since right now my hip throbs constantly and I can't even do the exercises I was doing before.
While I am anxious to return to normalcy, I will try and try to remind myself that "it is what it is." It takes as long as it takes.

Marco,
Yes, I have been doing my home p.t. Three times a day, 30 each of: "marching" with operative leg only, and standing straight-legged lifts to the front, side, and rear. I had no problem with those, which made me think I'd have no problem with the new exercise.

Pat,
I will try to pay attention to the way I walk; thank you for the suggestion. And thank you for maintaining this site. It is invaluable.

Danny,
Wow!

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
Robin,

The first few days off crutches with the additional exercise did result in some extra soreness for me for a few days after my first bhr, but not to the degree you describe.  I would call Phil and ask for advice.   

The 2nd phase of the recovery does start once you are off crutches, and more weight bearing and new exercises stressing different muscles may mean more pain to some degree.  Hopefully this is just a passing aspect of the next phase.

Best regards for better days very oon,

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
Hey Robin.... I did the same exercises you describe, but at the beginning, did not do thirty.

I started with three sets of three first, then three sets of five and eventually three sets of ten. It took several weeks to get to the point where 3 sets of ten were possible and comfortable.

I think you suffered a setback from too much too early for you. If you rest, then try a smaller set at first, you might find that you can get to thirty in good time.

Don't get discouraged, we've all had setbacks through our recuperations.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »
Robin,
Please do not get discouraged.  This is Dr. Brook's standard exercise that he tells his nurse or assistant to tell everyone to start at 6 weeks.  I looked at the nurse when she told me the exercise and asked her is she could do 90 of these in a day and she smiled and said no, and she had good hips.  I had to work up to my good side just to be able to do 30 at a time because I feel it is best to balance all exercises.  If you do it on one side you should do it on the other. 

Start with a few on each side and work your way up.  Stop when the pain begins and don't overdue it.  If you need to take a few days off, do it.  And walk, walk, walk.
Bill

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

RobinK

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
More good advice. Thank you.

I'm taking NSAIDs and icing and taking time off from just about everything. The pain is easing up and I'm actually pain-free for a few minutes in the morning.

I will definitely slow down and ease into any increased activity. That's so logical that I feel silly for not doing it in the first place!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat